The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sarno V8 ? Milkman H&H ?
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 10:42 am    

Has anyone compared the V8 to the Half and Half ? I am looking for a smaller amp than my quilter, preferably to use with a 12" speaker and direct out. the steelaire's xlr out is very noisy to the point that I cant use it. On the table is V8 plus NV112 or Furlong SPLIT, or MM H&H 12" combo. Also looking at the newest Evans JE200. I'd love a sound somewhere between the Peavey LTD400 and a twin. midrange bite and punch of the Peavey but warmth of the twin, if that makes sense. would love some opinions ! thanks

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 10:58 am    

I own both and they sound great. Slightly different flavors but both are truly amazing. The big difference will be what you use them for. Milkman H and H is a simple and perfect throw and go amp. The V8 stays in my recording rig and sounds way better than it should going direct. If your band is using in ears you could get by with only the V8 and you would still sound better than anything you have played through before.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 11:10 am    

A V8 through a Furlong is pretty hard to beat. I only played through that combo once, but it stopped me and several others in their tracks.

I would like to be playing through that rig.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 1:39 pm    

the furlong is no longer in production correct ?

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 2:11 pm    

My H&H with a 15" Telonics speaker sounds killer. I'm sure the 12" sounds just as good. The line out is super quiet, too. You're correct about the Furlong unit not being made now. The weight on the H&H will delight you as well. I went to it from a NV400. Our drummer was was helping me load out when I first got it, and I thought he was going to throw it over his head when he picked it up. Great amp.

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 6:08 pm    

I put my V8 in front of a Quilter 101 - I love the combination. Put it all in a custom Rick Johnson cab with a neo 12" whole thing weighs under 30lbs I get lots of compliments on the sound of this amp. I use it for steel and guitar too.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 7:04 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
I own both and they sound great. Slightly different flavors but both are truly amazing. The big difference will be what you use them for. Milkman H and H is a simple and perfect throw and go amp. The V8 stays in my recording rig and sounds way better than it should going direct. If your band is using in ears you could get by with only the V8 and you would still sound better than anything you have played through before.

that V8 sounds super tempting. Bob have you had a chance to try the 12" MM H&H ?

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 7:05 am    

Dyke Corson wrote:
I put my V8 in front of a Quilter 101 - I love the combination. Put it all in a custom Rick Johnson cab with a neo 12" whole thing weighs under 30lbs I get lots of compliments on the sound of this amp. I use it for steel and guitar too.

that looks incredibly cool. I'd love to hear how it stacks up against the Milkman amp

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 10:58 am    

Karen: I've noticed that you seem to like the good stuff, and actually carry through and make the purchases. I have a Sarno V8, and it really is very special when paired with a good reverb unit, power amp and speaker combo. I also have a Milkman Mini, not the Half & Half. It is an outstanding amp. I bet the H&H model is as good as everyone claims. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 2:01 pm    

ha Paul yeah I am cursed with high end taste. I will probably end yp ordering the Milkman H&H. I like my steelaire but would like something smaller with a tube pre so that I dont have to take my black box out all the time. I do buy a lot of gear, but I sell a lot too. I'll never be a gear hoarder, i get rid of stuff as soon as I stop using it all the time. I'm still fairly new to the steel guitar wold and just trying to dial in my tone which I know it 99% in the hands and comes from hours of practice. But theres a lot to be said for high end gear Whoa!

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 3:18 am    

I have a 15" Milkman H&H and I like it a lot. One downside, and I'm being super nitpicky here, is that preamp tube seem to last 2 years more or less these days so you will be rolling some new ones sooner or later. Not a deal breaker by any means but worth knowing. I replaced the pair that came in mine after 18 months or so. I would also be VERY tempted by a Telonics combo.

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 6:47 am    

...or you can see what Brad thinks Rolling Eyes

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 9:22 am    

Gary Cosden wrote:
I have a 15" Milkman H&H and I like it a lot. One downside, and I'm being super nitpicky here, is that preamp tube seem to last 2 years more or less these days so you will be rolling some new ones sooner or later. Not a deal breaker by any means but worth knowing. I replaced the pair that came in mine after 18 months or so. I would also be VERY tempted by a Telonics combo.

depending on how much you are using the amp... its smart to replace the tubes at least that often. At $15 a pop, hopefully its not too much of an inconvenience. Its certainly easier to do than re-string a D10

The Sarno V8 has tubes as well, so you would be in the same boat regarding tube replacement. Thats one advantage solid state designs have, but in my experience thats the only advantage because when it comes to tone, there is no comparison when it comes to tube designs!
Milkman Sound on Twitter

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2017 5:16 pm    

Gary Cosden wrote:

Yeah then there's telonics Whoa!

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2017 8:11 pm    

I love my 12" Mini Telonics-best I have ever owned and the DI is killer. Compact and under 30 pounds and headroom a giant can walk through. Have a V8 that I use for steel and lots of other things, too.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2017 8:24 pm    

I just put a Mullard long plate 12AX7 in V1 of my Half & Half. It really makes the amp sparkle.

I've never tried the Sarno V8, so I can't help with the comparison. Sorry.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2017 7:25 am    

John Macy wrote:
I love my 12" Mini Telonics-best I have ever owned and the DI is killer. Compact and under 30 pounds and headroom a giant can walk through. Have a V8 that I use for steel and lots of other things, too.

John do you use a black box with the telonics ?

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2017 6:42 pm    

Sometimes-I have BB on one pedalboard and not on the other. It does sweeten it up a bit. Adjusting the buffer on the Telonics volume pedal did a lot, too, Best amp I have ever owned.