The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Picture of my cart for the steel
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 3:49 pm    

Many may think this is a dumb idea, and perhaps it it, but I built this cart for under $40 and I think it will save me time and some energy transporting it. I will travel (short distances only) with the steel set up (controversial I know I read the thread) and once I get to my destination, set it on the cart and wheel it inside. If for some reason it doesnt work out, I dont have much time or money invested.

Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 6:15 pm    

The only thing I see that I would change is larger wheels.
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 6:23 pm    

Billy McCombs wrote:
The only thing I see that I would change is larger wheels.

Yep, I agree...I considered that but they jump up in price quite a bit and I usually only go over sidewalks, wood or concerete floors, so I think it will be okay...but I may find later that I need to change those, which could be a pain. Thanks for looking.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 8:01 pm     Picture of my cart for the steel

Neat way to move a steel around.
When I used to gig at one place I considered doing similar to what you have constructed. Some nights there was 3 bands with steel guitars.
My thought was to construct it larger and stronger cart. Set guitar, seat, delay and stomp boxes and amp. on the cart. With an on board power supply with 15 ft. cord. Plug every thing in and check back stage. At band change you could roll cart on stage, Plug in power and place amp., Sit down and play. Would make it easy to roll one steel off stage and another on.
When I played lawn gigs I carried a 4X4 piece of plywood to sit steel and seat on. This is what started my idea.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 8:55 pm    

Nice, Larry. Have you considered putting an edge around it so a leg can't slip off?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 5:27 am    

The scene-shop built me something similar for a recent theater run of 'Lost Highway'.

I had to be on-and-off throughout the play so that was easy for the stage-hands. The only difference was that mine had a hand-rail along the back which they'd use to move the cart - otherwise there'd have been a temptation to 'push' the steel itself.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 5:47 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Nice, Larry. Have you considered putting an edge around it so a leg can't slip off?

Jim, yes i have thought of that and might add some sort of small semi-circular cup at the base of each leg prevent it from slipping.

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 4:50 pm    

Perhaps a drivable model ,with auto battery drive pack a seat ..with safety seat belt of course...could call it. 'click it & pick it'

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 7:26 pm    

At one time I had pencil sketch designs for a collapsible stage riser for me steel so I could be seen better by the crowd. Planned to have wheels on one end for getting into the clubs. In my new home studio I plan to have my rig on a wheeled platform like yours so I can reconfigure the room for recording steel, or photo shoots, or playing shuffleboard. Wink

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 7:25 am    

John... Playing shuffle board on your steel is a bad idea. Not only do the pucks fly off, possibly injuring someone or damaging things, but the wax might not be so good for the changer.

By the way, I would rethink those wheels and put on some larger rubber wheels. As you want to roll your steel over sidewalks, and probably parking lots, those casters would probably break. I can see a corner caster breaking off making the platform to drop, causing the guitar to go tumbling over.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 8:18 am    

Well if it don’t work out it will make a good furniture dolly for sure. Guess u could put your amp An seat on there make one trip.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 2:55 pm    

Richard said,

By the way, I would rethink those wheels and put on some larger rubber wheels. As you want to roll your steel over sidewalks, and probably parking lots, those casters would probably break. I can see a corner caster breaking off making the platform to drop, causing the guitar to go tumbling over.[/quote]

Richard,
Thanks for the tip about the casters breaking...I am considering getting bigger wheels and forget about being cheap about it,,,after all, I am carrying some fairly expensive equipment that I dont want anything to happen to !

Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 8:43 am    

Mount one of these on each corner of the platform. Whoa!

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.S2YwmG6bLVuv_4YbZdVBYwEsDW&w=258&h=185&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 11:46 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
John... Playing shuffle board on your steel is a bad idea. Not only do the pucks fly off, possibly injuring someone or damaging things, but the wax might not be so good for the changer.

By the way, I would rethink those wheels and put on some larger rubber wheels. As you want to roll your steel over sidewalks, and probably parking lots, those casters would probably break. I can see a corner caster breaking off making the platform to drop, causing the guitar to go tumbling over.

Shuffleboard in the studio, not on top of my steel! Silly boy. Winking

And actually the idea is to move my steel rig, rack unit and all, from a Skype lesson station over to the Mac desk for recording. I'll also put the Mac desk on a platform, wheel everything off to one side for photo shoots or shuffleboard!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 11:48 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:

Shuffleboard in the studio, not on top of my steel! Silly boy. Winking