The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is this a 1960s Fender Model 400 Pedal Steel?
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2018 10:50 am    

Hi, guys! Thanks for ALL your help! It sold to a happy steel player for about $600.

I recently picked up this steel at a vintage guitar show. Plays and sounds really nice as is, but it's missing pedals (and maybe more?). My best guess is this is a 1960s Model 400. I'd appreciate any info you can give me. Need to decide what I'm gonna do with it. Thanks!

Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Last edited by Mark Helm on 29 Mar 2018 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2018 12:31 pm    

It’s closer to 1963 I think, because it has the skinny Jaguar style pickup instead of the Jazzmaster style pickup that the earlier long scale guitars had. I think they changed around 1963 or 1964.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2018 6:28 pm    

Dave is correct. The pickup, changer, and pulleys all indicate a guitar made 1963 or later. Hopefully, you got a good deal because buying a pedalboard and rods for it will likely set you back another few hundred dollars.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2018 6:44 pm    

I assume at the Nashville show in Franklin, eh? I did that show for quite a while, just haven't been able to get there the last couple of years.

Of course, Dave and Donny know these guitars. If you're real patient, you might find a pedal bar w/ pedals, rods, and so on, without breaking the bank. Might make a cool console steel as-is. It sure looks clean, and the blonde is cool.

I have a sunburst Fender 800 - 10-string with 6 pedals - from '65 or '66. The Jag-style pickups sound great to me. But I play a Jag in my surf band, so I'm biased.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2018 8:26 pm    

Mark, it's a 1963 or later 400.

Your best bet would be to post pictures and info on the Facebook Fender pedal steel page. That's where 700+ members of the Fender pedal steel world hang out. They'll either have the parts you need, be able to find you sources or one of the active member needs it.

Please don't sell it on eBay or to an unknown person - there are a few eBay sellers lurking around that are stripping parts off these guitars, selling the pieces and permanently destroying them. That guitar is restorable and it'd be a shame to see it parted out.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2018 8:51 pm     Jim: I hear Ya...

Jim:

I hear ya. I DO NOT want to sell it on eBay. I will post it here and on the Facebook forum first--And I will let it go for what I paid for it before I do that. I'm not looking to make more than a few bucks for my time and trouble lugging it back from the show, taking the pics, then packing it up properly and shipping it off. Or maybe a trade for a lap steel. We'll see--but I am extremely grateful to everyone here for their time and knowledge. You guys are awesome.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Chance Wilson

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 10:54 am    

I posted some identifying Fender details in no pedalers-It’s ‘64 or later-No black cases in 63.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 1:42 pm    

Cases were sometimes swapped in the music stores. I know that to be a fact because I saw it happen. Winking

Rich Gibson

Pittsburgh Pa.
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 1:54 pm    

Looks like there’s a a set of pedals/pedalboard legs and rods for this on eBay by aforementioned parts guy
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162965378925

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 6:42 pm     Wow!

I wouldn't be surprised if there were its missing pedals! Thanks!

Rich Gibson

Pittsburgh Pa.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 5:34 am    

Yeah sure looks like it could be...

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 9:04 am    

I would bid big on those parts.. All you would ever need to keep that old 400 up and running for years, its right there.. I doubt those parts are from your guitar.. Yours was a 4 pedal, and everything except the pedal rack and rods are still there.. The auction stuff is from a 6 pedal, and contains the roller, cables, and those weird fulcrums Fender used to attach pull rods to cables, not to mention changer fingers... I would advise you to grab that stuff up.. You can sell what you don't use for a decent buck, if thats what you want to do.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 9:58 am    

Those parts are from a Fender 800, though they would probably work on your 400. That's certainly a dynamite price..so far. (Usually that stuff would go for triple the current $150 bid.)

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 10:59 am    

Donny is correct.. I did not notice the 10 slots in that changer plate.. I don't think the fingers would work... The 800 was double raise/lower, the 400 is not.. No matter, everything else would work.. Never saw a white 800 pedal rack, might have been refinished at some point, or possible a custom order... Still, a great deal on those parts,,, as Donny said,, so far!... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 11:51 am    

The absence of a decal in the middle of the pedalboard, since the 400 blond 'boards had the decal in the center, and the attached Fender amplifier logo on the end is what leads me to believe that's a refinished 800 'board. Also, there's the fact that the 800's came standard with 6 pedals. Nothing written in stone, but these are all "indicators".

(The changer plate in the other listing is a 400, BTW.)