The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kluson Stringmaster Tuner Pans
Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 8:51 pm    

I ordered two sets of 8-string pans and tuners for my D-8 that's in progress. Also considering it as an option on my single neck builds. Anyone think it's worth building a half dozen single neck lap steels to test the market? It would add approximately $75 to the selling price. Bob -- Melbert Guitars

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 5:06 am    

I'm not in the market for a brand new lap steel at the moment so not sure if you would be interested in my opinion or not but I think the headstock design you are currently using looks fine and the Stringmaster design doesn't offer any functional advantage, especially on a single neck instrument (in fact, it's easier to replace a single broken tuner on your design) and aesthetically - unless you are going to build a Fender clone - it wouldn't add anything either in my opinion.

I think there are a lot of people who, if they want a Stringmaster style instrument, they'll buy a vintage Fender - especially as prices are still so ridiculously low (compared to Strats and Teles).

And,although it won't affect you, I'm kind of down on Kluson right now as, even though they are aware of it, they won't address or acknowledge in their advertising that their Stringmaster tuners aren't the same as the old ones and won't fit into all vintage Stringmasters without butchery. The pans are an exact fit though.

Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 7:25 am    

I am with Jeff on this one! I live in the UK and access to quality instruments at affordable prices is not great. I have never tried your guitars but I have read a lot of good feedback and people tend to really like your products and they are at a very good price.
The shape and headstock design is pure Robert Allen......! They look like nobody else's guitar and I think they look great! Unless you have some issues with your design of Headstock/tuners I would personally leave it as is!

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 5:35 pm    

Thanks Mike and Jeff for your input. I don't have any intention of discontinuing the existing design but being a custom shop, I'm always exploring new options. This looks like one of those things that isn't a good road to follow. Bob

Jim Rossen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 6:40 pm    

Your head stock is handsome and the tuners work fine. I put a Kluson reissue strip on an old Magnatone and the tuners on my Allen Melbert work better than these Klusons. Another big advantage of your design is that a single tuner can be replaced.

Jim