The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Paul Franklin Method
DG Whitley

Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 3:26 pm    

Last email I received was on 11/01/17, saying they were "putting the finishing touches" on the site. I just assume that means "really soon", but I digress.

Brian Gattis ask the monthly subscription question back on October 24, almost 13 days ago without a response, one would suppose it is not coming. I agree with Richard that nothing we say is going to sway the PF group one way or the other, so I will no longer comment on the same.

So for those who can afford all that cash up front, you have my best wishes always. For the rest of us, Jeff Newman's material is as relevant now as the day he made it, just saying.

Time to go back and view some stuff I might have missed.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 1:16 pm    

Has anyone hear anything further? The silence is deafening. Maybe I made them mad at me?

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 2:08 pm    

This project is amazingly complex and no doubt is taking perhaps more time than the team expected to nail things down. Paul has to write, or at least outline, the content. Then there are all the steps of producing numerous videos. Then the website needs to be built and tested. The e-commerce part of it has to be thoroughly tested.

The scope of the project is mind-boggling, when you think it through.

Patience, folks! Knowing that a true master is hard at work getting set up to share knowledge with the steel community with modern technology is really great news! I lament that Buddy Emmons never got this deep into it, but what he did put out is stellar.

Don't forget: the work still must be done by YOU. There's no magic wand or formula, but Paul's perspective, knowledge and shortcuts to mastery will sure help you improve your playing, starting with your understanding of key concepts.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 6:22 am    

John, with all due respect, the last information I was privileged to see, showed a menu of topics and sub-topics all neatly lined up and seemingly ready to go. My understanding was that they were testing across platforms and looking for any possible bugs in the way it had been setup. I think also possibly testing their payment procedures and such.

My belief is that the site is basically ready, other than some of the things I mentioned above. I also think the controversy over the cost and whether or not there would be a subscription plan may be a factor in the delay.

But the silence continues to concern me, especially now 16 days out since Brian Gattis asked the question a number of us are concerned about.

But as Richard Sinker correctly pointed out, they're going to do whatever they want to do and none of our complaining is going to sway them one way or the other. Just taking note that something that was meant to be good is taking on a controversy of its own.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 10:46 am    

Erased my post. It was dumb. Oh Well

Last edited by Fred Treece on 9 Nov 2017 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Joe Ribaudo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 8:15 pm    

DG Whitley wrote:
My understanding was that they were testing across platforms and looking for any possible bugs in the way it had been setup.

Good luck with that! I do tech support for a major business machine vendor site and it seems like every other week or so one internet browser or another pushes out a patch or upgrade that interferes with our dealer site functionality. So much for "the convenience and ease of internet commerce."

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 9:59 pm    

C6 Teaser:

https://modernmusicmasters.wistia.com/medias/ar92jwbf7x

Franklin

Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 9:45 am    

Thanks John for trying to help here....You are right about how complex this undertaking is....It requires a team of 4 people to stay on top of everything....Two of my team mates are accomplished musicians.

.....We were going to launch a few weeks back with the E9th and after we launched I was going to edit along with the team the C6th content and add it weeks later. Your requests changed the roll out date.

Here's the reality of this university and how it works....It is interactive because you can contact us with a request as has been said by the PFM team..........This is what happened....Within days across all media we started receiving hundreds of requests for content....The one thing I did not anticipate was the additional and might I add rabid appetite for instruction on the C6th and E9th tunings. Immediate attention to those C6th requests had to be served if we want this site to be viewed as it is: a complete learning course for its two most popular tunings.

I have known all along that players need a point A -Z approach to the C6th tuning which is none genre specific....I have a simplistic method and shortcut approach for teaching a player on both tunings from the basics all the way to the most complex styles of music..... ....Again let me emphasize my intent was to wait until the E9th was launched.... All of your C6th requests halted my initial plan.....

I am not and neither are my teammates into releasing mediocrity whether its playing or teaching so the launch is taking some extra time....So we have been editing and are almost finished with another ten videos...Now when we launch there will be 100 videos...And many more videos to follow......

This is not a here's how I do it course, and hope it works for you.... I heard Jeff Newman say this and its true here....."I don't hand a player an onion, I peal all the layers until I have nothing left to teach".. And let me follow that with this promise..... if I don't know the something you seek, I will tell you, and then advise you towards someone who might help......

About the enrollment plan....

When I taught with Jeff at his college in the 80's, it was for 8 hours a day for 5 days at a cost of 375.00 and that class had a definite end after which I was done teaching you...Also it was a college styled class so you could not enroll a day at a time....In todays dollars that is 1200.00....At PFM we have done our budgets and worked out a fair price for a years college tuition is available to you 24/7...

....I want to see the steel community grow....I think a steel oriented university is what the instrument needs to progress its numbers around the world.

For me the best time to learn is always when I am inspired to learn...And so when that moment hits any of my enrolled I am there at the PFM with tons of valuable lessons in whichever direction you so choose.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 10:14 am    

Thank you Paul, and I appreciate all that you have done. I know this was a labor of love and the effort extended is deeply appreciated.

I understand you have a budget and financial model you have to follow. But that lets me out and probably a number more. But it is what it is, and I wish you nothing but success.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 10:34 am    

Will there be tablatures provided with the lessons ?

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 10:55 am    

Hi guys -

John from Modern Music Masters, here.

Paul asked that we post links to all of the sample content we have shared with those of you who have subscribed for e-mail updates, so here you go. Enjoy!

Two Clips on Foundations, Licks, Improv

Modern Steel clip

The C6 Neck clip

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 11:14 am    

Let it hereby be known that this forum and other social media are definitely being monitored by the Paul Franklin team. I imagine they care about what we think and have to say far more than what has been given credit to them. They are not just doing whatever they want to get a product out. Hats off to them.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 11:29 am    

Well Fred, I graciously conceded that there would not be a subscription program, and wished Paul and crew success and you throw me under the bus. Geez...

I have nothing more to say here.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 1:02 pm    

John Spaulding wrote:
Hi guys -

Paul asked that we post links to all of the sample content we have shared with those of you who have subscribed for e-mail updates, so here you go. Enjoy!

Modern Steel clip

The C6 Neck clip

Does anyone know what is needed to get these videos to play in Chrome 64 bit on Windows 10 64 bit? I have turned off Adblock on both modernmusicmasters.com and wistia.com. I can see the static window but nothing happens when I click Play.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 2:36 pm    

Hi Jim-

Sorry for the hassle. Did you refresh your browser after turning AdBlock off? You may have to clear your browser cache as well.

Here are the direct links to the preview highlight video clips on Wistia:

C6 Highlights

Pentatonic Lick and Scale Notes as Intervals

Pick Blocking and The Blues

Modern Steel

John

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 3:16 pm    

DG Whitley wrote:
Well Fred, I graciously conceded that there would not be a subscription program, and wished Paul and crew success and you throw me under the bus. Geez...

I have nothing more to say here.

DG! I meant no harm!

In fact, I was trying to cover my own dirty tracks because I posted something that showed nothing but my own ignorance and did not have anything you posted in mind at all. Seriously, apologies.

If it means anything to you, the program will be out of my price range for the time being too. And I really wish it weren't and wish there was a no-contract monthly plan and wish there was a book/DVD, and if wishes were horses...

The program will be out there soon and Paul did not have to do it. He is doing it because he loves the instrument and cares about the people who play it enough to pass along all he has learned.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 3:55 pm    

Fred, my bad, no apology needed. This time, as in times past, the written word fails to be interpreted as it was intended. The apology is mine sir.

I too, wish there were other options. I can do ok on my SS, but I have to choose my battles, so to speak. Right now, as much as I would love to throw my hat in, I cannot. Best wishes to those who can. You have a dream coming true.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 7:47 am     Fingering

I requested Pauls' fingering be included in the tab like a lot of tab was in the old days. I still struggle with picking patterns, when to cross over, when to use the same pick twice in a row, etc.

bob

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 10:36 am    

John Sluszny wrote:
Will there be tablatures provided with the lessons ?

Once again,same question.Thanks !

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 10:49 am    

Just found this by "Franklin" (very first post of this subject)
"There are also jam tracks, PDF transcriptions and TABs"
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 1:10 pm    

John Spaulding wrote:
Hi Jim-

Sorry for the hassle. Did you refresh your browser after turning AdBlock off? You may have to clear your browser cache as well.

Here are the direct links to the preview highlight video clips on Wistia:

C6 Highlights

Pentatonic Lick and Scale Notes as Intervals

Pick Blocking and The Blues

Modern Steel

John

Thanks, yes I tried all of that. I filed a problem report with Wistia but haven't heard back yet. They do play fine in Microsoft Edge, but I much prefer Chrome.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 12:04 pm    

Jim Smith wrote:
John Spaulding wrote:
Hi guys -

Modern Steel clip

The C6 Neck clip

Does anyone know what is needed to get these videos to play in Chrome 64 bit on Windows 10 64 bit? I have turned off Adblock on both modernmusicmasters.com and wistia.com. I can see the static window but nothing happens when I click Play.

I finally figured out my "problem". One of my Chrome extensions is "Disable HTML5 Autoplay". It did get rid of those annoying videos that play when you open a page, but also prevented these and a few other formats from playing at all.

When I start seeing autoplay videos again, I will see if there is an option to prevent only those.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 12:14 pm    

All links work fine in Mac's Safari browser v.11.01.

I'd like to suggest Paul discuss blocking on ascending lines across strings.

Nice to learn that I'm already using fingertip blocking on descending lines as Paul demonstrates! And have been for many years. Very Happy

Franklin

Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 2:52 pm    

John
Its already on the site. All of the preview samplings are short excerpts from the complete lesson.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 7:02 pm     Franklin University

Hey Paul,

I'm looking forward to the launch of Franklin University! I believe the cost is reasonable considering the following:

1. You don't have to leave home for lessons, saving time to learn more material.
2. No need to break down guitar to go to a live lesson
3. Don't have to spend money on gas to get to a lesson
4. It's like learning to paint from Michaelangelo or Thomas Kincaid.
5. You can replay the lessons as many times as you need to in order to learn the material.
6. You access any lesson anytime you want.
7. Paul is graciously taking valuable input from the field on the topics of importance to them.
8. You can learn to play correctly without getting into bad habits...or how to break bad habits already learned.
9. Great camera shots.
10. The cost fosters a renewed commitment to learn and continuously improve.
11. Paul can help take you to the next level and/or get out of the playing rut or plateau you might find yourself in at the moment...like I am right now.

I think the price is reasonable considering a local pro wanted $40 an hour for one-on-one lessons--or about $500 per year (one lesson a month).

Paul: Here's a suggestion for your new project. It would be great to have people send in some videos demonstrating what they learned from the material and how they improved with your expert guidance. Doug Seven has (or had) something like this on his guitar instructional courses. That might be an additional source of motivation for some people.

At any rate, thank you for doing this. I'm looking forward to learning from one of the best musicians to ever play the steel guitar. Count me in!

Thanks,

Don

Last edited by Don Mogle on 13 Nov 2017 5:27 am; edited 2 times in total