INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marty Stuart in Chicago Dec. 16
Frank Freniere

Chicago, IL
Post Posted 14 Oct 2017 7:40 am     Reply with quote

Chris Scruggs on non-pedal steel and bass at the Old Town School of Folk Music 8pm.
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post Posted 14 Oct 2017 9:10 am     Reply with quote

Thanks, Frank...and for you New Englanders, I just now noticed Marty and his Fabulous Superlatives will be at the Flying Monkey in Plymouth, NH on December 9
gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post Posted 14 Oct 2017 11:12 am     Reply with quote

I just saw them last night on Bluegrass Underground, and they were great, but Chris only played bass.
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post Posted 16 Oct 2017 6:29 am     Re: Marty Stuart in Chicago Dec. 16 Reply with quote

Frank Freniere wrote:
Chris Scruggs on non-pedal steel and bass at the Old Town School of Folk Music 8pm.

Holy moly! Might have to get out for that one!
Jeff Garden

Post Posted 16 Oct 2017 7:52 am     Reply with quote

I'll give you guys the pre-Chicago review - I got tickets for Dec 9 in Plymouth NH last nite.
Jeff Garden

Post Posted 10 Dec 2017 8:24 am     Reply with quote

I went to see Marty Stuart last nite. What a great show by a master showman and musician. Clarence White's modified B-Bender Tele that Marty plays is absolutely the best sounding Tele I've ever heard. Twang, Tele "bite", and the sound cuts through the mix to really stand out. I was a little disappointed that Gary Carter wasn't along to play steel but Marty sure made up for it with LOTS of great B-Bender licks. Great dual Tele work throughout with "Cuzin'" Kenny Vaughan. For you gearheads it looked like a stage of Fender Deluxe Reverb amps. Bassist Chris Scruggs played one tune on non-pedal. They opened with 3 or 4 kickin' electric guitar tunes like "The Whiskey Ain't Workin' Anymore" and then a surf guitar tune off their new "Way Out West" album. They switched it up with crystal clear acoustic guitar in a tribute to Grady Martin who played on Marty Robbins hit "El Paso". More acoustic tunes highlighted by Marty playing a solo mandolin version of "Orange Blossom Special". They finished up with a nice gospel number and more new electric tunes off "Way Out West". Kenny, Chris, and drummer Harry Stinson all got a chance to feature on songs. All in all, a great nite out and the sound was outstanding.
Here's a youtube video of "El Paso" from a performance last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q2-HdjuPDM
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post Posted 10 Dec 2017 8:59 am     Reply with quote

Jeff, I got to see them in Jersey back in the spring, one of the best shows I've been too. Glad you enjoyed it!

Chicago, IL
Post Posted 10 Dec 2017 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

Nice review, Jeff - I am really primed to see them this week.
James Flaherty

California, USA
Post Posted 11 Dec 2017 11:57 am     oOTSOFM Reply with quote

Wow, this makes me wish I still lived in Chicago. I used to live 2 blocks away from the OTSFM and used to take guitar lessons there. They have great acts that come through there.
Frank Freniere

Chicago, IL
Post Posted 17 Dec 2017 1:00 pm     Reply with quote

Marty and the Superlatives were, well, fabulous last night at Chicago's Old Town School of Folk Music. It was Chris Scruggs's birthday and the non-pedal steel was featured on "Long Black Veil."

One observation: I was able to shake Marty's hand as he left the stage and it was like grabbing a clump of emery boards. I can't imagine the calluses on his left hand! I'll bet Chris also has monster calluses as he was giving his doghouse bass a good workout all night.

Jeff Garden

Post Posted 17 Dec 2017 1:42 pm     Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed it, Frank Smile