The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SOLVED Split tuning wont - whats the adjustment
Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2017 10:00 am    

This is a Carter with a pull rod style tune-able split, string 6 of E9.

My choices are either correct pitch on the split G or the RKL F#. I cannot get both.

Split tuner nut is completely disengaged when RKL is sharp. If RKL is tuned to F#, the B pedal +RKL split is now flat.

WHICH of the two rods needs to be relocated in the bellcrank/changer and should it be for more or less leverage? Seems like more travel in the knee lever will create new problems with the four other things it does. Thanks for help.

EXTRA CREDIT: Id like to add a split rod to string 4 to get F natural using C pedal plus LKL (LKL normally lowers to Eb). Without extra hardware, the F is sharp. I have an idea, but need knowledge.

Thank you.

Last edited by Keith Bolog on 7 Oct 2017 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2017 12:26 pm    

Is your tuning sequence correct for that string?

1. Tune open string
2. Tune B pedal
3. Engage the B pedal and the lever that lowers to F#, and tune the G note with the nylon nut on the lowering rod.
4. With the B pedal not engaged, engage the lever that lowers the string, and tune it to F# with the extra Raise rod on that string. I tune it with my E to D# lever as I use that combination a lot.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2017 12:33 pm    

For extra credit:

Do exactly what you see on the 6th string split. Should work. Although, I wouldn't do it. I need a good solid stop on the F note. I hit it so fast some times that having to press both the C pedal and the D# lower is way too much work to get the same thing as using the A pedal and F lever. Maybe there is something I am missing.

Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 8:32 am     tuning sequence

Richard. thank you for reply.

Yes

I tune the G. Engage the lever only and it is way sharp. I back off the Red nut and it disengages and becomes ineffective while the string is still noticeably sharp. Of course I can tune the lever with the other nut. Then the split is out of tune.

I cant wrap my mind around how to adjust it. Need some Ritalin.

=============

Try this walk down. Grip 2 3 4 or 3 4 5

B+C

B+C + lower E string lever

B

B+ lower E

Step 2 needs that split. I use this move in an original song written by the Cow Ponies - its always sour and I need to record it.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 10:47 am    

Maybe this diagram will help. I have it as a gif., but when I link it here it's a jpeg.....it was originally a link provided by Patrick Laffrat which no longer exists.

Anyway, Richard's sequence:

1: Tune open G# at peghead

2: Tune B pedal G# to A green line

3: Tune Split w/B pedal and lever engaged...G note..blue line

4: Tune final lower G# to F# red line with the extra rod.

Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 1:11 pm    

The Q is

If RED rod is detuned all the way and the string is still sharp when lowering the KL, then one or more of those colored rods needs to be repositioned to have more or less movement so that it is all balanced.

My only GUESS: Allow the lever to travel further. But that RKL operates strings 1,2,and 5 E9 plus 3 and C6. Im opening a can of worms.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 7:00 pm    

Did it work before? Have you changed strings and now it won't work? Are you starting from an "overtuned" position on the B pedal? if you are sure the correct size string is installed, maybe back off all the tuning nuts and re-tune everything in the correct sequence.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2017 4:02 am    

Keith, drop me an email and I will take you pictures of my Carter and the split tuning bellcranks.

Then you can call me and I will walk you through adjusting.

bferguson1947@gmail.com
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2017 4:16 am    

My guess is also the lever needs more travel.

Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2017 5:58 am    

Thanks for responses

Extra travel on the lever did NOT solve the problem by itself. But it should have.

I therefore added a tiny bit of travel, and moved the Red/extra rod in the bellcrank to the furthest hole and gained just enough of what I needed. It was a little more pull on the main rod combined with a little extra relief on the Split tuner that did it - barely. But it doesnt make sense when you think it out.

Specific to other questions: The guitar is new to me.

Now to add the other split - its pretty crowded around that fourth string.