The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  John Hughey, Nov. 18, 2007
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 2:33 pm    

I just realized that Papa John left us on November 18, 2007. It's been 10 years since Brother Hughey's passing. Seems like just the other day to me.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 4:34 pm    

Yes, I miss John a lot, and we also share a birthday! Smile

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 8:53 am    

Papa John was one of a kind, bless his heart! Very Happy
Erv

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 1:40 pm    

Holy Moly! It's been that long already?
Thank the Lord, that, we still have videos and such of him playing. He was a true classic and classy man. God Bless and RIP.

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 12:17 am     John Hughey

John will always be missed by many. His friend Ray Walker is now with John.
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Kyle Everson

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 2:13 am    

Still remember where I was when I heard. It was a treat for me to listen to him with Mike Siler before my weekly Wednesday gig. Will never forget his smile.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 6:34 am    

John was my favorite player. I was fortunate to see him live three different times, at a Vince Gill show in Binghamton, NY, at the Norwalk PSGA show, and with the Time Jumpers in Nashville. His autographed picture hangs on the wall in the office at my work place.

William Kendrick

Bedford Heights, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 6:05 pm    

I remember John as a very giving person. When I got my Emmons in 1979 and signed up for Jimmie Crawford's Level I Course in Hendersonville, I did not have a clue as to how to tune a steel guitar. When I shared this with John (he was helping Jimmie), John sat down at my guitar and tuned it by ear. And he would always come by my guitar during the course to find out how I was doing. I did not find out until later that he was Conway Twitty's lifelong steel player. Talk about humble!
1979 Emmons D-10 P/P 8X5, Lawrence L-710 Pickups, Li'l Izzy, Telonics Volume Pedal, Goodrich Super Sustain Matchbox, Lexicon MX200 Dual Reverb Effects Processor, Peavey Vegas 400 Amplifier with BW Speaker.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 8:03 pm    

John passed away the day after I turned 50, Herb. I wish I knew him personally like you did. But I knew him through his music. He did so much for Conway and Vince. I loved his smooth style of playing.
Tommy Shown

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 2:45 pm    

John Hughey was not only a hero of mine, but also a great friend. I'd heard him on Vince Gill's records in the nineties, and in 1999, I saw him onstage playing steel with Vince. I finally got the chance to meet him in 2000, after I started playing steel and we became friends. We played on the same steel guitar show a few times, and in June of '07, he was a headliner for the Georgia Steel Guitar Association show, and I didn't know it would be my last time seeing and hearing John play. John was an inspiration to many steel players, including me. I had a picture of John that he autographed and after he died, I looked at it and couldn't believe one of my steel heroes was gone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2017 8:50 am    

I met John at one the gospel steel shows that Doug Rolfe would put on at Indianapolis, Indiana.
He was such a sweet, humble man and his wife was there with him.
I had my tabs on display and I noticed that John was looking at them.
I commented: "John, you won't learn a thing from those tabs".
We both had a good laugh! Very Happy
Erv