The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Gibson Crisis
Duane Reese

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2017 12:21 pm    

There might as well be a thread here to discuss this...

So the word everywhere is that all is not well in the Gibson world. Much is being said all over, fingers are being pointed, theories are being theorized, and wild speculation abounds.

So feel free to sound off.

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2017 12:35 pm    

By the way...as I open this discussion, let me just say that, despite whatever you may or may not have heard, Gibson is still capable of making a superior product.

I just bought a Gibson (from a small dealer, which had a better deal that what I had found online or in a big chain store) mainly because the Gibson neck is my cup of tea. I know that others will make a neck to my specs, but why not just buy a guitar that's already right? This, and the fact that there are other noticeable improvements in this 2017 model over older Gibsons I had played before (along with a couple of minor drawbacks that can and will be fixed) makes it the best electric I've ever owned.

Regarding acoustic guitar, let's put it this way: about three years ago, I walked into a dealer, into the high-end acoustic room, with the explicit intention of buying a Martin; but after playing several guitars, I walked out with a Hummingbird. Enough said on that.

So yes, I'm a Gibson guitar fan. I respect the fact that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it is mine. Having said that, I do think that this is a discussion that is worth having here.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 9:24 pm     Love The Gibson’s.

I don’t get my ‘71 Les Paul out much anymore, because of a slight fracture of the head stock. But the ‘81 335, and the ‘85 Custom Shop Explorer are being used more these days.
. As far as buying a new Gibson, they’re just too expensive.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 8:09 am    

Companies that are run like Gibson is run should in fact fail. I'm all for US manufacturing but I'm also for well made products and companies that don't mistreat their employees and dealers.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 8:50 am    

Gibson shut down Cakewalk Sonar, abruptly. Left those of us that used Sonar hanging. Although Sonar still works it was time to learn a new DAW and I'm working on learning Studio One 3. They also axed Music Electronics and recording guru Craig Anderton. They put a warehouse in Nashville up for sale and I've read on serveral sites they are shutting down the Memphis production facility. I also read that their financial rating has been lowered to a "Cxxx".

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 22 Dec 2017 6:21 pm    

Well, one encouraging thing I heard is that they have dropped the "robo-tuners" – the ones that Henry Juszkiewicz said he wanted his legacy to be. I'd rather have the fed raid be my legacy if I were him (I'd LOVE that actually).