The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  newbie tabulature question...
Michael Meader

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 5:37 pm    

Hi, folks, just starting to dive into some simple tab, and I'm already a lil confused....I understand that if.it were a 5---7 that means it slides from the 5th fret up to the 7th fret, but what does it mean when its 7----7A? Does it mean pluck the 7note, let it ring as you depress the A pedal...any help would be appreciated, thanks, Mike

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 5:44 pm    

Yep. What you said. Pick the string with no pedals, the add the A. It gets more confusing when you add the knee levers - because different people give them different names. So most tab has an explanation of what they mean. Some people use the b and # symbols. 1 b means lower that string with whatever pedal or lever lowers it a 1/2 tone. bb means lower it a full tone. And, of course, raises when a # or two are used.

Good luck!

Michael Meader

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 5:49 pm    

Thanks Doug!!! This tab is from the winnie winston , book, and I even got a cd of the music...but dang, been playing regular guitar for 30 years and never did the tab thing, total fish outta water right now. Whoa!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 5:49 pm    

Yes, and when it says "7 --- 7", that just means to let it ring, without hitting it again, while you add or release the pedal or knee lever indicated on a different string (as in the 3rd and 4th notes shown). If there is no line or dashes between the numbers, you hit that string again (as in the 5th & 6th notes on the 5th string).

Michael Meader

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 5:58 pm    

thanks Jim, was a lil lost on the no dash thing to...yee haw!!!

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 2:09 am     Some thoughts...

I had played guitar for a good while when I ordered my steel that was to be delivered in several months. In the mean time I got a copy of Winnies book, Pedal Steel Guitar and read it cover to cover at least a half dozen times. By the time my steel was delivered, I could read tab, had learned some theory and without having ever touched a steel, was able to assemble and tune mine, knew how to put on picks and how to hold the bar, knew all the basic grips and some history of every player mentioned in it. That book has a world of info, but your new steel is like a magnet that will keep drawing you back to it and away from what you need to do first. Read the book and understand what you've read. And just as you've done, ask questions.

Secondly, tab is nothing more then a suggestion of how to play a song or phrase. A general idea of how someone else played it. It does a fair job of that, but not a great job. Trust your ears first... Always!

And never ever get upset at someone giving a suggestion or trying to help. Become a selective sponge, accept every suggestion and let what you do not need roll off your back. Then, relax and enjoy the journey.

Note: When I started, I was in the service and couldn't afford to pay attention, much less for an instructor. But if you can, I would suggest that. It will take you far, quickly.

Michael Meader

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 2:38 am    

Thanks Dick, some good suggestions there...the closest steel instructor I've found so far is about 3 hours away, but I'm gonna keep looking.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 2:46 am     Instructor...

Lots of options, some are Skype friendly and instruct on the computer. Enjoy the ride, it is a good one. My best to you... Very Happy