The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Evans SE200 amps
Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2019 10:09 pm    

I have bought 3 SE200's from other SGF friends over the past 2 years. All 3 have some differences, I do like them all and they work great. One has caused me a lot of trouble this month with volume losing strength and coming back after a while. After a lot of switching cables out, plugging in and unplugging pedals etc, using the headphones and so on the problem persisted. I read notes on here from Brad Sarno and others where to plug in a black box and other pedals in the chain. I decided to put my delay pedal in the fx's send return. I realized that a patch cord had been plugged into the the send return by a previous owner. I discovered that I have no sound unless the patch cord is plugged in. Also found that the patch chord and jacks were not making good contact. They need cleaning. After plugging and unglugging them a few times to make better contact I have sound. What has been changed to need a patch cord plugged in to have sound on this SE200 while my other 2 do not need this? Visually I don't see where there has been any alterations or speaker changes, all looks clean and neat. Right now I am not certain if I fixed the problem with the volume. For home and church I can set the master volume to 3 1/2 and it is plenty loud, when the volume decides to diminish, I can still hear it but at a much reduced volume. After waiting a little while it will come back. sometimes I can turn it off, wait, then turn it back on and it will be okay. The master volume pot is not scratchy. After I plugged and unplugged the patch cord several times, and then replaced it with 2 other cords and the delay pedal, it has been okay. For how long that will last I am unsure.
So.....why must a cord be plugged into fxs send return to have any volume at all? Might the dirty contacts on
the patch cord and/or the plugins contribute to normal/low volume changes as well?
Any ideas and input much appreciated.
Dick
Smile Smile Smile

Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2019 12:32 pm     Same problem

I too, am having the same problem with a RE-150. I talked to Scott Buffington at Evans and he told me the same as you, plug in ,plug out a few times or put a patch cable in the effects loop. But, it hasn't worked for me. My volume does the same as your's. I don't have an answer, just wanted to let you know, you are not alone with this problem.

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2019 1:12 pm     evans

Darn...not what a guy needs to have happen when you have an audience listening to you.
What has me troubled is I have 2 others, one does not have the fxs loop nor a headphone jack dang it all anyway. The other does have the effects loop but I don't need a patch cord in it to have sound.
This one I am having trouble with will not have sound unless a patch cord or pedal is plugged in the fxs loop. Why I wonder?
Thanks for chiming in Eddie, lots of readers so far, you are the first with any input.

Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2019 1:31 pm     Se-200

Dick, this is ironic but, I have (2) SE-200's and they both work great. If you get your problem solved, please let me know how you resolved this issue. Thanks in advance!

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2019 2:29 pm     evans

Eddie, after I posted, I have been playing through the amp, and it hasn't acted up again.....yet. The culprit may indeed have been dirty jacks and recepticles. I will use some good electronic spray, deoxit or something on them and clean them good.
I hope yours will ultimately be due to dirty contacts in the chain someplace.
I hope we get some good answers on here.

While I was at it today, I had robbed my power conditioner and used it at church, so I bought another one to plug this stuff into, we have an old house with some wiring that still is not grounded.
Smile Smile
Dick

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2019 8:04 am     Se200

Hi Eddie.
So far my volume fluctuation problem has not returned.
Have you tried electronic cleaner on your fxs send return jacks to see if it helps?

I figured by now someone on here would have some answers from experience for us.

I still want to know why a patch cord is necessary to plug into the send/return jacks to have volume, seems like a fix that works but doesn't get to the real problem whatever that may be.

My other SE200 that has an fxs loop does not require this patch.

I guess I will email to the Evans site and see if I get any help and answers.
Smile Smile
Dick

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2019 8:17 am     Se200

Hi Eddie, did you have any luck? Mine started losing volume again, but as soon as I unplug and plug in the patch cord a few times it is good again.

Still weird why we must have a patch cord, we must be the only two players with this problem.
I sure thought someone would have an answer for us.
Dick