The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pac-A-Seats
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 9:53 am    

When were the first pac a seats showing up. I see a lot of the older videos of shows and players and they are all using chairs. Just wondering when the seats first started being used and who made the first ones.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 10:28 am    

Not quite sure but I heard Duane Marrs invented them in the early 70s.

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 5:18 pm    

I remember Sho Bud pac a seats in the early 70’s. Wasn’t able to get one until later 70’s.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 5:34 pm    

I think Jack Heern did the Jac-Pac, or something like that...my memory ain't all that good. Not sure who was first.

Yeah, I bought a seat from the Jackson's there on Broadway in 1981 or 82....still have it....it's the one I use today. Been recovered and repaired a few times...still going...I ordered it when I was there one weekend...it did not come with the Sho-Bud badge though.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 6:36 pm    

I purchased my ACE seat back in the mid to late 1970s as I recall. I'm still using it.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 9:25 pm    

Great guys, thanks for the info. Pac a seats were already being used when I started playing and just about thought you had to have one to play, lol. Then I saw some guys stting on chairs, their cases, milk crates and just about everything and they sounded great.😜

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 3:11 am    

When I lived in Austin mid 70's Lucky Oceans got me a Sho-Bud seat for $44.00 because Asleep at the wheel had an endorsement with Sho-Bud,He brought it back to Austin on the bus so I didn't have to pay shipped...Used it forever.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 12:16 pm    

I bought my Sho-Bud seat in 1976. I thought it was a great idea and I still think it is! I was so tired of sitting on bar chairs or anything else I could find, plus, it holds all my stuff. I used it for over 30 years and I still have it. Right now, I'm using a Walker seat with a backrest. It's absolutely wonderful! I wish I had, had that idea way back then.