The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss Katana Amp???
Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2017 2:07 pm    

I picked up a Katana 50 for $100 on craigslist last week. So far, I've very happy with it.

As far as differences between the 50 and 100, I've noticed that the 50 does not have a Presence knob. Apparently you can still adjust the Presence if you hook it up to a computer, but I haven't tried that yet.

The other obvious difference is the lack of an effects loop on the 50, and a line out that is different from the headphones jack.

I know that this isn't a tube amp, or a 15" speaker. I've got tube amps, and 15" speakers, and I'm happy to use them for appropriate shows... this is just a great small amp that I can plug right into (no need for other pedals). And if it stops working in the future, I'm sure you'll be able to pick them up for even cheaper, which seems hard to believe (not that I'm condoning our disposable culture)

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 6:31 am    

You guys want to know more about the Katana , go to the gearpage.com and search for Boss Katana......One thread has over 600 pages........ Jim

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 6:55 am    

Hey James,,,I think www.gearpage.net will get you there,,,instead of dot com.

I bought the Kat50 at GC (45 day trial period). I love it for the most part,,,however,,,,I'm getting a "tinny ZING",,,especially on high end,,,but also noticeable in the decay of the low end. Can't seem to get it tweaked out??? Any opinions???

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 3:39 am    

Hi Sonny,
Actually it's www.thegearpage.net 😊

Leo Melanson

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 12:52 pm     Katana 100

Been using my Katana for 6 months and love it for its light weight and flexibility.
The amp is really good as a practice, rehearsal and small gig guitar amp where light weight and minimal stage space is needed. The three power settings are great ... with .5 for warm-up, 50W for indoor gigs and 100W for outdoor gigs. The amp is not the greatest for Steel .. but it works, is loud and clean and has great headroom. The effects are an added bonus if you don't want to drag around reverb or delay pedals.

I play Electric Guitar, Pedal Steel Guitar, Banjo and Fiddle in various cover bands
and need a flexible solution from one amp. With the Katana I can setup (4) distinct EQ and Gain setups for each instrument and recall them from the top buttons or better via the (hard to find) foot switch. I used to play through a Nashville 112, but I had to fiddle with EQ settings between songs for each instrument. Theres no time for that. The CLEAN channel setting is suitable for steel, fiddle, banjo.

For me this combination of light weight and stage flexibility makes it a great gig amp for the multi-instrumentalist. As a stand-alone guitar amp .. this thing rocks and has some very inspiring tones .... as a steel amp ... there are better out there .. but for $340 you deserve to have this as a backup, rehearsal or home amp.