The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sara Jory
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 8:38 pm    

this has to be one of my favorite videos lol ...

https://youtu.be/JNaRMuPBhP0

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 2:22 am    

it's part of her show, it works,it's part of her entertainment thing. But lets remember that when Buddy did it , it wasn't from the mood of the music, it was likely he was really "out of the box" , maybe playing something he "just found " at that moment or perhaps he was going someplace he did not intend to ! Buddy didn't show emotion from his own licks or phrases, he showed a "reaction" TO his licks and phrases !

it's all good, Sarah is fine talent, always enjoyed her show.

Now Joe Wright...well , he's a whole new chapter ! Whatever you do don't try to "one up" verbally him in public ! Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 2:33 am    

Damir Besic wrote:

Yep! Very Happy

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 7:51 am     Re: Sara Jory

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Brian Henry wrote:
Sara is a great steel guitarist, but why all the constipation theatrics?

I thought this remark was terribly rude. You see players of many instruments make facial expressions while playing. This is overly abundant with rock players. Even in country you see a lot of this behavior, especially the newer country.

Lighten up.

I am with you Richard. There is no positive benefit from this post and consider it to be Bullying and Crass. It lacks positive substance!

I personally know Sarah and such derogatory comments are highly offensive. But, regardless if I know her or not, this is unsatisfactory, in my opinion.

Charley

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 9:57 am    

It's the old "cry wolf" syndrome. Guitar face been done to death until you can't tell whether it's real or not. At least her nails are clean... Winking

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 5:58 pm     The Big "E"

Hey Damir, I bet I seen that You Tube clip a dozen times. One of my favorites also!!!

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 5:19 am    

I've had people approach me and say stuff like "I like the part where you went....." and they make some weird face. I was so into the music & didn't know I was doing that. Totally subconscious. But that's what I do.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 6:14 am    

Please don't misunderstand this but I find the affectations (that's certainly what they are) to be disconcerting.

I think Sarah is an extremely accomplished player and one of the very best to ever come from my side of the Atlantic. I believe at some point she decided to add something to her performances and the histrionics started. She's a player that I'd far sooner listen to than watch.

She's still a great player, however.

Another master-musician who falls into the same category for me is Tommy Emmanuel. I simply can't watch him without becoming irritated despite his undeniable virtuosity. Like Sarah, I'd sooner listen than watch.

Buddy Emmons? That was totally different. He remained committed to what he was doing yet his sense of humor was always evident. Did you notice how, whenever a photographer would approach the stage, he'd give a broad smile even if he kept his head down as he did so. He was always in such control yet, when he did make a mistake, he'd share the joke with all of us.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 6:52 am    

Roger, I agree with you 100%. There is a difference between natural expression and rock-star theatrics. I'll just leave it at that. Winking

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 7:21 am    

Thanks, Doug. I expect a roasting from someone but your opinion is of value.

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 7:24 am     Doug, Roger,

Are we differentiating between contrivance and authenticity?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 7:32 am    

I think so.

With Sarah and Tommy E. it's a contrivance. Why else would she lift her picking hand up in the air as she pushes a knee lever? I believe she's drawing attention the instrument's complexity (in case the Great Unwashed don't notice!)

Let me stress that both the players I've cited are, in their own way, the products of endless practice and dedication to their craft. They have my deep respect.

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 7:37 am     Sara Jory

I first met and heard Sara when she was 16 and she played and made the same faces then as she does now. Steel is her passion!! Enough said.

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 8:20 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
I think so.

With Sarah and Tommy E. it's a contrivance. Why else would she lift her picking hand up in the air as she pushes a knee lever? I believe she's drawing attention the instrument's complexity (in case the Great Unwashed don't notice!)

Let me stress that both the players I've cited are, in their own way, the products of endless practice and dedication to their craft. They have my deep respect.

I have the same respect.

Bob Ricker

Nashville Tn
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 8:27 am    

I think its tough to make it as an instrumentalist, anywhere.
I have heard her back in St. Louis and what impressed me was she would play interesting songs, no matter the expression, or stage wear or what ever.
I guess I am of that opinion with any instrumentalist, still it is personal taste. I was impressed with her song selection and capability.
I have a hard time at steel shows when I hear songs like "All of Me", "Steel Guitar Rag"..etc. Players like Tommy Dodd always made me take notice, he always plays something very musical. I remember a player at the Knoxville show, playing great traditional country which sounded incredible, great tone, then played a song like "Because" by the Dave Clark Five. I was impressed, I don't even know his name, think he was local, but he has stood out in my mind as a great and entertaining steel player in my mind for 20 years.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 11:28 am    

Some of the comments on this thread are very (non-deliberately) humourous. As someone who spent a fair amount of time teaching Sarah to play in her younger years, all I will say is this. Enjoy her playing for what it is and ignore her facial expressions. They are an irrelevance.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 12:08 pm    

Damir Besic wrote:

Me too Damir. The whole room comes to life when Buddy starts to play. The other musicians know that they are in the presence of greatness.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2017 7:09 am    

Doug, I really love your work, and think you are up there with the best. Sara is a wonderful player, of so many instruments. I remember seeing Jimmy Day, in Germany, on tour with Ray Price. Night Life was a big hit for steel at that time. When Ray done this song, Jimmy made the facial expressions of every note he played. That was when I fell in love with the pedal steel guitar. I can't do it, not sure if it's just me, or I have to keep my mind on what I'm doing. I have enjoyed every comment in this section. Yes, Joe Wright is a real treat, and is a great guy.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2017 8:33 am    

Can I quickly point out that her name is Sarah and not Sara as a few have written it. Embarassed

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2017 11:06 am    

Well I think Sarah is Bad A$$. She is one of my favorites, and also a great friend. She is so talented on so many instruments, I bet it makes several people jealous that she can even do it with her eyes closed. It does me HAHA. The way I see it 95% or more of steel guitar players are shoved in a corner or the dark part of the stage, there are only a big handful I can think of that plays front and center and is the SHOW on a regular basis. So since she can't jump around and jump off speakers and all the other things that the main Artist does to give it life, I think she has found a way to do that from her guitar seat. I think it's Awesome!!

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2017 11:11 am    

Disappointed by some of these comments

Last edited by Mike Neer on 16 Oct 2017 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2017 11:11 am    

There must be Stiletto envy here .........She is bad to the bone and can out pick most, whilst wearing those Stilettos.

Plus, she's an alumni of BYNG Academy Very Happy

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2017 2:00 pm    

Yes, your right Ken it is Sarah, but it is pronounced the same way. There are some of us, that are not the best typist to0. She is remarkable no matter how you spell her name.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2017 4:20 pm    

It's getting to the point where one has to be careful of expressing an opinion on here.

I think she's a great player but I respectfully disagree with Ken when he says her presentation is 'an irrelevance'. It affects my enjoyment of her fine playing so, as is also the case with Mr Emmanuel, for me it is relevant.

No 'envy' here, just respect for her accomplishments.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2017 4:21 pm    

Double-post.