The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Hudson Modified “G” 6-string - Please Remove
Dave Taylor

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 6:03 pm    

I bought a Hudson E9 6-string, 2 pedals, 2 knee levers guitar to attempt to learn the pedal steel. It really helped to the point that I felt ready for a full scale version. So, I bought a Stage One ZumSteel Encore.

That left me with the Hudson, which I no longer needed. I attempted to sell it on this forum, but, with no interest, I removed it.

I started thinking that here I had an extra pedal steel, and that I could probably repurpose it so that it could be more useful. I had the idea that the guitar could perhaps be modified to a different tuning so it would not be just a scaled down E9 guitar.

I also have a “dobro” resonator, and a 6 string G tuned lap steel, both from Jackson Steel Guitars. Each of these instruments has a string pulling mechanism (developed by the Jacksons) to change the I chord to a IV chord – the same as the A and B pedals on the E9 Steel.

I called Jimmy Hudson and discussed the possibility of modifying the pedals and knee levers on the 6-string Hudson to a standard GBDGBD “dobro” tuning, with the pedals and levers changing the chords to the corresponding chords on the E9 Steel. That we did (see the chart below). Now, without the pedals and levers it can be played as a 6 string “dobro” with the flexibility of having the other chords readily available. I also requested that, in case this didn’t work out, he allow the possibility of changing the guitar back to the E9 tuning. He replaced the welded cranks with adjustable ones with set screws. I also had Jimmy extend the legs by 1 inch for more leg room.

I also installed a new pickup with volume and tone controls, and made some new pedal pull rods.

I made about a 15 minute video explaining what I did, and how the instrument works, and also attempted a couple of songs to demonstrate the workings of the new tuning. I will sent a link to that video on request.

The instrument works great, and has very nice tone.

As it turns out, I just have too much stuff, and I need some room.

The instrument comes with a hard case. I am asking $800 plus shipping.

Thanks,
David

Last edited by Dave Taylor on 15 Jan 2018 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 7:17 pm    

I'd love to see the video, please!

Rufus Lisanby

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 2:38 pm     Hudson

I am interested in your guitar,would you send link to video?Thanks

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 2:39 pm     Re: Hudson

Rufus Lisanby wrote:
I am interested in your guitar,would you send link to video?Thanks

Rufus......I'm NOT the seller. Please stop sending me Private Messages!! You want to talk to Dave Taylor, the guy who posted this thread.

Rufus Lisanby

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 2:45 pm     Hudson

Sorry Jim

Dave Taylor

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2017 10:12 am     Let's try again

There are a lot of lookers, but not much interest at my asking price. So, I will accept the best offer for this machine providing you pay the shipping. I will withdraw this posting on January 15, 2018, and give Ebay a try. I still need the room.
David Taylor

Dave Taylor

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 11:18 am    

This guitar is no longer for sale. Thanks to the forum for a great service - we'll miss you.
d.t.