The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Replacing the cone in a dobro.
Chase Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 8:06 am    

I've had my Adams dobro for 3 1/2 years now. I've never done anything to it except keeping it clean. I got to thinking maybe there is some sort of normal maintenance I should be doing, so I googled "resonator maintenance". I found this on Beard's website:
"We recommend cone replacement after 2 years of regular playing. Pro players like Jerry Douglas replace their cones at least once a year."
!!!
Upon further searching, I discovered that this is pretty much a Bluegrass thing. Blues players tend to treasure vintage cones. Mine still sounds good to my uneducated ear, but I'm pretty isolated. This is the only resonator instrument I've ever owned and I don't really know any other dobroists. So what's your opinion? Should they be changed regularly? The present cone is a Beard Legend.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 8:21 am    

If I was playing as much as Jerry Douglas, and it was my living, (and I probably don't have to pay for it) then yeah, I'd swap out the cones every year. For us mere mortals, my legend cones sound just fine after 3 years.

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 8:24 am    

Beard has stated that cones need to be changed every 1-2 years depending on how heavily they are played. Now he is an upstanding guy, so I'm sure he believes this. But I don't. At least not for most of us mortals.

The earliest bluegrass dobro players played on decades-old cones and made classic sounds and recordings with them. I don't think ALL bluegrass players would feel compelled to change out a vintage cone in good working order. But at the same time its so easy to swap back and forth that curiosity gets the best of people and they often want to try things. A lot of the cone swapping happens on cheap or mediocre guitars anyway, and can hardly help but improve things. I have an 11yo Beard cone I'm perfectly happy with. People like to tinker, but perhaps as much energy should just be focused on playing.

The likelihood is that your cone is just fine as it is.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 9:20 am    

That being said, I did swap out my old MA cone for the new Legend cone a few years ago and it was a dramatic improvement in sound.

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 9:58 am    

I use my Dobro for bluegrass, have had the same cone it in for more than 50 years and have never noticed any degradation in the sound. Most people would benefit more by changing the strings.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 11:45 am    

Robert Allen wrote:
Most people would benefit more by changing the strings.

You're absolutely right !!!

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 1:01 pm    

I've defaulted to a new cone every 3-5 years and have always noticed a difference. In the "off years" I do give the guitar an annual internal inspection and always keep the cone as clean as possible.

Really, the degradation happens so slowly and subtly that you might not notice or care. But, I'd wager you'd hear the difference with a new cone.

My strings also get changed before & after every gig and frequently during personal practice.

I consider myself a contemporary player and I play modern instruments for the most part so my requirements & preferences might be different then some folks.

Full disclosure:

I spent the better part of a decade working for Paul Beard so you can take the above fwiw.

and of course ymmv

hp

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 1:02 pm    

Robert Allen wrote:
I use my Dobro for bluegrass, have had the same cone it in for more than 50 years and have never noticed any degradation in the sound. Most people would benefit more by changing the strings.

OK.....my apologies.....but..........
I'm with Bob on this one. Every 50 years or so whether they need it or not! Razz

Last edited by Bill Groner on 27 Dec 2017 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 1:06 pm    

Bill Groner wrote:

Are the cones purchased from Beard? I guess I'm surprised he doesn't recommend they be changed every 6 months. KA-CHING! Razz

Well, that was unpleasant.

h

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 1:09 pm    

I would get a Scheerhorn cone IMHO

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 1:13 pm    

gary pierce wrote:
I would get a Scheerhorn cone IMHO

Another fine cone.

Options are good.

h

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 1:19 pm    

"Are the cones purchased from Beard? I guess I'm surprised he doesn't recommend they be changed every 6 months. KA-CHING!"

I'm hoping that was meant as a joke. Paul Beard is one of the nicest, kindest, and talented luthiers I know. I have spent hours on the phone with him asking his advice on guitars that aren't even his that I found used. I own four beard guitars, including an 8 string and I find them to be the finest any where.

He is one of the good guys

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 1:39 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
"Are the cones purchased from Beard? I guess I'm surprised he doesn't recommend they be changed every 6 months. KA-CHING!"

I'm hoping that was meant as a joke. Paul Beard is one of the nicest, kindest, and talented luthiers I know. I have spent hours on the phone with him asking his advice on guitars that aren't even his that I found used. I own four beard guitars, including an 8 string and I find them to be the finest any where.

He is one of the good guys

Pardon my ignorance. I just have a hard time imagining what can go wrong with a spun metal cone? So what exactly does go wrong? And yes, it was meant to be funny, but not all my jokes are taken as such. Again, my apology.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 1:51 pm    

I'm not an expert, maybe Howard can tell you. But if Paul Beard says they should be replaced, then they should be replaced. Or, call up Paul yourself and ask. He has always been generous (more than generous) with his time with me. I will say this: if you do not have a beard legend cone (or a scheerhorn cone - i have no direct experience with those, plenty with the legend cone) the effect is dramatic. Not just by a little, by a LOT. Like night and day.

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 1:55 pm    

Howard Parker wrote:

Really, the degradation happens so slowly and subtly that you might not notice or care. But, I'd wager you'd hear the difference with a new cone.
hp

I tried of few new cones over the years and the sound was very poor compared to the original cone. The only way to know for sure would be to replace the present cone with a new unused vintage cone. Not many of those around. The recordings I've made in later years sound better than the recordings from the 50's but that could be attributed to improvements in recording equipment and improvements in my playing. Or maybe new cones go bad quicker than vintage cones?

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 1:57 pm    

Oxidation and fatigue.

A story:

Beard Guitars is not in the parts business. He's in the resonator guitar business.

Modern cones are made of very different alloys then cones of the past and the trend in modern resonator guitars is extended responsiveness and frequency range, particularly in the bass. That's why the "modern" guitar is so much larger then traditional Dobro or Regals of the 1930-through the Gibson era.

When players like Mike Auldridge, Jerry Douglas and a whole raft of contemporary players approached Tim Scheerhorn and Paul Beard for these responsive axes both luthiers recognized that the cone had to be rethought in order to deliver on these different types of instruments. Alloys changed and spinning techniques changed to make the cones more responsive.

The upside was a new generation of guitars. If there is a downside it's that the cones became thinner and more reactive to the environment resulting in (for some players) a more frequent replacement.

Like I said previously, you might not care but guys like Mike, Jerry and plenty others do and therefore consider a more frequent replacement the cost of doing business. That includes Jerry's stint with the Earls of L. At first with his pre-war 37 and now with the Deco-Phonc 37. The consensus is the cones are dramatically better and bring out the best characteristics of the instrument.

I could go on but that is the gist of it.

h

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 2:08 pm    

I'll add that the changes in cone design and technology isn't a new thing for the Dobro.

We've gone from stamped cones to spun cones. In the early 1990's it was John Quarterman with his advancements. His cones were wildly popular. Then came Beard's BC-1 and most recently the Beard "Legend Cone" and Scheerhorn cone.

Each maker has fans and advocates.

h

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 2:33 pm    

I swapped the Scheerhorn cone in my W/S for a new one from Elderly. I couldn't tell any difference at all.

I put the old one back in thinking I could sell the new one easier. No takers however.

I'm thinking about selling the guitar, so I'll probably put the new one back in there just so I can say it has a new 'horn cone, but I swear to you I cannot hear one whit's bit of difference in the 2 and I think of myself as having discriminating ears.

I can see if your guitar gets bounced around a lot touring or the bridge saddles bump against the hand rest etc. Certainly no harm changing them I guess. Chances are it will sound just as good or better.

Don't know about those old vintage cones. There might very well be some magic in the alloys from those days and what's available today. I'm not qualified to say. Not everybody subscribes to what is referred to as the modern sound either.

I read about players changing strings between gigs. Seems like that would cost a fortune if you play a lot or unless you have sponsors supplying them.

I'm sure brand new fresh strings sound crisper, but I don't know anybody in my crowd that can afford to change 'em like that. I certainly can't. Each to his own and whatever works for you though.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 3:03 pm    

I can only relate my own personal experiences.

Dobro/reso is my primary instrument.

I play in a style that evolved originally from Josh Graves. I am "contemporary".

I keep my favorite string vendor happy. I do play a LOT.

I do not have an endorsement deal and I buy regularly by the box. Laughing

I know I am not alone in this matter. I belong to more than one "support group" Cool

ymmv.

Cheers

hp

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 3:58 pm    

A new cone, and set up every 3 to 5 yrs is good, and also I like the new NYXL strings.

Chase Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 4:46 pm    

Thanks to all who replied. I think I'm going to stick with this cone for awhile. Maybe the next time I get set to do some home recording, I'll give some thought to a change. That brings up another question. Is there a break-in period when you change a cone before is starts to sound good?

- Chase

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 5:16 pm    

I guess, in theory.

Don't over think this. just play the thing. Very Happy

h

Bob Moore

N. Rose, New York
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 5:38 pm    

What is the basic price for a new cone? Bob M

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 6:29 pm    

Beard standard cone $55-60 depends where you buy it.

Premium Beard Legend cone is $80 same for Quarterman and Scheerhorn.

These are the most used in better and high end spider bridge resonator guitars.

Mike Replogle also spins cones that are about $60. Don't know much about those though. US maker who supplied cones for later Gibson Dobro and others.

Bob Moore

N. Rose, New York
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 4:01 pm    

Thanks. Bob M