The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who is pedal steeler on these two Porter Wagoner Albums?
Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2018 2:09 pm    

"The Porter Wagoner Show" and "Porter Wagoner In Person" both recorded live before an audience were released in the early 1960's. The steeler on the albums doesn't sound like Wagonmaster Don Warden. Mr. Warden is, however, prominent singing harmony with Porter. I don't think Mr. Warden played pedal steel on Porter's other records in the 60's either. Any answers, or thought would be appreciated. Thx.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2018 4:51 pm    

Last edited by Steve Hinson on 11 Mar 2018 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Franklin

Post  Posted 10 Mar 2018 9:16 pm    

Does anyone have audio available? In 1962 Carl and Pearl Butler recorded "Don't Let Me Crossover" Pete Drake was staff on the Opry and if asked would have backed Porter....Pete recorded on something like 20 top tens that year...Not sure which year Hal moved to Nashville...If it was recorded at the Opry I would guess Day or Pete......But for certain for a few years before 1962 there was less steels and fiddles on country records because of Elvis and rock and roll...Country artists including Dickens and Jones went after that rock a billy sound.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 1:49 am    

Porter Wagoner In Person was supposedly recorded in West Plains, MO--his home town, in January of 1964--- although the cover shot shows him on the Opry stage. I have no idea if it's faked live in Nashville or real live in West Plains. Never heard it. If it's true live in Missouri, that might point to his touring band with Warden. If it's faked, it could be anyone from Nashville.

The Porter Wagoner Show was supposedly recorded at RCA Studio B on Hawkins Street in Nashville in October 1962, with Jimmy Day on steel. I don't think I've ever heard the LP (RCA 2650, with a blue cover), but I think you're led to believe it's a live TV or radio show.

I can't imagine a truly live TV or radio show being broadcast from Studio B, so I assume any applause is faked like on some of those Ernest Tubb/Texas Troubador LPs.

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 4:46 am    

I listened to the "Porter Wagoner in person" album last night on apple music(iTunes) It sounds like Hal to my ears. Whoever it is, its some real tasty work.

Bill

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 7:12 am    

I just listened to the other album, Porter Wagoner Show live. It sounds more like Pete Drake.

Bill

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 4:20 pm    

Someone told me once it was Hal.