The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  SADDLE finger picks Now come with a "W" crimp
Richard McVicker

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2017 6:07 am    

To increase the axial retention on the SADDLE finger picks we now include a "W" shaped crimp in the bottom of the retainer ring. This further increases the resistance for the picks to come off while playing. If you own a set of SADDLE picks you can form this "W" crimp with a pare of needle nose pliers. saddlethumbpicks.com

Carlos Polidura

Puerto Rico
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 12:27 pm    

What material are these made off?

Richard McVicker

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 5:49 am    

Carlos
These are .20 gauge nickel/silver. I know steal players like a heaver pick, but I have never understood if they like .25 gauge because they are heaver or if it is because of the thicker material makes it stiffer.
If is because of the stiffer material you can make thin metal stiffer by forming ribs in the direction of desired thickness, like metal roofs, and then have the stiffness of thicker material and lightness of the thinner material.
Just stamp a small "V" in the neck between the spoon and the base of the pick with a screwdriver .
These picks span the full length of to the first joint and not just dangle on the first half of the end of the finger . go back now and look again at the video at the web site.

John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2018 5:03 am    

I've probably tried every finger pick out there, but I stopped searching for secure, comfortable picks once I found the Saddle Pick. I love them. Don't fall off and don't hurt no matter how long I have them on. I probably won't try the new mod since I don't have trouble with them as is.

Great product, Richard.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2018 7:21 am    

To my ears, stiffer fingerpicks produce a fuller and more articulate sound. I recently tried Dunlop .020 picks for comfort (had been using Nationals for decades) and the "tone" difference was disappointing. Moved up to the Dunlop .025's and they are definitely bettter sounding, though still not as crisp full as the Nattys.

I tried a set of Saddle Picks which stayed-on better than any other fingerpick but I could not get used to the blade shape or thinner gauge. I would definitley like to see a Saddle Pick in .025 with a traditional blade, but also undrstand that the small size of the steel guitar market would not make re-tooling cost effective.

Lately, I've had good results with the heavy Dunlops after roughing-up the inner finger contact surface by using a scribe, plus adding a small band of shrink wrap on the lower bands, "Plast-Dip" coating worked nicely too but lost its tackiness and started peeling after a few days of use.

Richard McVicker

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2018 11:14 am    

Tony
If you have a set of SADDLE picks why don"t you try to stamp the small "V" in the base of the pick as I suggested above and see if they sound like the .25 gauge. Metal can be made stiffer by forming as well as by making it thicker.
In answer to my question above, is because you like something heaver on your finger. Also you can take a Dremel tool and put the exact shape in the SADDLE pick blade you like.

Steven Pearce

Port Orchard Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 11:26 am     Thanks Richard

Saddle picks are the BEST. Try em.
Steve