The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Did I Get a Bad Batch of Live Steel Strings?
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 6:06 am    

Don't get me wrong....I love these strings and everything about their company, but this is driving me nuts.
I recently changed a set of Live Steel strings on my Mullen Discovery because it was time, as the last set had been on there for many gigs. Maybe 8 or months.I have never broken a string on this Mullen.
About a week into this new set, I pop the third string....no problem. (When I order, I always get a dozen 12's. I like 12's on my third string)
The first three attempts, they popped once brought up to pitch as soon as I touched the pedal. They are popping at the tuner post, so I have felt and visually inspected the post with a magnifying glass and light, and it looks pristine. I have gone through 6 or 7 12's with no success. I finally got one to hold, and I played it for a couple of hours last night.
The first time it popped was at the end of a show, and I had to finish without that string, because it wouldn't come up to pitch. The next three times was at rehearsal and I had to abort and drag out my Emmons.

I have four gigs coming up this week and I'm afraid to use the Mullen.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 6:31 am    

If there are no burs anywhere on the guitar to cut the strings. Then you got a bad batch of 12's. It happens from time to time with all strings brands. I would just buy or borrow another brand of 12 from a friend or local music store and not worry over it.

b.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 6:46 am    

Is it breaking right at the post or between the post and the keyhead? If it's breaking right at the hole in the post, you could have a burr or groove that you can't see. Particularly if they're all breaking at the same place.

Pull it off the guitar and gently touch up the area around the hole with some abrasive or a light filing.

It's pretty easy to swap the tuner with another one from that side, say maybe #2 to see if that helps.

If it's breaking further toward the pickups, it probably is a case of bad strings. Won't hurt to sub out for another brand per Bobby's suggestion.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 7:10 am    

The very first thing that I would check is to make sure the string is not overlapped on the tuner.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 8:51 am    

I would check the size of the string, and confirm that they are actually .012 strings. You need a micrometer. Or maybe you can just compare the strings to your .013 strings and see if they are the same.

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 9:26 am     String Age

I had 4 .11s Live Steel strings pop on me back to back at a show some time ago..Upon close examination I noticed small rust spots on the strings. Age and humidity being likely candidates. The next batch Sid sent was in a zip lock bag. I now keep all my new strings in zip locks with those little moisturizer absorption things in them. no more issues.
Some manufacturers send strings in sealed pouches which seems like a good idea. Also, I wonder if string mfgs could put a date on their strings?

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 10:39 am    

Bill Moore wrote:
I would check the size of the string, and confirm that they are actually .012 strings. You need a micrometer. Or maybe you can just compare the strings to your .013 strings and see if they are the same.

I've never heard of a manufacturer botch a fundamental function of their existence,,,,so I'm not buying that one

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 10:41 am    

I had the same problem as you but with Jagwires which I had used for years with great success until Jagwires were hard to get. In frustration I switched to Livesteels and still only get one week out of the third.

The Jags and Livesteels were breaking between the changer and Pup which I had never experienced before.

I've been told there are only a few manufactures who make these strings and market them under various names. My thought is that something in the manufacturing process has changed as it's strange that this is happening from one brand to another.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 10:42 am    

Greg Lambert wrote:
The very first thing that I would check is to make sure the string is not overlapped on the tuner.

I tried the crossover method and straight winding method, just to see...but they both broke.
Plus I was real careful not to overlap while doing the straight winding method.

good response though...Smile

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 11:09 am    

Quote:
It's pretty easy to swap the tuner with another one from that side, say maybe #2 to see if that helps.

actually I like this idea.
Would it be better to swap with a string that is larger than the 3rd string....say like the 5th string?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 11:44 am    

I'd have to check with the Mullen folks to be sure, but I think all the tuners on the treble side have the same size holes. I can't see any advantage to that anyway.

FWIW, I had this same issue on one of my Mullen guitars some years back, prolly coincidental, but I just got tired of chasing the problem and decided to just swap out the tuner. I don't recall which one I swapped with, but it was one off the same side of the keyhead.

Still, inspect the tuner posts and touch up the edges of the holes.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 11:45 am    

Chris , I caught a lot of flack over the same thing a while back. Third string in a set of Live Steel Stings broke after playing only a couple of times. HOWEVER!!! , I've had this happen with other brands as well. I don't think it has anything to do with brand A vs brand B. Occasionally the manufacturer has a bad run.
I use a different brand. Mainly due to the cost. I order online and normally buy packages of twelve of the .11 gauge. Recently when I got a bad run they replaced all of them.
I wouldn't start changing tuners or anything. Just get new strings.

Ron
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 12:13 pm    

Chris Schlotzhauer wrote:
Bill Moore wrote:

I've never heard of a manufacturer botch a fundamental function of their existence,,,,so I'm not buying that one

I get your point. But I wouldn't bet the farm on it. You may be trying to pull a .014 to G#. Mistakes do happen. If you can't see or feel a bur on the tuner. I wouldn't get into that. But it's your time. From reading this. Seems there have been several that have had problems with the 3rd. breaking.

b.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 12:25 pm    

It takes a 10mm wrench and just a few minutes to swap out a Grover tuner. Certainly less time than putting on a half dozen strings. This might tell you something...might not, sure won't hurt anything though. See if the breakage stops or follows the tuner or whatever. Just one more way to help narrow down the possibilities and locate the issue.

It could definitely be any of the things mentioned. I've seen strings in the wrong pkg. before. I've had a whole batch of bad strings as well. Sometimes you just have to try something. Good luck with the fix, whatever it is.

mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 1:57 pm    

I had one batch of Live Steels a while back with this problem. Every single .012 broke at the ball end before it reached pitch.... and this was on a Williams changer, which are pretty string friendly. Never happened before, and never happened since. I'd try another brand first, to see if it's the string or something else.

Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 2:06 pm    

The last three batches I purchased had bad third strings. (I have more than one guitar and they break on them all.) I'm switching brands.

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 2:13 pm    

That's why I stopped buying them.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 4:30 pm    

I also had a batch of LS .012s (G#)that all broke at the ball...I photoed all of them and reported it to Butch at BJS.. He sent my some more that also broke. Next I got a smokin email from Sid telling me I didn't know how to restring a steel and .012s weren't made for G#..I really like these LS, after using Cobras for 20 years...and...012 on 3 for 30 years.all on Excels guitars....the LS last a lot longer for me....Larry Whoa!

mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 5:24 pm    

I was also told that I didn't know how to string a steel, and that a .012 was inappropriate for a G#.... I have been doing this for nearly 40 years, and I do play professionally. So that bit of "customer service" wasn't particularly welcome. I do still use LS , but also others depending on the guitar.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 6:35 pm    

Read this :
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=307274&highlight=

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=307311&highlight=
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Last edited by Ronald Sikes on 28 Sep 2017 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 2:32 am    

I tried the LS one time. bought them to support the forum. They were different gauges than I had been using but I tried them anyway. They were SS but sounded like nickel. I didn't keep them on the guitar and returned to my George L's (Nashville gauges).

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 3:42 am    

While I do like the strings I had issues with both .011s & .012s on my keyless Sierra with 25" scale. They all broke at the tuner. After meticulously deburring and cleaning the tuners still no luck. On the other hand a D'Addario .012 from my local music store worked every time. On my Performance guitar with conventional tuners I have no issues with breakage.

Arty Passes

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 3:16 pm    

Been using them for several years now with no problems. Had that happen a few years back with Cobra Coils. When they wouldn't acknowledge any potential responsibility or make it right, I switched to Jagwires until they became hard to get. Have had great luck with LS so far, (I use .011s on the 3rd) but I just ordered a batch, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hope I don't have to switch again - they are great strings!

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 5:47 pm    

Looks to me like you all need to switch to Ernie Ball strings.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2017 12:45 pm    

Larry Behm wrote:
Looks to me like you all need to switch to Ernie Ball strings.

Just to follow up....I didn't swap tuners as recommended. I wanted to try another brand first, so I went to Guitar Center and bought Ernie Ball 12's.
I put one on...brought it to pitch...then played four gigs with zero problems.

So I conclude...bad batch of strings