The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wood neck pickup advice
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 9:07 am    

I'm playing a great Fulawka, with a single wood- neck-the original humbucker Ed made is microphonic at this point- I have no other experience with wood necks- what pickups are recommended?

Thanks-

Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 10:40 am    

If you want to stick with a humbucker try a Bill Lawrence 710 or a reissue 705.

Maybe Ricky Davis can chime in. He owned and played a Fulawka for a while.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 6:36 pm    

Asa,
They sure look similar to 705s, even tho we know Ed wound his own, so it's uncertain what a replacement could be.

I will say I'm really curious to hear if anyone has tried a single coil. I have a Fulawka D10.
I tried to get Jerry Wallace to make me a truetone, he sent me a narrowmount one and the dimensions were diffferent. I may have been able to make it work, but I didnt, and returned it to Jerry.

No need,to,flame me for sayings it was bud like, i know, ....if you want,the bud sound buy,a bud...but I sure would,like,to,hear The right single coil in one.

The guitar sounds great, any good pickup should sound good.

If you try something , let us know ! Thanks.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 7:48 am    

You can always try getting the original pickup wax-potted to tame/remove the microphonics. Anyone who does pickup building/repair should be able to provide that service. If no one is available to you, you can always try doing it yourself using a small miniature crockpot. You have to put in enough wax that the pickup is completely covered. Once the wax is fully melted, set the pickup in. You should see some air bubbles coming out of the pickup. You should be able to remove it in 5-10 minutes. Let cool. Clean off excess wax. Reinstall in guitar, and hopefully your microphonics problem is fixed.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 6:56 pm    

Here's a guide to wax potting your own pickups. Might be worth a try to save the original one, if it is unusable now.

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_Pickups_and_Electronics_and_Wiring/Wax_potting_pickups.html

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 8:01 pm    

+1 for the potting idea as long as Eddie didn't encapsulate the pickup in epoxy or such. Certainly worth a try and just might solve the problem. Good luck.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 7:03 am    

Telonics 206 sounds great on wood necks!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 10:23 am    

Get a BL 710.. You can use it as a humbucker, a GOOD sounding one, and also use either the rearward or forward single coils alone.. You get 3 very different, very distinct sounds on 1 pickup just by using a 3 way micro switch.. Just mount it under the guitar, no need to drill holes in the endplate... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......