The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Steel School half C6 & half E9th Dec 8th & 9th
Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 5 Nov 2017 9:27 pm    

Hello again brother steelers.
Here is a quick note to tell everyone interested in an intermediate to advanced 2 day Steel Class. It will be one whole day of C6th and one whole day of E9th. I already have a couple of guys who have been wanting a class registered. I will stop at 10, which is the most I can do justice to. The class will have strong C6 songs & licks as well as strong E9 songs & licks. We will not cover basics in this class, but I will always be willing to help with your questions. The class will be at my school near Abilene, Texas 930am to 530pm Friday the 8th and Saturday the 9th of December. I will have some C6 stuff on E9th as well, which is very popular these days. We will cover several scales, playing "jams" to songs (which was requested), speed picking of course, pretty backing licks, chord pads, harmonics, and lots of stuff on the chromatic strings on both necks. I will give more info as it develops in a post succeeding this one. As usual the cost of my 2 day class is still $275.00 where I take care of your lunches on both days. More to follow in the next few days.
Larry Toliver,
325.518.3947 cell
larrytoliver@windstream.net

Chuck Hamilton

Flower Mound, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 8:14 am     Steel Class

Larry, count me in and I'm looking forward to it! Larry always puts on a great class with lots of 1 on 1 time and new material that you can actually use. And Suzie is a great host, so I wouldn't miss it.

Bob Case

Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 6:08 pm    

Hey Larry
I really want to do this. Can you give me a call or send me a PM to discuss details?
Thanks
Bob

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 6:18 pm    

Thanks Chuck and Bob! I'm looking forward to it as well. I'm working on some new C6th scales as we speak. Bob, I enjoyed the visit, and I'm glad you decided to come to our school. I always make everyone a promise that if you feel you didn't get your moneys worth, I'll refund it! So far, after 7 years now of steel schools, nobody has asked for one. I also heard from Lee Barber who also committed to come. It should be a nice class, and I'm keeping it small so as to give plenty of one on one time. See y'all in a few days .
Larry T
325.518.3947 cell

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 6:34 pm    

Just wanted to give a few more hints on what we will be covering in the intermediate to advanced school. We will have several songs to learn that will challenge each player. We will cover some of the C6th on E9th that Steve and I will be teaching in Phoenix. For sure, I Don't Get Around Much Anymore, C6 on E9. With a Jam part as well. I have a new Larry's Blues to learn on C6 that will go a little deeper into chord positions, tie in some runs from 1 to 4, 4 to 5, etc. I have some C6 single string fast stuff that will allow you to play along to almost anything, after you have mastered the licks and recognize where they fit into the chord structure. On E9th, I have a new version of Panhandle Rag in E, that I think you will really like. Lots of good chords and picking. We will work on being in tune while you play, proper bar technique, and stuff I need to know as well....playing the note and making it sound good before you go to then next note or phrase. Also, we will work on harmonics, with some dual harmonic runs, and melodies during a song. Also, we will work on kickoffs and endings for various songs. There will be quite a bit more we will cover, as I am putting the finishing touches on the class within the next week or so. Would sure enjoy having you at our steel school. Give me a call and lets visit.
Larry Toliver

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 8:37 pm    

Had a great class this past weekend. The best compliments seemed to come from the John Hughey song...Lost in the Feeling. I had tabbed the whole song as John Hughey played it on his album. We spent the whole morning on it on Friday. Lost of stuff in it to enhance your playing, touch, and technique. Sure looking forward to the Phoenix class with my buddy Steve Palousek. See y'all there!
Larry T

Bob Case

Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 4:30 pm    

This was a great class and in my opinion Larry is an exceptional teacher.
He has the patience to deal with inexperienced players and is still be able to offer more advanced players plenty of material in the same classroom setting (not an easy task).
Larry and Steve Palousek will be doing seminars at the Phoenix and Dallas shows. If you get a chance to take one, I would strongly recommend it. You won't regret it.