The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Milkman 40W Pedal Steel Mini vs. Quilter Steelaire Combo
Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 9:05 am    

Besides the huge price difference between the two, and one being tube and the other solid state, is this a "apples to apples" comparison? Does the Milkman have a more mellow tone than the Steelaire? Can you play through the Milkman in a small room (10' x 12') and be able to hear all the ranges from low to high without blowing out the windows?

I should add as a side note that I do not play out. The Milkman Mini would be used only in my home.

Last edited by Jerry Berger on 27 Oct 2017 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 9:47 am    

It’s an “apples to oranges” comparison.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 11:09 am    

i think the mini would be a great amp for a small room, better than the quilter at low volumes. but for bigger rooms you need more than 40W to stay clean and loud. the quilter sounds great but is not a tube amp, side by side i choose tubes every time, but own a Quilter as it can handle larger gigs and louder bands and is still quite portable. I am looking at trying out the Milkman Half and Half hoping to get a warmer tube like tone out of it while still retaining the high wattage. The Mini sounds like an amazing amp for small rooms and recording sessions, but maybe not so great in a full band situation.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 11:32 am    

I can't comment on the Quilter as I've never owned or played through one. But I do have a MM Mini. If you are playing with a loud band without mic'ing your amp, the Mini will probably not be adequate. But I've used my Mini with a loud band playing both outdoor and indoor venues with a mic on the Mini, and it sounded fabulous each time, and was easily loud enough to do the job.

Those 40 tube watts can get really loud. I have often played with the volume up around 7 or 8. The amp stays clean with some real pleasing sounding tube compression.

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 3:14 pm    

I'm with Paul on that. I've played though my Mini with a loud band, rockers where everything was mic'd, and had no problem with stage volume. I would have mic'd a twin in that situation. The Mini sounded great.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2017 3:46 am    

If the 'Mini' is not adequate (volume wise) for most indoor situations, you might rethink working with your present band as your hearing may be in serious jeopardy. When using mine at larger venues however, I do sometimes add an extension cab loaded with a Telonics 15" and that combination has always proven more than equal to any task...FYI: Own both the 'Steelaire' and the aforementioned 'Mini' and the Milkman has the definite edge in the tone department. However, since Virginia still allows smoking in most clubs and having no desire to compromise my favorite amp, I find myself favoring the Quilter, (which remains one of the best sounding solid state units available IMO), for many jobs.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2017 5:01 am    

Ive owned both, so Ill try and answer, Keep in mind we all hear things differently, and the mini is available with different speakers, which can make a difference.

I would need you to define "mellow' for me a bit more,so I could give you a better answer.

While the Mini is only 40 watts, its a very loud 40 watts. I think the mini is also capable of a warm tone at low volume, to directly answer your specific question about playing a small room.

Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2017 5:31 am    

You all can disregard this thread. I bought a Milkman Half & Half. Smile Thanks for all of your input.
Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Berger on 28 Oct 2017 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2017 10:18 am    

still a good thread!

I'd agree with David above.. WOW.. if 40 tube watts is not enough for your band then your band is WAAAAY too loud!!!

Laughing

I play 90% of my gigs with one of Tims amps and its about 20 watts... turned up to 7.5 that is LOUD.

If you're playing a 400 person room and they are NOT mic'ing your amp and asking you to fill the room with your amp RUN NOW as that is not a remotely professional set up!

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2017 10:35 am    

If the half and half isn’t loud enough, you could just stick icepicks in your ears and save time wrecking them!

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2017 5:48 pm    

that MM 40 is a nice looking amp , but not for $2500.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2017 6:01 pm    

$2500 for a hand wired amp made with quality and love and full support of a great guy is definitely NOT too much money! Those crappy PC board mexican made Fenders that sound like ASS are $1500 for their Twin now!

Yes 2500 for an amp is a lot but for what you get its what he should be charging!

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2017 6:02 pm    

Just my opinion though!

Smile

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2017 10:03 pm    

I'm just home from playing an early gig. I used the Milkman Mini tonight and it really sounded good. The amp sounds better in context than by itself. It sounds good at home, but it excels when on stage with other instruments. It seems to have the right timbre in the mix.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2017 8:07 am    

Greg Lambert wrote:

Greg, if you look inside one of those new fender amps you will see globs of silicon on cheap circuit boards put together by slave labor wage barely trained workers. Every part that is used was decided on by an investment banker in order to increase profit margins. Compare that to a labor of love from a world class master craftsman. The Milkman mini is one of the best amps you could ever play through. Built to last decades. The new economies of scale affordable amps are disposable and although they have there place they are pieces of crap compared to the new breed of hand made in America amps.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2017 12:57 pm    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
Greg Lambert wrote:

Greg, if you look inside one of those new fender amps you will see globs of silicon on cheap circuit boards put together by slave labor wage barely trained workers. Every part that is used was decided on by an investment banker in order to increase profit margins. Compare that to a labor of love from a world class master craftsman. The Milkman mini is one of the best amps you could ever play through. Built to last decades. The new economies of scale affordable amps are disposable and although they have there place they are pieces of crap compared to the new breed of hand made in America amps.

Well Im sure that they are a high quality amp and you really make some good points. Guess Im just looking at the home side of economics. I paid around $400 for my NV112 several years ago and have a great sound and plenty of power. Not to say that I wouldnt like to have a MM.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2017 3:12 pm    

Greg, you might have me on that one . Those Peavey amps can sound real good. I know plenty of players that could play through anything that won’t give up there Nashville 400.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2017 4:33 pm    

Jerry keep us posted on your new purchase. When you sell it you could buy a wall of used N400's, boy then you would have some sound to play with. We are all looking for a sound that moves us, just wish it came quicker and cost less over time.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 7:42 am    

Jerry Berger wrote:
You all can disregard this thread. I bought a Milkman Half & Half. Smile Thanks for all of your input.
Jerry

Thats great! Welcome to the Milkman family!

Regarding amps and price - I never understand this argument which seems to pop up every few months here on the Forum. My take is: would you play a $400 pedal steel over a hand built $2500 pedal steel simply because of the price? Why does the same logic never apply for amplifiers when the results are identical?
Milkman Sound on Twitter

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 7:57 am    

Tim I agree about the $400 steel vs the $2500 steel, but to me amps might not fall in the same category. Production run amps can be made for less $$$ than single production units for many reasons. They can sound good and work well and they can sell 1,000 of them vs gearing up to sell a few a year. This is not a knock on you or your amp or other amp builders just the cost of doing business for the manufacture(s).

Some players love your amp, some love Telonics, some love the Little W, some love PV, some love Fender, some love the Sarno products, some love the Walker system. Lots to choose from, lots of competition, many different sounds, many different budgets. WE ARE ALL GOOD.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 9:28 am    

Tim Marcus wrote:
Jerry Berger wrote:
Jerry

Thats great! Welcome to the Milkman family!

Regarding amps and price - I never understand this argument which seems to pop up every few months here on the Forum. My take is: would you play a $400 pedal steel over a hand built $2500 pedal steel simply because of the price? Why does the same logic never apply for amplifiers when the results are identical?

Thanks Tim,

I'm looking forward to playing my Zum through one of your amps!
Jerry

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 12:14 pm    

a 6L6 around $25.

Good capacitors from .35 cents to $6

12" BW speaker around $150.

overhead , variable

I
If MM would lower their prices to around $1200 -$1500 they would flood the market with their steel amps. At that price I would definitely buy one.

But the cost of living in CA is extremely high so I guess thats why the price is as such.

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 2:01 pm    

Greg... I do not set prices based on where I live. Thats got absolutely nothing to do with it. I set them based on time and materials like any other company.

I have no interest in "flooding the market" with cheap steel amps or anything cheap. Thats already been done by another company mentioned earlier in this thread. That said, you can get a perfectly great Milkman 300W Half and Half pedal steel amplifier model for exactly the price range you quoted.

Dale Hampton

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 3:00 pm     tube amps my opinion

If you don't hear something special while playing through an old Fender or or new quality tube amp....consider your self lucky, because you can get by with the less pricey solid state amps that are out there. For me...The sound that comes from tubes...inspires me to play because I like what I am hearing out of my guitar. I wish that I could find a link to Buddy's words on the subject, but it went like this.. the people listening couldn't hear a difference in amps or guitars. He disagreed stating that if the amp, or guitar inspired you to play....then it does matter to the listener. You owe it to yourself to try tubes. But not the new reissue junk. Dale

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 6:07 pm    

Tim Marcus wrote:
Greg... I do not set prices based on where I live. Thats got absolutely nothing to do with it. I set them based on time and materials like any other company.

I have no interest in "flooding the market" with cheap steel amps or anything cheap. Thats already been done by another company mentioned earlier in this thread. That said, you can get a perfectly great Milkman 300W Half and Half pedal steel amplifier model for exactly the price range you quoted.

I looked at those and was impressed with the sound on youtube. But not as impressed as I was with the 40 watt and the 85 watt steel amp. There just a little out of my price range..... maybe someday though. I will say that the MM has totally changed my mind and wants about a Fender amp.