The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hilton volume pedal
Richard Stoops

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 5:47 am    

I just bought a Hilton volume pedal which works great, but now I have a question. It is a powered pedal ... can the power supply be left plugged into the wall circuit, or must it be unplugged?

Thanks,
Dick

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 10:03 am    

I've accidentally left mine powered on overnight and it didn't hurt it. But I wouldn't do it intentionally.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 11:55 am     Hilton

FWIW, I use a plug in strip that powers my amp, tuner, pedal and effects...1 on/off switch Very Happy

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 12:17 pm    

Jack has me worried a bit. I've had a Hilton pedal for years and it mostly has power to it 24 hours a day. So far so good anyways. Would the danger be more to the power adapter or the internal components? There any number of power adapters in my household...from my printer to the cordless telephone base that have power to them constantly. I've never thought of it as a problem but maybe I should.

Richard Stoops

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 12:30 pm     hilton pedal

Thanks for the replies guys. I wasn't sure if being plugged in all the time might eventually damage the pedal electronics. (not sure what the pedal electronics may actually be ... probably won't take the pedal apart to find out either)

Thanks,
Dick

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 12:58 pm    

It can be argued that leaving things on causes less damage than regularly turning them on and off.

Personally I favour Larry's single-switch option.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 3:05 pm    

Quote:
Jack has me worried a bit. I've had a Hilton pedal for years and it mostly has power to it 24 hours a day. So far so good anyways. Would the danger be more to the power adapter or the internal components? There any number of power adapters in my household...from my printer to the cordless telephone base that have power to them constantly. I've never thought of it as a problem but maybe I should.

It may never cause a problem, but being a former amp tech I like to err on the safe side. Probably the biggest issue with leaving the power supplies plugged in is the waste of AC power and the additional electric utility cost.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 4:47 pm    

Jack is correct about power supplies or Wall Warts” consuming AC power. You ever consider how many of these things are in your home. Telephones, cable TV, computers, tablets, phone chargers, etc. $$$😬

Richard Stoops

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2017 9:59 am     hilton volume pedal

In the same vein, does anyone know of an unused, or unwanted or unloved pedal bar bracket that would fit my Hilton pedal, that might be for sale? If so, I would be willing to buy it.

Thanks,
Dick

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2017 10:26 am    

I just bought the Hilton one - they're not expensive.