The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sroboflip or Stroboplus? Which one?
Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 10:56 am    

Hey guys, just wondering what the most of you prefer, Stroboflip or the Stroboplus. I want a new tuner, but a little confused at this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 1:26 pm    

The current production StrobeOPlus HD is what I have and recommend. Currently $103.75 at Musician's Friend with "Holiday17" promo.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 2:30 pm    

Strobo HD is the one to go with - it has more sweeteners, is cheaper to buy, and has a rechargeable lithium battery - so you can just recharge it like a cellphone - even in the car !!

It also mounts to the leg of your steel with the same type of mount unit as the flip.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 4:44 pm    

PLUS !!!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 6:03 pm    

If I remember right, they no longer make the StroboFlip.

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 6:12 pm    

One more vote for the StroboPlus HD.
It is hands down the best tuner I have ever owned.
I just bought mine about 4 months ago.
I could kick myself for waiting so long.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 7:27 pm    

I use the Flip. I really like the tuner. Im sure the Strobo is a better tuner but I just dont like the rechargeables when your at a gig. When my flip goes dead I just put in new batteries.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 10:34 pm    

The battery on the HD seems to need charging about once a year. Can’t imagine it running out and surprising you.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 3:08 am    

I've had the HD since it came out a couple years ago. Battery is still working and holding charge for a long time.

One other "plus" for the HD, it can have different offsets for a note in the same program. e.g. "E4" can have one offset and "E2" can have a different offset. The other Petersons (e.g. "flip") cannot do that, you can only have one offset for each note e.g. "E".

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 6 Dec 2017 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 3:44 am     Flip for Plus

I have a very slightly used Plus I'll trade straight across for a Very Slightly Used Flip. Email me...

Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 6:30 am     Tuner

Dick, I don't have either right now. I'm just trying to get some input from players on which they prefer and why. One of the two will be in my future. Thanks for your offer.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 6:41 am    

Eddie, I can’t speak to the Stroboflip... but will say that having had one StroboPlus HD, and then selling it because I got a StroboRack for my Rack unit, I then just last week bought another StroboPlus HD to have hooked up to a 2nd Steel... I’d guess that you really couldn’t go wrong with either, but the Plus seems to be the more “Current” Technology.... I know I really like that unit, and when it was gone even after I had the StroboRack, I still missed having the StroboPlus.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 7:36 am    

The "flip" is the discontinued (a couple years ago) model. If you want to program it, its all manual within the unit. The "HD" can be programmed on line with your PC and then downloaded to the HD.

I had a "flip" model and now the HD. The flip did OK after I spent hours reprogramming it for my copedent. I now use the Newman sweetened tunings but have them programmed into one program for E9th, both the opens and the pedals/knee levers (plus a couple of common changes that were not widely used back when Newman developed the tunings) and same thing for the C6th. I've "shared" as Peterson calls it my tunings with many that have the HD. Obviously I'm biased for the HD but it is as mentioned the current technology.

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 5:25 pm    

How difficult is it to program the plus online?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2017 3:30 am    

How hard is it to program? Depends on the person but the process is fairly straight forward. You just need to know the offsets you want to use.

e-mail me and I'll send you my program which shows offsets and you can use that as an example.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2017 6:33 am    

I'll offer this line of thought, as I oppose them on two semi-related grounds:
1) The programmable tuners make one dependent on them, and if it dies, you're lost at sea. If you know your offsets, any tuner with a needle (real or virtual) will make a substitute if yours dies.
2) by programming your tuner to tell you that 30 cents flat is "in tune", you mask the relationship between the sweetened tuning and the ET in use by (almost) every other instrument.
I used to use a Korg with a needle, and now I use an Android app with a virtual needle.

While (a lot) of others disagree with me, my inner pedant thinks it matters.

Robert Jones

Branson, Missouri
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2017 9:59 am    

Hi Eddie. I have had both. I first bought the flip and I loved it. Unfortunately I damaged it when going to do a session by plugging in the wrong power supply. I then bought the HD and loved it. I contacted Peterson and they connected their computer to mine via Goggle Chrome and removed all the tuning except the E9th and the C6th. I have been using it since. They don't make the Flip any more but if they did I'd say either one is going to be 100% OK. Best of luck on your decision and Merry Christmas.
http://www.bjsbars.com/

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2017 10:55 am    

I own both, and think either one is the best thing since sliced bread.

In theory, I agree completely with Lane, but am willing to be completely dependent. I agree that, in theory, we are probably using a somewhat incompatible tuning system from the rest of the band. When I remember the pain involved in trying to get bands to play in tune prior to the widespread use of electronic tuners, I am reasonably happy with this compromise.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2017 2:36 am    

I would buy the newest version, I think that would give you better service and support. I'm still using the Stroboflip, it works perfectly, so no need to replace at this moment.

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2017 6:28 am    

Mine is still on backorder. I think the sweetener programs are a great idea and will save some time tuning. If the tuner should fail, I will go back to my old tuner and tune to 440 and sweeten by ear. Peterson historically makes a solid product. Same as my 30 year old Korg that has never failed me.
Lefty

Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 6:49 am     Thanks guys!

Thanks guys for all your time and info, I really appreciate it.