The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Paul Franklin Method
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 2:38 am    

I like what Don said above, and we should remind ourselves that what Paul is doing is teaching, these are not tracks with tabs programs. We may find that we may only study one or two lessons over the course of an entire year, but if it changes our entire direction and approach then the value can't be measured. IF we are trying to study each and every program lesson then we perhaps may fall short.

Good stuff Paul.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 9:02 am    

Paul,

Will we really be able to make requests for certain style licks or runs, too?

Credit Card ready when you are Smile

thx

bob

Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 9:47 am    

The coursework looks absolutely fantastic. Smile

I'd be among the first to sign up but I simply don't have that chunk of change lying around. This is a lot of money to me. It's great that plenty of guys can justify the cost to themselves but there will be many, many more players who don't want to admit publically that this is way too expensive for them. I honestly think there would be ten times the takeup at half the price, but what do I know?

Also I think we should be careful about comparing streaming video courses to one-to-one lessons with a good teacher. There are many great steel guitar teachers out there who will provide invaluable personal critique, feedback, encouragement and inspiration. With no disrespect to Paul I think the pricing and some of the commentary here implies a comparable value. Having benefitted myself from real time lessons over Skype as well as in person, I can't agree. Let's not forget the difference interaction with a personal teacher can make (not to mention the hours they put in every time).

Lastly I do think it's a shame that more flexible payment schemes can't be worked out. What about discounts for young players or the elderly? Is there a way that players could club together and share a restricted access licence? A lesson-a-week subscription service? An annual win-a-sub lottery? Perhaps these ideas are too difficult to police, I don't know.

I'm sure the upfront costs are large and need to be quickly recovered but in the digital age it seems a shame this has to be such an exclusive product, especially for such an increasingly niche instrument with a very considerable initial investment for beginners.

Just some thoughts. All the best,
Jonathan

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 2:30 pm    

I wanted to share that I currently attend a public Texas University with some of the absolute lowest tuition rates in the state.

After fees, a 3 credit hour course here is about $1050 for one semester. That would be $2100 plus books for a year, not including the summertime.

This is the price for teachers that are wonderful, but people I wouldn't profess to be world-class (although many of them are genuinely great people). Some of them know the material very well, but aren't very effective at teaching the material. No matter the quality of teaching, the cost of learning is the same. Many of the courses are available online with limited student-teacher interaction, but the price is still the same.

I've reviewed the format for Mr. Franklin's new class, and it appears to be very comparable to an online university course. It isn't just videos posted on a website. The only aspect it doesn't have are tests and quizzes.

However, a big difference between this course and an online course held by a professor I've never heard of before is the assurance that the teaching is well-organized and top-notch. World-class university professors work at places much more expensive than I would ever care to look at.

This course is being offered by a world-renowned player at less than 1/4 the cost of a budget university. It's understandable that many can't pay the amount upfront, but it might be worth saving up for.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 3:21 pm    

Dave Stroud wrote:
I wanted to share that I currently attend a public Texas University with some of the absolute lowest tuition rates in the state.

After fees, a 3 credit hour course here is about $1050 for one semester. That would be $2100 plus books for a year, not including the summertime.

This is the price for teachers that are wonderful, but people I wouldn't profess to be world-class (although many of them are genuinely great people). Some of them know the material very well, but aren't very effective at teaching the material. No matter the quality of teaching, the cost of learning is the same. Many of the courses are available online with limited student-teacher interaction, but the price is still the same.

I've reviewed the format for Mr. Franklin's new class, and it appears to be very comparable to an online university course. It isn't just videos posted on a website. The only aspect it doesn't have are tests and quizzes.

However, a big difference between this course and an online course held by a professor I've never heard of before is the assurance that the teaching is well-organized and top-notch. World-class university professors work at places much more expensive than I would ever care to look at.

This course is being offered by a world-renowned player at less than 1/4 the cost of a budget university. It's understandable that many can't pay the amount upfront, but it might be worth saving up for.

Yep,

The old saying "If you want it bad enough".......

bob

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 3:24 pm    

Dave, not disputing anything you say, but saving on my income for that will be a long term investment. I stand to be corrected, but I believe there was something about initially being $475, and then an increase to $575 next year?

Again, not debating the cost or value of the program, just the upfront payment. Also Dave, if I may point out, most students are attending through financing programs, for the most part, no upfront money.

I'm still arguing the point that a one year contract @ $40/month covers the initial cost, just as a next year renewal @ $50/month covers the increase. There would be a lot more people that would be able to do that than the upfront money.

I suppose we could try a "Go Fund Me" or something like that but I doubt the success of that happening.

Anyway, just forget whatever I've said. I'm going to take a long, long hiatus from this Forum. I just don't want to hear the ravings about new things the people who can afford this learn and brag about.

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 4:04 pm    

I don't mean to drive you off, DG! You argue a valid point that a subscription would help many diffuse the upfront costs, making the course available to them.

Last edited by Dave Stroud on 13 Nov 2017 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 4:16 pm    

No Dave, not you, just letting off a little frustration.

Maybe I'll be back next year around this time, maybe not. I'm just tired of pressing my case with no support from the rest of the Forum. Nothing is going to gain a foothold without support. Apparently everyone but me can afford to do this. If that is the case, so be it.

So those of you who can, please enjoy it with my best wishes. See you down the road, maybe.

My last post on this.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 7:36 pm    

Question.....

If they made it $475 per year OR $44 per month, would that be a workable option for those of you who feel they can't afford a big payment upfront?

If so.....

$44 per month (likely less) would be what it would cost if you put $475 on a credit card and paid it off over a year. That's at 18% interest. You can probably do better.

So.....there are options.

As has been said, IF you really want it, you'll make it work. If not, you'll find an excuse to not do it.

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 8:31 pm    

If the first month was interest-free, and you paid $45/month, the total interest accumulated over the entire year would be under $37! That's not too bad of a price to pay for financing.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 11:38 pm    

Y’all are assuming everyone has a credit card. I don’t.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 12:21 am    

DG Whitley wrote:
Y’all are assuming everyone has a credit card. I don’t.

Then it’s all probably a moot point, anyway. There’s no way they, or any modern internet education program, would let anyone finance it without a credit card on file. Fairly unlikely they would take ANY payment other than a credit card, either..........except maybe PayPal.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 2:01 am    

I have debit, not credit. Adobe seems to not have a problem with that, or any other company I do business with.

Credit cards can be cancelled with a claim of lost or stolen. Every method of payment has drawbacks, just saying.

But it matters not, PF and associates have made the call. Hope you enjoy your journey through the course.

Don Walworth

Gilmer, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 5:54 am     Where there's a will, there's a way

Definition:

"If you want something badly enough, you can find the means to get it."

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 6:13 am    

Then I don’t want it, not the way it is now. Satisfied?

Don, just go ahead and enjoy your journey through the course, don't be worried about me.

Gibson Hartwell

Missoula, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 6:43 am    

I would be interested in techniques, or even simple advice on how to avoid injury during periods of intense practicing/playing. Thanks! Very excited about the course.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 10:04 am    

Gibson Hartwell wrote:
I would be interested in techniques, or even simple advice on how to avoid injury during periods of intense practicing/playing. Thanks! Very excited about the course.

I'm sure proper basic technique will be covered in The Method. That is the starting point for practicing correctly.

Beyond that --- Take a break every 15 minutes, remember to breath and drink water, and don't repeat something to the point of pain or cramping. No pain = No gain ....does not apply! I learned that concept the hard way.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 7:54 am    

Late to the party - is this a course that continually builds on previous lessons, or is it a course that you can pick and choose which subjects you would like to explore at any given time? If you can pick your own path thru the material, has an "a la carte" purchase option been considered? Maybe even as a course that must be followed, could it be an option to buy the first lesson and work it, buy another one when the time is right?

As a comprehensive course that continually builds upon previous lessons, I can certainly understand the value of the project and the need for a tuition type of payment. And I'd never say that it's not a good investment, but as DG says, many of us may not be able to swing it. I'm one of those folks. But then again, there are innumerable things I cannot afford, so it is what it is. I imagine Paul's (and all involved in making it happen) work on this is worth every cent.

Gary Glisson

munford, tn 38058
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 3:08 pm    

where did you find the price of the paul franklin modern music course? I haven't seen it yet

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 3:34 pm    

See John Spaulding post on page 2 of this thread.

Gary Glisson

munford, tn 38058
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 7:18 pm     franklin methord

thanks DG
I didn't see that post

gary
its still a great course and my understanding is once you've paid for each 12 month section on the course and you download it to your computer you have that section for as long as you want and you can go back at any time and go over the material for me I think that's a great deal!! I mean where else are you goning to get the best player in the world one on one!!

Gary Glisson

munford, tn 38058
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 7:25 pm    

and just to let people know how excited I am about the course I went out and bought a brand new computer with a 32'' monitor screen that will only be used for the paul franklin music methord
i'am ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 7:42 am    

I would have thought someone would have posted this by now. From an email I received:

Our thanks to all of you who have been patiently waiting for an update while we've been continuing to make some great enhancements to the Paul Franklin Method.

We are excited to let you know that we're now far enough along to officially announce:

- The Launch date for the full The Paul Franklin Method will be January 1, 2018 - at an introductory price of $475, which is $100 off the regular course price of $575. One full year of site access is included.

- We're also making the Course available in a 3-payment enrollment option for an introductory price of $185/mo for 3 months, which also includes one year of site access.
- Starting on December 10th, we'll be offering you the ability to enroll in a FREE "test drive" of the Course experience. The Test Drive will contain a sample selection of videos chosen by Paul to showcase the content, features and functions of the Lessons.

Keep watching your inbox for further updates and info on how to enroll in the free Test Drive Course!

Happy Holidays,

The Paul Franklin Method Team

Y'all have fun....

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 9:48 am    

My reply on a FB Steel Page:
"I'll respond, getting ready for a gig and loafing around. I went to Jeff Newmans' schools in the late 70'a and early 80's. Winnie's book was about the only thing for steel and Jeff's school was just a great opportunity to go to Nashville and see and hear the likes of Buddy, Lloyd and young Paul. Today there is so much instructional material available to a steel guitarist you'd never get thru it all in a two lifetimes. Today's instant world of gratification won't do any good if you expect to get good at anything...it takes time perseverance, passion and natural ability has a lot to do with it as well. Sort of like people who buy exercise equipment because it makes em feel good until they figure out they actually have to use it to get results. Paul Franklin is one of the best steel guitarist that's ever lived. this opportunity to have access to his teaching material and open the door to the lifetime of experience and natural ability he offers for $495 is really a bargain..or way too expensive. You have to be honest with yourself, like exercise equipment...you have to use it to get results. To make music with the steel guitar however is priceless and sometimes is never accomplished...

Webb Kline

Bloomsburg, PA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2017 2:57 pm     Does it have to begin Jan 1?

I'm not clear about something. It says the course begins Jan 1. Does that mean we have to be ready to roll then, or can we sign up when we are ready to do it and it is good for a year from that point?