The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need advice
Dave Chambers

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 6:01 am    

New member here and don’t have a clue about playing a pedal steel. My wife and I have 2 Pedal Steel Guitars, 1 is an Emmons double neck and the other is a Sho-Bud double neck. These guitars were owned by her brother that passed away years ago and the have been stored in my office for at least 20 years. I have tried to find a serial number on the Emmons to find out how old it is and the value. The only number that have found is 6524. I will try to post some pictures later today.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 10:15 am    

That is the serial number on the Emmons. It is not a date of production.

You might find a model number (61xx) on the Sho Bud stamped on the underside of the console at the headstock/nut end. If you find another number, here is a pretty good listing for identifying dates after 1971:
http://www.donblood.net/sho-bud-serial-numbers-and-build-dates.html

Last edited by Fred Treece on 11 Dec 2017 8:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 11:09 am    

I'm not an expert, but the 6xxx serial numbers were used in the early 1980's. I would guess this number is from about 1982-83.

Dave Chambers

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 11:06 am    

I am going to try and post some pictures of the Emmons. If I can’t get them to load is there someone that I can share the with that can post them? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Dave Chambers on 12 Dec 2017 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 11:14 am    

email sent.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 11:10 pm    

Bill Moore wrote:
I'm not an expert, but the 6xxx serial numbers were used in the early 1980's. I would guess this number is from about 1982-83.

Bill, you are correct and espicially with the Legrand style pedals. Think that is an 83. Great guitars. I think if you ordered one, you had he option of pedal styles. I've owned several and they play and sound great.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 11:59 pm    

Your steel is exactly like mine (#6698) except you have Sperzel tuners, which is a bit of an upgrade. I see very little wear on the pedals which tells me this steel hasn't been played much. My pedals have much more wear.

With a little general servicing (cleaning, lubing, new strings, and miscellaneous adjusting and tuning) that should be an excellent steel for a working musician.

I wish I was in a financial position to make you an offer.

Regarding it's value I suggest you look at the for sale section. You'll see a very similar Emmons, except it's black. The price on that steel is very reasonable. I'm surprised it hasn't already been sold at the asking price. I like the fake wood mica Emmons, but many people prefer black, so they perhaps fetch a bit higher prices.

The value is how much a buyer is willing to pay, and you are willing to sell for. There is no magic number. Are you in a hurry?

Dave Chambers

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2017 8:55 am    

Thank you all for that information. I am not in a hurry to sell them. I will keep an eye on the market and see how that goes. Never know, I might just get my ambition up and start learning to play one.

Thanks again,
Dave