The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is now called "Classic Country Music"
Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2017 5:48 am    

How many others feel like I do, that we have lived thru the greatest time in Country Music. Thru the radio we have heard the all time Greats. From Jimmie Rodgers, Roy Acuff, Hank Williams Sr and Jr, Jim Reeves to the days of Merle,Willie, Waylon,Roy Clark, Jerry Reed, Bob Wills and the texas playboys,and so many that there is not enough space (or my old age memory) to list them a in a moment. Please forgive any name mis-spelling or bad typing(I am good at those). My point we have been very blessed to live in this time, before it had to be named Classic. While I believe it is CLASSIC COUNTRY, we heard it when it was just country music. Where is the sound of the steel and fiddle gone in todays country music? Tompall and the Glaser Brothers broke the "Nashville sound way of doing business, but sadly the new Nashville system is back. Jimmie, Hank Sr Bob Wills would not stand a chance of being recorded today. Now it is "pick a pretty kid at a talent contest, and create a ""star"" , if they catch on they get to record fro a while, if sales to the teeny boopers slow, they get dropped. Singing ability has nothing to do with it. Songwriting ability doesn't have much to do with it. Today you must be Young, pretty and have a little ability, and they might try to MAKE you a star. But we must try to sound like what ever is selling that week. Its back to being a "BUSINESS', and not about the music. Az Art
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2017 6:14 am     Classic Country music

As an important add on, please help me push Tompall and the Glaser Brothers into the CMA's Hall of Fame. Listen to such great songs as "Loving her was easier", "It"ll be her", Trying to out run the wind", "The unwanted outlae", and so many more. We are lucky the "Bear Family" in Germany has combined the albums of the Glasers, and the music is still available. What harmony, up with the best. I personally rank them up with the Statler Bros. Listen to" Put another lig on the fire", "Texas law says". ITS JUST GREAT MUSIC. CALL THE CMA 615-244-2840 OR Write, One Music Circle, Nashville, TN.,37204 or better yet go to "2Care.com" in the computer and sign petition. If you get the same girl on the phone at CMA, that I did, you might detect a smart ass attitude that i DID. LOL CMA does not want the Glasers in the Hall of Fame for bucking the seem at that time. RECOMMENDED BOOK ' THE GREAT TOMPALL. by Kevin Glaser the Biography of Tompall Glaser. Hope to get them in while Chuck and Jim are still alive. Listen to the song "Woman, Woman" that Jim co-wrote and also performs
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2017 6:31 am    

Sad but true, Art. We kick this around about once a month.

A Canadian singer, Chris Cummings, had the line "They're making singers out of cowboy hats, they're making Possums out of mere Stray Cats". I don't think they even bother with the hat any more. Crying or Very sad Here it is - and while the lyrics and video are right on the money (and funny as well), even this song lamenting the decline in country music has neither steel nor fiddle that I can hear! Go figure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJPqu4F4Au4&list=PL3QN3XzRK99kKw2qawHbS-gdZQEPgGvOU[/img]

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2017 9:41 am    

Quote:
How many others feel like I do, that we have lived thru the greatest time in Country Music.

I'm sure there are still many of us who feel that way, but we are fading fast with the passing of time. I think we'll just have to take the memories with us because if Blake Sheldon is any example, the new generation can't seem to forget us fast enough.. Oh Well

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2017 5:37 pm    

I was listening to Alabama's "Dixieland Delight" today, and that's sounding classic.