The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  An idea for an easy cheap wristrest
Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2017 7:48 pm    

The guitar I am currently using doesn't have a wristrest. I found some spare pieces of the blue foamboard. Cut 4 strips and glued them together and used velcro to stick to the guitar. Actually is pretty ridged for a wrist rest. I wouldn't lean on it with my elbow or something like that. But its solid. My only concern is the self stick velcro might do something to the finish of the guitar. Its portable, cheap and probably weighs less than a pound! Cover with cloth and it will be comfortable an look nice. Here are some pics. maybe you can take this idea and make it better!

K

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2017 10:36 pm    

I do *not* recommend using self-stick Velcro (especially the "Industrial" "Heavy-Duty" and any higher-duty types) on any coated surfaces.

Some of the adhesives can eat into and/or discolor certain lacquers and discolor some polyurethanes and polyesters. I've also seen some types react with plastics like Formica over time by leaching out additives that keep the stuff slightly flexible and shrink-resistant.

I use adhesive Velcro on non-critical coated surfaces under guitars - only if I really don't care if the coating fails or not. Other than that I'd use it on metal surfaces only.

FWIW I spent decades in the coatings/solvets/adhesives business.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 5:17 am    

Yea, I figured as much. That adhesive is very strong. I will go back to my first method which was to wrap non stick Velcro around the very edges of the guitar and tighten the Velcro. Connects and disconnects easily but not nearly as stable and the Velcro will sometimes slip off the edges. Then I will see what I can do from there.

k

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2017 8:16 am    

I,ve seen somewhere that you can actually order bolt on padsfor pedalsteels, but I can't remember where. If I can find it again I will let you know. Jack

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2017 10:38 am    

Don Blood.

http://www.donblood.net/index.html
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.