The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Static on Tel
Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2017 10:06 am    

When playing my Tele I sometimes get a static sound when I touch the pickguard.If I rub it you get a continuing cracklinig static sound. I have checked all the grounds and found nothing wrong. I even put a piece of aluminum foil between the body and the pick guard and grounded it hpoing that would help. It didn't. It doesn't happen all of the time, but sometimes can be quite annoying. Any suggestions?

Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2017 1:32 pm    

Sure Jim...If the Tele has standard tele 2 single coil pickup wiring I'll give you a couple ideas: If the guitar cavities are unshielded, you can use copper shielding tape to shield all cavities.

2 easier ideas to try first: If the bridge plate (not the bridge pickup wires) has a ground wire soldered to the pot, try lifting that ground. Simply clip that wire off at the pot and see if that works. If it works just tape off the end of the wire. If not you'll have to re-solder it.

Next: You can try a piece of 22 gauge wire and simply solder it from the top of one pot to the other pot. If you don't have soldering skills or proper soldering iron, definitely take the Tele to someone who does.

Last week I had a well shielded tele that had those same symptoms and lifting the bridge plate ground did the trick. Winking

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2017 11:01 pm    

Try rubbing a piece of an anti-static dryer strip (such as Bounce or something comparable) on the pickguard. Rub it all over. When it got real cold (and hence dry) here the last week or two, I had that problem with a couple of pickguards, and this completely eliminated the problem. It's been a week or so since I did it, the static hasn't come back so far.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 8:32 am    

Second Dave's post....I have a wonderful Tokai tele that is prone to this too. Took it off and did the anti static cloth thing on both sides.....gone!

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 9:57 am    

ditto Dave & Ross --

problem went away when i for other reasons changed out the pickguard --

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 11:14 am    

Will Get some static cling sheets today. Would never have thoght to try that. Thanks all.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 6:09 pm    

Another thing to check:
Measure the resistance between the neck pickup cover and ground on the 1/4" jack or the control plate. It should read 0 ohms or very close to it. I have seen the solder joint to the cover break loose which leaves the pickup cover totally floating and causes the same problem that has been discussed in this post.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 10:27 pm     The Old Tele Static.

I cured the static on my black guard Tele by painting the pick guard satin black. Not wanting to paint the aged white pick guard on my “Joe Strummer” Tele, I simply put a piece of clear packing tape across the pick guard, just below the bridge pickup. No more static.

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 9:46 am    

It makes your guitar smell surprisingly fresh also.
I am going to try this on my B-bender Telecaster. I I changed the pickups and pick-guard assembly, and grounded it correctly but it still has the hand static going on.
Lefty

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 7:25 pm    

Before you do anything else -

1. Have you checked your wall outlet to make sure it's grounded and has the correct polarity?

2. Does the amp have a properly grounded power cord?

Either of these can cause the problem you mention, regardless of the guitar's ground connections. Wall outlet wiring issues are a very common source of similar problems.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 9:16 am    

Jim's advice is indeed a very good place to start.
Proper power connections are critical.

I've encountered this static problem on several teles.

I fixed one by making the back of the pick guard conductive with this spray.
You don't have to bring it all the way out to the edge, so it's invisible.

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Conductive-Coating-Aerosol/dp/B01N01RNFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516209300&sr=8-1&keywords=conductive+spray+paint

Then a tiny bit of copper adhesive foil to connect it to the system ground. Probably massive overkill, but it sure worked.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 7:56 pm    

Jim Sliff, has a good idea there. I just went through a month of this with my steels and amps. I was get buzzing noise, had a 60 cycle hum, the sound was distorted. I changed everything I could think of, cables, strings, volume pedal. After everything, I finally tried changing the out let, and was the problem. I had worked fine for many years with no problem. I just changed it tonight. I check the plug with a tester, and it checks OK, not sure why it caused this yet.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 10:00 pm    

jim, did you test it with a multimeter or an outlet tester?

A multimeter may how an outlet as "working" fine, but if the polarity is reversed it can cause all kinds of grief with guitar rigs. An outlet tester is a $6 tool that I used on every gig I played for 30+ years. It's amazing how many venues...and homes...have 3-prong outlets wired without grounds or with the polarity reversed.

It also surprises me how many gigging players don't realize AC power has polarity. Not paying attention to it carries a danger of shock...even electrocution.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional