The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  SG Bass?
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 8:22 am    

I inherited a Gibson SG bass, I have my Fender Precision bass so I don't need the Gibson so would like to sell it. Can anyone tell me what year this is? Serial #771281, it's a deep red, almost black in color. It's had road use and the case was shot so I got a gig bag for it. I don't have a clue what would be a fair price to ask for it. Will post a picture when I can.
I would appreciate any help/advise.

Geo

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 2:51 am    

Gibson basses were not called SG.. The were designate EB [Electric Bass].. The models I am aware of were EB-0 ,1 2, 3 and 4...

You will need to post a picture so I can determine which model it is, as the value changes with model..
the 6 digit Serial numbers in that era were difficult, and often inaccurate and yours isn't even listed, but I would say your Gibson bass is a mid to late 60's model, and it does have some value.. In good shape with original case they sell on ebay between $2-3K... Yours would go a little less without the original case..

700000 - 700799 1966, 1967 or 1969
750000 - 750999 1966, 1967 or 1969
800000 - 800999 1966, 1967, 1968 or 1969

There are a bunch of serial number guides for you to look through on the web if you want, but in Gibson basses it won't make much value difference from mid to late 60's.. If its an earlier model the value goes up, but your serial # with 6 digits starting with a 7 seems to indicate 66 to 69...
A picture here would be a great help, but you can also go to ebay and check the listings to see exactly what model you have, and what they sell for...

Personally, I avoid selling on ebay. I found it easier to drop the price, as ebay takes a BIG chunk these days, and sell on a forum, Craigslist, or FB Marketplace.. Its a vintage Gibson from the 60's, Price it right and it will sell fast.
Gibson basses are not near as popular as the guitars were, but they are very cool instruments regardless . Very deep smooth boomy sound, but most people like the clank and edge of a fender. Personally, given the choice of either , I would play a gibson bass, but I am the exception. not a big fan of the fender bass sound... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2019 8:34 am     Vintage Gibson SG bass

My thanks to Bob Carlucci for his input and advice. I can't seem to get the picture into this ad but perhaps if someone is interested in buying this...and I mean seriously interested, email me and I'll try to send pictures that way.
Asking $650.00 or best offer+ shipping, has Gator gig bag. Willing to meet up to 200 miles from Duluth, MN. Not interested in trades, just want to downsize my stuff.
Geo

Last edited by George McLellan on 27 Jun 2019 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2019 12:50 pm    

George's guitar is an early 70's SGII Bass,, 2 mini humbuckers, slide switches.. I have seen a number of the SGII 6 string versions over the years, but I don't recall ever seeing the bass model... You'd be the only kid on the block with one, thats for sure... bob

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2019 1:28 pm     Thanks Bob

Bob, can you post the pictures I sent you? I’m getting no where trying to post them.
Mike, you didn’t give me your email address, hopefully Bob will post them for me.
Geo

Mike Flick

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2019 9:16 pm     George's Gibson

Looks like a circa '73 Gibson SB 450 long scale. The SG truss cover is from a guitar.

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 4:51 am     Thanks Mike

Thanks for posting the pictures for me. It seems to me that it’s a very long neck, but what would the measurements be?
Geo

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 9:29 am    

My wife's early 70's SB is configured a little different, (I changed the neck pickup and the bridge). It is a short scale.

Mike Flick

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 10:35 am     SB differences

Bill's bass is an earlier version SB300 with single coil p.u.s. The later model 450 like George's had humbuckers. The 400 or 450 for both versions denotes long scale (same as a Fender precision) while 300 or 350 is short scale (like the original 1960's Gibson EBs).

Mark Draycott

Princeton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 1:46 pm     SG Bass

Here is the guitar version with the exact same control plate and pickups

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 6:07 am     Re: SG Bass

Mark Draycott wrote:
Here is the guitar version with the exact same control plate and pickups

Correct.. the bass in question is from the SG II series brought out in the early 70's.. They are a budget line, made of Alder, not mahogany, and used cheaper finish, pickups, switches and hardware than the standard SG and EB models of the day.. Still a nice bass thats a different animal from a Fender which is what a lot of bass players[myself included] want... bob

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2019 11:46 am    

Those models were from the Gibson Norlin era & although they are great players, they were not considered very collectible.
One rule of thumb: Always use a hard case for any Gibson; NOT a gigbag. Trust me on this one!

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2019 4:06 pm    

Hi George. Measure from the 5th fret to the 12th and multiply by four. 34"=long scale 32"=medium scale 30"=short scale. RP

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2019 5:22 pm     Scale?

Hi Ron, how’s the weather? Finally got all the way up to 80 here today. I measured from mid 5th fret to mid 12th -9 inches =36 inches. That’s not the numbers you mentioned.
I’ll be back down right after Christmas, looking forward to jamming with you again.
Geo

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2019 6:44 pm    

G, what does it measure from inner edge of the nut to the center of the 12th fret? I know of no basses with a 36" scale. Many 5 stg basses use a 35" scale to tighten up loose low B stg. The temp here is just under 110. HOTTTT!
I got some good gigs coming this fall. Pasty Cline shows and tribute to Loreta Lynn Shows including one at SVE. RP

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2019 11:01 am     Gone

Sold locally.
Geo