The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reverb Pedal recommendations?
Steven Meister

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 5:57 pm    

I'm currently playing a Fessy D-10 through a Nashville 400, and I'm thinking about using a reverb pedal instead of the built-in reverb tank. I'd like to get some recommendations for good reverb pedals, and also if there are any pedals that are NOT recommended.

Thanks!

Steve

Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 6:05 pm    

I like the Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Nano- sounds great, easy to use, not too many knobs to waste time on. And they are available inexpensive used.

Greg Milton

Benalla, Australia
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 10:07 pm    

Second vote for Holy Grail Nano - great little pedal!

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 10:32 pm    

You could just do the Metzger Reverb mod to your NV400, and upgrade to a MOD 3-spring tank. Be a lot less $$ and reportedly a MUCH improved sound over the stock reverb.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 10:50 pm    

And another vote for the Holy Grail Nano.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 12:48 am    

I really like my Neunaber Mono Wet Reverb pedal. It sounds good and is simple to use.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 4:06 am    

I’ve been using a Holy Grail until I find a spring reverb tank. Best bang for the buck.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 6:18 am    

Steve what are you looking for in a reverb pedal that you aren't getting from the NV400 reverb ?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 7:13 am    

Lee Holliday

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 11:19 am    

Carl Martin Headroom, gives two reverb options and is simple for people like me!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH_dv-ccwDA

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 1:34 pm    

Currently using a Boss RV-6 in one setup and it’s very nice. I recently tried the Boss RV500 and it has a wonderful pallet of reverbs. Twice the price of an RV-6
Lots of nice pedals out there and I have tried many but keep coming back to Boss.

Steven Meister

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 1:40 pm    

Thanks for all the responses! I like the idea of a good sounding, simple to use, and reasonably priced pedal. The Holy Grail Nano, and the Nuenaber Mono Wet pedals seem to be good options.

Has anyone tried the Omni Reverb by Keeley? It also looks like it may be a good option.

Steve

Steven Meister

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 1:46 pm    

Thanks Len, the RV-6 looks like a good option also. There sure are a lot of good looking reverb pedals on the market!

Steven Meister

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 1:57 pm    

Hi Karen, my NV400 reverb just doesn't seem to sound as good as some of the other spring reverbs I had in the past. First of all is doesn't really kick in until I have the dial up to about 5, and then it still seems to be to far behind the notes being played. If I turn it up much higher everything seems to get really washed out. I have trouble describing the sound, so hopefully that's understandable.

What's made me really start to think about it is I recently recorded in a studio with pro tools, and the engineer mic'd my NV400, and used a plate reverb, which sounded really good.

Murray McDowall

Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 2:49 pm    

Steve, check out the Behringer RV600.
Nice reverb sounds and cheap!
Use in effect loop, it's a little noisy in front.
Power supply needed though, batteries don't last long.

Good luck,
Murray.

Last edited by Murray McDowall on 2 Dec 2017 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steven Meister

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 2:57 pm    

Steven Paris wrote:
You could just do the Metzger Reverb mod to your NV400, and upgrade to a MOD 3-spring tank. Be a lot less $$ and reportedly a MUCH improved sound over the stock reverb.

Hi Steven, the Metzger Mod doesn't sound like a bad idea, however, it does seem a little too complicated for me.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 7:16 pm    

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 6:04 am    

Steven Meister wrote:
Hi Karen, my NV400 reverb just doesn't seem to sound as good as some of the other spring reverbs I had in the past. First of all is doesn't really kick in until I have the dial up to about 5, and then it still seems to be to far behind the notes being played. If I turn it up much higher everything seems to get really washed out. I have trouble describing the sound, so hopefully that's understandable.

What's made me really start to think about it is I recently recorded in a studio with pro tools, and the engineer mic'd my NV400, and used a plate reverb, which sounded really good.

I think you would like the Wet reverb pedal

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 3:20 pm    

I have had all sorts of reverbs. I have had the TC Electronics twin engine rack mount reverb/delay and the reverbs in this are exhausting! Having said this, a club member plays his Anapeg through his Evens amp and he now plays through the pictured unit. It's range of reverbs (the most common) coupled with simplicity of use, stereo and price $50 US makes it a wonderful unit IMO.
I was so impressed, I came home from our last club meet and bought one. It arrived last week.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 5:12 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:

Jack how do you like this pedal ? I'm thinking of going full analog and my latest rig doesn't have reverb

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 7:02 am    

Karen Sarkisian wrote:
Jack how do you like this pedal ?

I prefer the Sole-Mate over the "spring" setting on my other two reverb pedals (BOSS RV-5 & Digitec Hardwire RV-7) by a long shot. Playing in a band with drums, the digital reverb pedals often get lost in the wash from the ride cymbal; that's not the case with the Sole-Mate.

It captures the classic "Fender" sound convincingly. It uses the same MOD reverb tank that's installed in the Blues Junior (and likely others). It's the only pedal I've played that achieves the same vibe as the onboard reverb in my silverface Princeton Reverb.

It's far superior to the onboard reverb in my '77 Peavey LTD 400. My '73 fatback push-pull D-10 into the Sole-Mate in front of the Black Widow-equipped PV is the best pedal steel sound I've yet to achieve.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 7:05 am    

Karen Sarkisian wrote:
Jack Hanson wrote:

Jack how do you like this pedal ? I'm thinking of going full analog and my latest rig doesn't have reverb

Karen,

I'm in the same boat as you and have been researching spring reverb tanks.

There's a lot of info on gearpage about this pedal that I found useful. There's also the Surfy Bear pedal. From what I've gathered the Vanamp is really good but it won't cut it if you need more extreme reverb sounds like the splash or drip sounds that surf guitarist want.

The Surfy Bear is worth looking into as well, the Surf Guitarist love it and say it's the next best option to actual Fender Reverb Tank but they cost more than the Vanamp.

There's also the Orion, and the Carl Martin Headroom reverbs. IMO the best two options are the Vanamp or the Surfy Bear, let me know what you decide on and good luck!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 7:32 am    

Mark Hershey wrote:
From what I've gathered the Vanamp is really good but it won't cut it if you need more extreme reverb sounds like the splash or drip sounds that surf guitarist want.

It's relatively easy to achieve the splashy/drippy sounds on the Sole-Mate by switching out the tanks. I purchased mine used from a person who had installed a different MOD tank for that classic drenched surf guitar sound. Fortunately, the original tank was included in the sale. I tried them both and much prefer the original, as the so-called "upgrade" tank seemed far too extreme to my ears for pedal steel.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 7:46 am     Polara

If I didn’t already have one, I’d grab this.
Had lots of reverb pedals. This is my favorite.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=324584

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 7:48 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
Mark Hershey wrote:
From what I've gathered the Vanamp is really good but it won't cut it if you need more extreme reverb sounds like the splash or drip sounds that surf guitarist want.

It's relatively easy to achieve the splashy/drippy sounds on the Sole-Mate by switching out the tanks. I purchased mine used from a person who had installed a different MOD tank for that classic drenched surf guitar sound. Fortunately, the original tank was included in the sale. I tried them both and much prefer the original, as the so-called "upgrade" tank seemed far too extreme to my ears for pedal steel.

That's great to know, and very helfpful.