The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  If I was building a new computer....
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 7:22 am    

https://www.frys.com/search?query_string=9200779&nearbyStoreName=false&site=160email112417

I built this same machine this summer for gaming. The CPU alone was around $230. So this deal is a super cheap CPU plus a free motherboard, basically. And my new machine is the fastest one I've ever built. Nearly twice as fast as my 8-core FX-8350 machine.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 7:26 am    

... and I see NewEgg has the same deal for about $60 more.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3698357

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 10:27 am    

Interesting. I decided to try going the DIY route to build my own gaming PC several years (and several hardware generations) ago. The process was an education in itself; one must spend hours upon hours doing research on hardware components to make sure they'll all play nice together.

The novelty of that wore off, though, and now I let someone else do it. I'm willing to pay a little more for the convenience, and actually, it's not a lot more, due to the economies of scale large companies enjoy.

I'm an Intel guy myself, and recently ordered a new "barebones" gaming rig. Bought only the case, MSI mobo (which I love, compared to my old ASUS), faster RAM, 1200W PSU, and the icing on the cake is the liquid-cooled Intel Core i9 7920X (12 Core 24 Thread - 2.9 / 4.3GHz - 44 PCIe Lanes). Also bought a 1TB Solid State Drive (SSD) - M.2 PCIe - NVMe to go with another one like it I already had. These M.2 SSDs are the cat's meow these days.

It's a nice rig, and the 7920X 12 core processor is up there with the best of 'em on the performance charts. I paid a little more than the price of your Fry's link, but you mostly get what you pay for. Winking

When it arrived, I harvested my Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 from my old box, plugged it in, along with my 3 Acer 4K monitors, and it was off to the races. Fun stuff.