The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Parts for Derby steel
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 4:08 pm    

I recently bought a S10 Derby. I may want to add some changes. Is there a source for bell cranks,etc? I would be thankful for any info.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Eric Denmark

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 9:44 am    

I have been looking as well... for the same exact reason!... no luck... i even contacted one of Mr. Stepp's (the guy who built Derby) right hand men, and he said the parts aren't available.

Robert Bowling

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 11:32 am     Derby

That is the only fault to a Derby guitar. Parts are obsolete.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 11:52 am    

I wouldn't let that stop me from buying one or if I wanted to add changes.

You can use GFI, Fessenden, Emmons, any bell cranks available from a guitar that uses a 5/16" sq. cross shaft. Rod to match the cranks.

If you need shafts, stops and brackets that's a different matter of course. I've crafted shafts to fit at times out of square zinc plate or alu. stock, a little grinding and sizing. Some searching and you can find nylon bushings, shoulder washers etc. that might work with a little modification here and there if you have the tools and suitable area to do it.

Not exact matches true, but will function just fine to add on...'course if ya gotta have factory parts...

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 4:28 pm    

It seems like I remember someone here on the Forum that had converted a D10 to an SD10 that was in the For Sale section. Maybe they have spare parts.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Eric Denmark

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 4:32 pm    

Yep... checked with him a while back.. it's gone
Proud owner of-- '72 Fender Twin Reverb... Black Derby D-10..."Butterball" (my butterscotch blonde 52 hot rod tele-- my favorite guitar EVER)... Anderson "Nashville" T-Model... Lanikai ukulele... and Kawai EP2 keyboard

Gary N Jones

Navarre Ohio USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 9:07 am    

HI Ron I Can duplicate any part you need if you can spare one of the orirignal parts,PM me if I can help you out.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 6:42 pm    

I’ve been told that LeGrande pedals are about the same as Derby,so may add a fourth pedal.
The concept of adapting parts from other brands is far from foreign to me,so that will be done. Thanks for the input,everyone.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.