The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Buddy Emmons Story
Fish

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 9:41 pm    

Since his passing in July of 2015 I've been working steadily on Buddy's yet-untitled biography. The book is framed by Buddy's own memoirs - which he gave to me to use as a solid framework - and includes everything from formal interviews to casual conversations with Buddy and with dozens of friends, artists and musicians who worked with him over the decades. The book is a labor of love on a subject I'm endlessly passionate about; I'm not writing from a fan's standpoint but rather as an objective observer. I hope to have the book completed in less than a year.

Buddy's journey, both as a musician and as an inventor, is a universal story. My goal is not to address the book solely to the steel guitar community, but rather to the world at large. To do otherwise would - I believe - be an injustice to Buddy's legacy. I'm hopeful steel guitarists - who can be some of the most opinionated and fiercely independent people in music (myself included) - will find inspiration from Buddy's story. Those looking for a detailed deep dive into, say, the merits of the push-pull mechanism vs. the all-pull system will be disappointed. I believe those discussions are best left for debate here on the SGF.

Paul Franklin once said to me, referring to Buddy, "he chose you" to tell this story. Paul's words were and are extremely humbling. I will work as hard as I possibly can to be worthy of this responsibilty. To improve my writing skills, I re-entered college - after being away for 43 years - and graduated from MTSU with a degree in liberal studies - with an emphasis in "English" and "Music Industry" in 2017.

It's remarkable how many talented and very busy musicians have agreed to talk about Buddy Emmons. I only wish he could now read this partial list: Linda Ronstadt, Ray Price, Pat Martino, Little Jimmy Dickens, Judy Collins, Jimmy Work (who wrote and sang "Making Believe" from Buddy's first hit recording session in Detroit in1954), Paul Franklin, Carol Kaye, Duane Eddy, drummer Jan Kurtis (Buddy's roomate on tour with Ernest Tubb and Ray Price), Ron Elliott, Brenda Lee, Ben Keith, Mike Cass, John Sebastian, Johnny Bush, Buddy Spicher, Bernie Leadon, Albert Lee, producer John Boylan (Suite:Steel), Jay Dee Maness, Georgene "GiGi" Emmons and Willie Nelson have all been interviewed. There are many, many more.

Buddy was a complicated and guarded individual, to say the least; he wasn't easy to get to know. I can't tell you how many people have said to me "you'll never really 'know' Buddy Emmons." Over time I think I was able to earn his trust and get him to open up as much as he was willing. Put it this way: Buddy always answered every question I asked as honestly as possible and he was always very generous with his time.

His unexpected passing came as a shock to all of us. I can't tell you how many questions I wish I could ask him now.

I'll send reports - and even post some chapter snippets - here from time to time. I may pursue a pre-order "crowd-funding" campaign in order to help with artwork, publishing and marketing costs. We did this with The Big E tribute album and it really helped out a great deal. Thanks again to all those who bought the album. All proceeds continue to go to the Country Music Hall of Fame in the name of Peggy Emmons: https://www.amazon.com/Big-Salute-Steel-Guitarist-Emmons/dp/B00DJJAXN8

Here are a few sample quotes from interviews:

Drummer Jan Kurtis on the time he first time he played with Ernest Tubb and the Texas Troubadours in 1959: "So Buddy turned to me and said, 'Do you know the tune ‘Oleo?' And I said, 'Yeah, I do. I've played it.' And he says, 'Alright.' So he kicked it off. And I'm telling you, I was wiped out. These guys played so good. I was amazed by Buddy."

Pat Martino on hearing Buddy's version of "The Great Stream" for the first time:
"I was floored; I'd never heard steel guitar played like that. The precision of his performance of that particular composition was an achievement in itself, since there were no other regular six-string guitarists who had ever attempted to play that song. And to hear it on steel guitar as accurately as Buddy played it, that really floored me."

Carol Kaye on meeting Buddy at the Volcanic Action of My Soul sessions for Ray Charles: "He was playing steel. We were tuning up and he was playing some chords and I said, "oh, you're a jazz player." And he said, "yeah, some." You know how polite he was about his playing. He played some stuff, and I thought 'yeah, that's great.' He owned it on steel, with the way that he was playing jazz."

Ray Price on Buddy's work on the first Emmons pedal steel design: "Buddy sat on my bus for three years filing out and designing the steel guitar that he built - going down the road. I’m telling you, he's the most dedicated person I know. He's like my right arm."

I'll keep you updated when I come up for air.

Steve Fishell

Previously I posted this in the "Info on Buddy Emmons in Detroit" thread:

"Briefly: Buddy and I worked together on his autobiography - based on about 70 pages of his incomplete memoirs - from March until December 2010 (Tom, you are right on the money regarding the number of pages!).

After eight months, with Buddy losing sleep over the memories that our work generated, he asked me to stop at the end of 2010. Please read this note from Buddy posted on the SGF: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=197856&highlight=buddy+steve+fishell

After that post, Buddy made a pact with me that he would bequeath his memoirs to me - to be used as the basis for a book - IF I would halt all work until after he was gone. I honored that promise and so did he.

I have been working steadily on the book ever since. I will post more about the work-in-progress next week."

Last edited by Fish on 28 Nov 2018 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 2:13 am    

can't wait.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 2:58 am    

The most unique and dedicated man I've ever known. I am excited for the book to be finished. Thanks Fish !

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 3:17 am    

Looking forward to reading it.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 3:28 am    

I can't wait until the book comes out!

Adair Torres

Sao Paulo, Brazil
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 5:25 am    

I can't wait for it.....Looking forward to reading it.

Congrats Fish..

Zum D10 8X7 Wineberry 2010.
Emmons SD10 3X8 Black 1994.
Derby D10 8X8 Rosewood 2008.
TowerS SD10 3X5 Imbuia Mica Finish 2018

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 5:27 am    

Thanks and I'm in on the crowd funding if you decide to do that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 6:07 am    

As much as it's overused, the word awesome seems totally appropriate here..
Thanks, Fish!

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 7:22 am    

To Buddy, RIP. (Thanks For The Memories). I am in for the crowd funding. J.R. Rose

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 7:53 am    

Keep up the good work Steve, and congratulations on going back to college! I admire your dedication.

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 7:59 am    

I am very pleased that the Emmons bio is continuing. Being a musician for the last 50 years, and also involved in a county historical society, I know how important it is to preserve and tell the Buddy Emmons story. There are very few if any other musicians that were part of the Nashville and county music scene from basically 1955 to 2007 like Emmons was. That's really something to think about! Thank you Steve!!!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 7:59 am    

Thank you. Steve - the project couldn't be in better hands.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 8:16 am     Re: The Buddy Emmons Story

Fish wrote:

...Pat Martino on hearing Buddy's version of "The Great Stream" for the first time:
"I was floored; I'd never heard steel guitar played like that. The precision of his performance of that particular composition was an achievement in itself, since there were no other regular six-string guitarists who had ever attempted to play that song. And to hear it on steel guitar as accurately as Buddy played it, that really floored me."

I was at the I.S.G.C. the first time Buddy did this song there, and it was a special happening, to be sure. Some, however (the typical "Way to Survive" crowd) did not really know how to react.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us9HUrkycAQ

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 8:50 am    

Thank you, Steve. Buddy deserves this - IMO, he was truly The Godfather of modern steel. At 75, I hope I live long enough to read this book. He was, and still is, my musical idol. Sad

Last edited by Barry Blackwood on 28 Nov 2018 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 8:55 am    

You go Fish! Cannot wait!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 9:14 am    

Fish, can't help but admire your work ethic: going back to college to become a better writer! Start writing your own memoirs, too, love to hear your road and studio stories! Best, John McClung

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 9:59 am    

All the best to you as you work this out. I'll look forward to reading it.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 10:30 am    

You go, Fish. This is terrific.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 11:09 am    

Fish, you got my attention and vote. Anxious to read this. Your dedication should be commented.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 12:00 pm     count me in!

I can't think of anything I'm looking forward to more than this book. many of us were following the progress of Buddy and Steve when Big E was still with us and posting regularly on the forum. it was a major letdown when the project was nixed.

so glad that we are finally seeing this, probably the most important tome in the history of steel guitar, come to fruition. knowing that you had Buddy's blessing to see it through and that we'll be reading his own words and memoirs is the icing on the cake. congratulations and thank you, Steve!

Gibson Hartwell

Missoula, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 12:54 pm    

This is really fantastic news! I'm so grateful that Buddy granted permission to move this project forward. Congratulations on that writing degree, it's one of those skills you can use forever. Hope you find an editor that'll help your writing bloom. Cheers!

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 1:02 pm    

Thank you for this update, Steve. Your efforts, along with your humility and dedication in this project are sincerely appreciated. I'm surely looking forward to the finished work as are many folks. I have no doubt that Buddy would be pleased.

Chris "Tiny" Olson

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 1:14 pm    

This is great news Fish.

And putting that recently earned college degree to work while you're at it! Cool

Dennis Lee

Forest Grove, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 5:20 pm     Be

This is a biography that I will be waiting to read. I know it will be a best seller in the psg community....no small community at that!

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 5:47 pm    

Anxious to read it and support the funding efforts if needed.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin