The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone use STEREO MIX PLUS to get STEREO MIX?
Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2017 6:42 pm    

I just got my computer changed back to Windows 7. I noticed my Dell recording sound card won't give me STEREO MIX, so I can record what comes through my computer speakers. When I had Windows 10, I had a Realtek sound card, and it was easy to enable STEREO MIX.

I searched for some info on this and found 2 things. One person on a computer forum said to get STEREO MIX he installed the Realtek drivers, which gave him the STEREO MIX feature. Next, I found STEREOMIXPLUS.COM, that says it can add another audio card that has STEREO MIX. It looks like a free download. Since my computer repair was for a bad hard drive and virus extraction, I'm very nervous about any downloads. So, I'm asking if anyone has used Stereo Mix Plus, to find out if it's a safe download, and of course if it works! Thanks.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 3:05 am    

If you had "Realtek" on Win 10, you still have Realtek on Win 7. Realtek is a sound chip on the motherboard. You just need the correct Realtek driver. If you had it originally in Win 7 then the Dell Realtek driver will again give you Stereo Mix.

What is the exact Dell model and number? I can find the Dell driver.

If you didn't install a sound driver when you reinstalled Win 7, chances are Windows installed the generic, basic function, High Definition Audio driver which does not have Stereo Mix. Installing the Realtek in this case will fix it.

There are several 3rd party add-ons that emulate Stereo Mix. I haven't heard of this one, but as noted get the correct Realtek driver and you will have Stereo Mix and won't have to install another program (that may or may not be compatible).

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 12:51 pm    

OK, here is what comes up when I click on the PLAYBACK and RECORDING tabs.....

That Dell no./model is all I can find...Dell ST2421L
Is this it? Thanks.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 3:18 am    

As I suspected you only have the generic, basic function, High Definition Audio driver and not the Realtek.

The Dell model number would be, as examples Inspiron 15 5577, XPS 720, Inspiron 660S, etc.

If you don't know what the model number is, send me a forum PM with the Service Tag number and I can find out from that. Dell considers the Service Tag number personal data and the reason to send me a PM with that.

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 2:23 pm    

Before I send a PM with private data, I need to know if I'm looking in the right place.
This is what is displayed and all of the listing is not shown in this print screen....

Anyway, when I scroll down looking at all that's listed, I can't find the specific terms you're asking--SERVICE TAG and MODEL NO.? Could they be named a different way?

Also, I'm wondering if it would be better to try and install the correct REALTEK drivers. But, when I was trying to get info about the REALTEK drivers, I found info that said you had to uninstall your current drivers before you install the REALTEK drivers--is this true? That's what I'm confused about.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 3:14 pm    

The model number should be somewhere on the PC, maybe a sticker. The service tag is a sticker, could be on top, on the rear, on the bottom of a desktop, on laptops its usually on the bottom or in the battery compartment.

The free Belarc Advisor program MAY list what the Dell model is. www.belarc.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 3:11 am    

I answered this on a PM. As it turns out it isn't a "Dell", its a Gateway. But the standard Realtek driver will work.

FWIW here is the link to the Realtek driver, which is for Win 7/8/8.1/10

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 11:22 am    

OK, sorry about the misunderstanding on the model--I thought you were asking about the sound card itself.

Well, I just downloaded the Realtek drivers from the address you gave me and it was successful.

On my RECORDING tab window it showed REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO--STEREO MIX. I enabled it and all looks well.

So, one of my questions was answered, that you can ADD drivers to what you already have.

I learned a lot from this and thanks a million!

Butch