The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Show Bud
A J Head

Compton Ca
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 12:54 am    

Came across this Show Bud for sale, I think it may be a Pro 1, but the underside looks quite a bit different to any I have found on line here. has 3 pedals and 2 knee's would probably need some work to get into shape, maybe some new parts etc. Any comments would be appreciated,

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 2:02 am    

AJ, SHO BUD 6139, ...it's not bad at all. I see several nylon of spacers in front of barrels but otherwise it's considered an early rack and barrel system. It is certainly not a Maverick body but rather an early S10 body. It does appear that someone had it all apart and rebuilt it. We can't see which pedals are offered with it, the older WIDE ones or the newer thin pedals. This one should have the older wide pedals. Based on a reasonable price , I would not be afraid to make the purchase.

The many extra detailed holes implies that a previous owner may have either installed or removed parts, such as knee levers 3 and 4. My take on this guitar is that it was once a 3 + 4 guitar and now is a 3+2. It has the holes to prove it !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 6 Dec 2017 4:46 am; edited 4 times in total

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 2:02 am    

Sho-Bud 6139?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 3:25 am    

It's a rack and barrel 6139 with one extra lever.
Michael Yahl at www.psgparts.com has knee lever kits, and you can add some more pedals although that's a bit more a challenge, as you have to replace the axle and move (or add) axle support blocks, but that's not insurmountable.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 6:35 am    

Must be an early version, given the wood wraparound changer.

BTW it's "Sho-Bud."

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 6:58 am    

Those nylon spacers look like they could have been used to tune the pedals. You can see the end of the adjustable part poking through the spacer to contact the rack. Not positive why it was done. Some kind of fine tuner?

Looks like a good guitar.

A J Head

Compton Ca
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 4:22 pm     Show Bud

Many thanks for your replies, seems like it may not have done a lot of work, I went ahead and brought it, should be here early next week, will ave a look and try and see ow hard it may be to put the other two KLs on it. There are some parts coming with it so may come back looking for ideas as to how practical it may be to fit them. This is a reply to a question I asked
'The only issue I've had is the string 6 which moves from G# to A with pedal 2. Now this works fine and hold tuning well enough, but because the rod is a little bit loose - it can be a bit fidgety.' The serial no 1370 would seem to mean it was mde around 1971

A J Head

Compton Ca
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 4:32 pm    

Tony Prior wrote:
AJ, SHO BUD 6139, ...it's not bad at all. I see several nylon of spacers in front of barrels but otherwise it's considered an early rack and barrel system. It is certainly not a Maverick body but rather an early S10 body. It does appear that someone had it all apart and rebuilt it. We can't see which pedals are offered with it, the older WIDE ones or the newer thin pedals. This one should have the older wide pedals. Based on a reasonable price , I would not be afraid to make the purchase.

The many extra detailed holes implies that a previous owner may have either installed or removed parts, such as knee levers 3 and 4. My take on this guitar is that it was once a 3 + 4 guitar and now is a 3+2. It has the holes to prove it !

It has the wide pedals and a Show Bud vol pedal. Does that look like the original pickup? Alumitone or something like that, maybe the toggle switch and knobs are to split the pup?

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 10:28 pm    

toggle and knob would most likely bee a 'tone circuit'.. on/off (switch) and treble to ground (knob).

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 12:22 am    

The toggle was a coil tap, and the pots are vol & tone.
At least they were with the original p/u. Doesn't look stock with those yellow things in there...

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 5:01 am    

this is 6139 Pro l model

your guitar I believe, is probably pre Baldwin or Baldwin period guitar... also, you have cross shaft with two bell cranks for raising E's already there, only thing you need is an actual knee lever, which you nay have with the parts that come with the guitar... guitar definitely had 4 knee levers at some point, and it was definitely worked on, and put together by someone...

A J Head

Compton Ca
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 12:13 pm    

I believe there is a knee lever coming with the guitar so may not be too much trouble to get working, Learning more about it as the replies have come in, Thanks

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 7:45 pm    

Damir is correct.
OK that is a single-10 made during the "Baldwin endorsement" very late '60s; as Sho~Bud put out the new "Crossover" Baldwin Sho~Bud and these single-10 Baldwin Sho~bud.
You can tell as that is a different Changer mounting; with neck that wraps around it(then any professional that was starting to get built late '69-70.
Looking at this one underneath....yes those three pedals and LKR are original Rack and Barrel to that guitar. what is NOT original is the pickup...and the other crossbars with two-hole pullers and whatever those round plastic pieces between the barrels and racks. and yes some parts have been taken off or moved....etc.
Those are the very hard to find and best sounding pots ever made by Allen Bradley 500K type J...and they were used on there for volume and tone and the two ways switch to switch them on or off. But not sure how its wired now with what ever pickup that is someone put on.
Also I see some changer fingers already engaged in the open position....so good luck re-adjusting that if you have no clue about the barrel tuning system.
Ricky

A J Head

Compton Ca
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 8:16 pm    

This is my second Steel, the first was a Fender cable changers, probably from the '50s, not a good intro to the World of Steel. I brought this one sight unseen so will have a very steep learning curve to come to grips with it I would think. I will probably not try and change anything, treat it more as a practice board, see if I can get the finger picks working for me. Thanks for your comments Ricky, I have no clue about the barrel tuning system, I guess I am about to learn I was seduced by the name and wood, paid $700 for it so not a huge outlay, unless I start buying bits and pieces, that could change things. I did hear it played on utube, sounded ok to me..

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 8:27 pm    

That's a good price.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 8:31 pm    

Your F lever is pulling on the raise scissor of the 8th string. You could either spin the rod to relax it, or take your Allen wrench and move the barrel a bit.
I'd probably give each rivet on each string (three rivets per finger) a shot of lube (I like the DuPont spray Teflon) and just adjust it up.

A J Head

Compton Ca
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 9:03 pm    

Thanks Lane, I will look at that when it arrives, I have some learning to do, good to know there are people on this forum that have the knowledge and are prepared to help

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 10:00 pm     1972ish The Professional

I bought this Sho-Bud "The Professional" S10 in 1973, rack-and-barrel, 3x2. This shot of the underside is before I completely disasembled it, cleaned the changer, and everything else too.

AJ, you can see how the changer end differs from your steel.

Question for Ricky...
This guitar didn't get its Morehead knee-levers (LKL, LKR). It's hard to find racks. Can I add shafts and two-hole pullers for the left knee levers? Maybe Michael Yahl parts?

A J Head

Compton Ca
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 10:36 pm    

Hi Dan Your guitar looks like it may be slightly newer than mine, different changer. maybe the last of the Baldwin/Show But era. Cant wait to get it and have a look at it, I wonder if the fingers are the same on yours as mine, given that the changers are different

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 10:40 pm    

The fingers are, AFAIK, the same. The change was to the tailpiece.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 10:48 pm    

Yes Dan I have certainly mixed Cross- shafts and racks on many ShoBud's...as it was always the same notion. Someone would send me a rack and barrel system to add knees lever pulls to...and it was either: find old beat up racks and linkage and rods and barrels; or buy a made up knee lever kit for a barrel tuning Crossbar with two hole puller. So yes get them from Michael. www.psgparts.com
Ricky