The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Member....Just getting started
Michael Meader

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 2:34 pm    

Hi Folks, MIke here from Michigan. Been kinda wanting to get into steel guitar for a number of years but always just let it go. I am most definitely a complete noobie to this type of guitar. Been playing regular acoustic and electric for about 30 years, and consider myself a moderate hack on those instruments, but have fun.

My musical taste range from classic rock, blues, singer songerwriter kinda stuff, and for country, I really like 50's 60's 70's era ,loves me some Hee Haw!!!!

I made my first beginner mistake and bought what I've read to find, probably the least desirable model, the Sho-Bud Maverick...atleast thats kinda the jist I've been getting from alot of the reading I've done, after the purchase naturally...lol. But, all those levers and pedals and strings can certainly seem intimidating to me, not knowing anything....I paid 725$ shipped for the guitar...dont really know if thats good, fair , or average or over priced for the guitar. But it was in my price range.

Anywho, more of a positive note, I've only had the guitar a few day, and am starting to learn my way around what the pedals and lever do, found out how to tune it, by reading on this forum, and learned just a couple very basics by looking on youtube. Even ordered a couple of books that were suggested in some of the threads I've browsed thru here.

The guitar is black with some pinstriping. Haven't seen any pictures on the net of a black one, so, I'm not completely sure thats the original color...serial number is 1045. I believe its one of the early ones, with the raised fret board....so far I really kinda like it.

Anyway, just wanted to make an introduction, I'm sure I'll do alot of reading on this site. If anyone has any suggestions for learning material I'd welcome some suggestions.....thanks all, MIke

Very Happy

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 3:11 pm    

Yes, that's an early Maverick. The finish may be original, but I doubt that the pinstriping is.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 5:46 pm    

Hello, welcome to the madness... That Maverick is probably better than some of the later ones. Do you have just one knee lever? Does it lower the E strings, or 4th string E only? There is a lot you can do with that guitar if it works well. See if you can find another steel player in your area who can check out the guitar for you and maybe give you a few lessons to get started. Feel free to ask questions here on the forum. Have fun!

Michael Meader

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 5:50 pm    

Larry Jamieson wrote:
Hello, welcome to the madness... That Maverick is probably better than some of the later ones. Do you have just one knee lever? Does it lower the E strings, or 4th string E only? There is a lot you can do with that guitar if it works well. See if you can find another steel player in your area who can check out the guitar for you and maybe give you a few lessons to get started. Feel free to ask questions here on the forum. Have fun!

Hi Larry, Yep, just one knee lever, it lowers the 2 and 8 strings. Is that how it should be set up?

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 6:15 pm     Learning PSG.

Michael, I would start off with basic string groupings. It would be your most important starting point. 3,4,5 - 4,5,6 - 5,6,8 - 6,8,10. - 3,4 - 4,5 - 5,6. 5,6,9 is a 7th chord. Push the "A" making these string groups makes a minor. It's a start. Have fun!!!

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 6:28 pm     Picks

Michael, Use a plastic thumb pic and a finger pic on your first two fingers. It has been discussed on here a few times but definitely use picks. The majority of us all use picks. I have been using for years a National Large Plastic Thumb Pic and I use the Jeff Newman metal finger picks. I like the Newman pics a lot. I am a bit of a aggressive player and they work well for me.

Michael Meader

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 6:32 pm     Re: Picks

Kevin Fix wrote:
Michael, Use a plastic thumb pic and a finger pic on your first two fingers. It has been discussed on here a few times but definitely use picks. The majority of us all use picks. I have been using for years a National Large Plastic Thumb Pic and I use the Jeff Newman metal finger picks. I like the Newman pics a lot. I am a bit of a aggressive player and they work well for me.

Thanks, Kevin.....already been working on the string groupings, and got some finer picks aswell, apparently i have an EXTRA LARGE thumb though...who knew? lol

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 7:16 pm    

Welcome to the clan, Michael. Don't underestimate the musical potential of your Maverick; Winnie Winston's book, which I believe b0b can supply, is written for the same copedent you have there. That guitar and book, with some serious seat time will take you a long way down the road you have just set out on. Not having all the latest changes will force you to learn how to use those pesky chromatic strings 1 and 2, maybe even bar slants to get some of the E to F lever's uses.
In the meantime, you can work on your theory chops, and your ears, while you save up for your dream guitar you will surely envision if you you become addicted to this marvelous contraption, the pedal steel guitar.

Michael Meader

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 7:28 pm    

Chris Reesor wrote:
Welcome to the clan, Michael. Don't underestimate the musical potential of your Maverick; Winnie Winston's book, which I believe b0b can supply, is written for the same copedent you have there. That guitar and book, with some serious seat time will take you a long way down the road you have just set out on. Not having all the latest changes will force you to learn how to use those pesky chromatic strings 1 and 2, maybe even bar slants to get some of the E to F lever's uses.
In the meantime, you can work on your theory chops, and your ears, while you save up for your dream guitar you will surely envision if you you become addicted to this marvelous contraption, the pedal steel guitar.

Thanks Chris, I actually ordered that Winnie book yesterday while I was stuck at work, I just happaned on a thread here that suggested it was very good for the 3x1 setup. And so far I'm quite happy with the little Maverick. Its got Mojo!!! Cool

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 6:01 am    

Michael, if that thumbpick is too tight, I've heard of people using hot water to loosen up the material, then gently stretching it out. Go slow - you don't want it fitting sloppy. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpDOuaFM0HQ

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 6:36 am     pedal steel guitar

michael,
welcome to the crazy pedal steel guitar. i to started on
a maverick 30 years ago Surprised just take your time learning
everything about the guitar. this a great place to get started. ask as many questions as you want you will all the answers here. here is a vid that will get you started. enjoy the ride Very Happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PNxDnNdvhI

p.w

Keith Ballmer

Traverse City, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 11:45 am    

Mike
Nice to see another Michigan Pedal Steel Guitar player if you have any questions pm me .

Michael Meader

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 12:35 pm    

Keith Ballmer wrote:
Mike
Nice to see another Michigan Pedal Steel Guitar player if you have any questions pm me .

Thanks Keith, will do!!! Smile

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 7:08 am    

Hi, Michael, and welcome! I started playing on a Maverick ( in Michigan!) back in the late 70’s and made a living with that guitar for at least a year. As mentioned the Winston/ Keith book should be invaluable at getting going and seeing how to play some tasty stuff, how to adjust that and other brands of guitars, and just how to get up and running in general. Others may disparage the lowly Maverick but for me it was a wonderful intro to the steel world. Please feel free to contact me with any questions and best wishes on the journey!