The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Will changing Carter D-10 string gauges cause problems?
Scott Akers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 9:18 pm    

When I first acquired my first PSG, a Carter D-10, about 6 years ago, the E9 neck had Jagwire Paul Franklin's on it.
.013, .015, .012, . 015, .018, .020, .026, .030, .034, .038

They were replaced by Ernie Ball's, the only strings I could find in a local music shop. Not my favorite.

When I discovered the Jagwire website, I wanted to try nickel, so I ordered the Ricky Davis set. I like them and have had no tuning problems.
.013, .015, .012, . 014, .018, .022w, .026, .030, .034, .038

As I read through the Carter manual today I realized that these are not the gauges originally recommended. The recommended Carter gauges are lighter.
.012, .015, .11R, .014, .017, .022, . 026, .030, .034, .036

I'm about to order new strings and I noticed that Jaqwire has a Carter-Starter set and maybe 1 or 2 other sets listed with the gauges recommended in the manual. Should I be using these instead? Just want to make sure that by using heavier gauge strings I'm not causing any damage or future problems to the guitar's mechanical parts.
Thanks

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 10:09 pm     Re: Will changing Carter D-10 string gauges cause problems?

Scott Akers wrote:
When I discovered the Jagwire website, I wanted to try nickel, so I ordered the Ricky Davis set. I like them and have had no tuning problems.
.013, .015, .012, . 014, .018, .022w, .026, .030, .034, .038
I recommend you stick with those 'Jagwire Ricky Davis' sets, as it is unlikely that you will find string-sets that will suit your Carter any better.

Generally: as long as you can get the raises and lowers you want, what string-set you choose is a matter of overall balance and tuning stability, and taste.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2017 9:50 am    

About the only problem you might run into is with the 6th string. If you lower that string from G# to F# you might need to stick with a plain string, not a wound.
Erv

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2017 10:01 am    

I had a Carter D-10 (Tommy White's old one, actually) for a while and I wasn't aware that there may have been a maker's recommendation.

I put my usual E9 strings on it (Jagwire 'Paul Franklin') and experienced no difficulties.

Scott Akers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2017 10:30 am    

Thanks for the responses. They got me to thinking(which may be dangerous and reveal further my lack of knowledge regarding the psg at this early stage of learning))

Looking back at a copedant chart I probably created when I first got this thing, I wrote that my 6th string lowered from G# to F#, using an up lever between my e and f levers. This same lever raises my 1st string F# to a G#. I could have made a mistake while writing down my copedent, but am not sure.

In reality, at present, this up lever only lowers my 6th string from G# to G, not all the way down to F#. Not what my original chart says. Is that a change anyone else uses?

As I don't use it that much at this stage, I probably wouldn't have noticed if a string change caused the half step variation, changing whatever major chord you're playing in grip 3 to a minor of the same chord. I should have.....Big difference!!!!

I wonder if it originally lowered all the way to F# but my heavier gauge wound string now only allows it to go to G. If this is the case, would putting an unwound string there allow for the full whole step drop?

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2017 10:40 am    

An unwound 6th string will allow you to go lower than with a wound. You will of course then also have to retune the raise to A.

FWIW: I prefer a 22Wound 6th string on all my PSGs - for tonal reasons, and lower it to F# with split to G with the B pedal on all. Some can barely lower a wound that far ... don't know what your Carter allows for.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2017 10:41 am    

Scott,
Yes, some changers will not handle the whole tone drop with a wound string, necessitating the need for a plain string.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2017 11:17 am    

Georg Sørtun wrote:

FWIW: I prefer a 22Wound 6th string on all my PSGs - for tonal reasons, and lower it to F# with split to G with the B pedal on all. Some can barely lower a wound that far ... don't know what your Carter allows for.

Yes, a Carter changer will handle a full-tone lower using a wound 6th string. I had to move the rod on mine (since it was originally set up for a plain string), but it works fine.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2017 1:38 pm    

Yes my String gauges with Jagwire are designed for the 24" scale; which is what a Carter is. Carter and MSA and sho~bud and other shorter(24") scale manufacturers seem to always recommend the popular string gauges from the Longer scale(24 1/4 & 1/2) which is very common as they will help push particular string manufactures. But take it from even one of the most recorded pedal steel player Paul Franklin and he plays a 24 1/4" scale on his Franklin and he does not use the wimpy string gauge selection for the longer scale steels...as he being the very smart player he is; found a most stable tuning and intonation and tension playability with the gauges he uses now.(oh and I'm now even using a .015p like Paul on my 4th string E....thanks Paul...you'da Man!!!)
Ricky

Scott Akers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2017 2:21 pm    

I put a plain .020 on the 6th and now it lowers like it should, though
I think I prefer the sound and feel of the wound string in Ricky’s set.

Maybe it’s time for me to learn to adjust the rod to make this possible!

Thanks for all the replies everybody. So helpful. Ricky, thanks for chiming in and all the classic psg intro, solo, outro tabs that You’ve worked out and formerly posted. A great resource for sure!!!

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2017 2:50 pm    

You're welcome Scott and thank you for the kind supportive words.
Now back to the strings..ha...I LOVE the wound 6th; as I learned why and how it blends and sounds more in-tune than the other; years and years ago from Lloyd Green. I also have Lloyd Maines using it now. Getting rid of the plain .020 or .022; just to me got rid of those nasty overtones that always sound out of tune to me. Also YES, I use the G# to G lower...I love it...Here's one of the many ways to use it...nice turn from G to G7.
Tab:

G         G7
4.______________
5._10a~~11A~~10a
6._10b~~11L~~10L
7.______________

But you'll have to make sure you put back your lower from G# to F# back to G# to G...ha.
Here's my copedent:

Ricky

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2017 3:09 pm    

Scott, if you decide to go to a wound .022 for the 6th, here is what I did on my Carter, starting out from factory default:

On the B-pedal's raise rod: Move the rod up one notch on the bellcrank (away from the cross shaft). This step is optional, but it keeps the travel and feel of the pedal more similar to using a plain 6th.

On the knee-lever's lower rod: Move the rod up two notches on the bellcrank (it will end up in the slot farthest from the cross shaft).

I also had to slightly increase the amount of knee lever travel by adjusting the stop screw in order to get the lower to fully reach the target note.

Other things to consider: after tuning it up, the B-pedal height increased as a result of the rodding change, so I adjusted the height down to where it was before; it just needed one turn of the connector to get it back down into position.

Also, adjusted my tuning method to take into account a bit less cabinet raise on that wound 6th string compared to a plain string (i.e., the E-lower will be tuned flatter in order to match the new improved open 6th string in the minor chord position; it doesn't shoot up as sharp as a plain string would when you lower the E's).

Tuning stability is WAY better with a wound 6th.

Good luck!

Scott Akers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2017 5:33 pm    

Thanks for the help Georg, Erv, Roger, Tucker, and Ricky! This is a great community.

Tucker, thanks for the info on how you changed your Carter.
Gonna try and move the rod to accommodate the 22w asap.

Tonight.