Author Topic:  The Paul Franklin Method
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2017 12:55 pm    

Chomping at the bit!🤠

Jeff Bollettino

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 9:22 am    

I got the Official Launch email today. I have 2 questions for Paul or persons representing the product. The subscription covers 1 year and there are 100 videos - is it realistic to go through 2 per week, or asked another way, why 1 year? Also, does Paul teach how to practice the material, not just what to practice? I'm looking for ways to know when I've practiced something enough to move on to the next lesson.

thanks

Jeff

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 9:59 am    

Looks like this will be a well organized wonderful resource.

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 10:46 am     Franklin

Franklin course hit the market today. Anybody bought it yet? How does it look?

Franklin

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 12:13 pm    

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for asking....Great questions!

Why a year?
I look at the PFM as a campus for pedal steel guitar.....Because we all learn at different levels of comprehension I knew there would be students at every level of accomplishment with you on the campus... All are seeking to better themselves..

Personally, some topics in the rollout I learned immediately. Others, I had to practice really hard for months if not years before I sounded like I had those under control. I still practice on this rollout content and I am 54 years into playing. We just finished shooting about 14 videos.

To answer your question about when to move on? I heard this analogy...Learning to master music on an instrument is like building a lean muscular body.....
I would have to excercise with direction so my whole body gets worked on simultaneously for a balanced look. For me it is mandatory to take a rake to my eating habits to accomplish losing weight and building muscle...And that can take time for adjusting...

Here's a tip for all....

If I practice too hard at one thing and it doesn't come easy...I practice that difficulty for no more than 5 minutes and move on to practicing something else...Now during that same practice session before I end my practice I go back for a few minutes to retry the difficulty issue....And whatever I practice, no matter if it seems I am getting nowhere, I don't beat myself up when I walk away....From my experiences everything I attempt to learn using this method of practice will eventually happen..The key is to approach learning music and the craft of playing steel with focused practice.

The PFM course is designed to be a complete comprehensive and multi layered method... I really want to help guide steel players into becoming better musicians towards any musical direction.....I am teaching the exact methods I practice to increase my proficiency in the craft of playing a steel guitar while learning how music is put together. I am basically showing students my pedal steel and musical tool box...Its very important to me that I show them how to use those tools so they can sound exactly like themselves so they will eventually be able to teach themselves towards their goals.

Happy New Year!
Paul Franklin

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 2:24 pm    

I got the PFM today and have spent a few very enjoyable hours browsing all around it. I have a big smile on my face. Lots of good advice here and great tips. The videos are very good quality and the subjects are concise and to the point. Paul comes off as very friendly and genuine Smile There seems to be a wealth of knowledge here with much more to come. Going to take a while to get through it all and, that makes me happy. yep...we are going to have to put in some azz time in our steel seats do the work! lol..which truth be told is what many of us need!Wink
Thanks to you Paul and you team for all the hard work that went into this.

Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 4:49 am    

I have to be realistic and except the fact that due to my schedule I'm not going to be able to devote the amount of time over the course of a year to cover all the material in the lesson plans and get everything out of it that I'd like to.

My question is: Once the one year subscription has been reached how much will it cost (monthly) to maintain access to the website?

To be perfectly honest that is my only concern about signing up. The more time you have to commit to it the more you will get out of it over the one year period. Being the slow learner that I am my concern is not being able to get my money's worth with limited practice time.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 5:27 am    

how long are the lessons? Are examples or suggestions given for using the particular lessons,,i.e. where and how to use the lick or riff,,place where it would be acceptable or most effective,,,etc

Terry Reece

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 11:05 am     Franklin

I started this am. The method and presentation brought some things together that I have worked on this past first year, and a light bulb went off. For me so far, I have a good return on my investment for my own enjoyment and knowledge. I do play in a country band (guitar) ..I may yet get to my goal of filling in on the Steel without making a complete ass out of myself.

I think you will find the course worthwhile. A very professional presentation.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 2:05 pm    

It starts out very basic, for total beginners. I was guilty of "skimmimg" way ahaed to the C6 pockets and got busted, LOL.

Not sure if Paul wants constructive criticism here or direct contact so let me know? Small critique is that when he covers pedals/knees, he never mentions that some of you might have pedals 1 and 3 reversed. I'm fine, of course but a newbie with a Day setup might wonder Smile

Also, hoping we can have direct input and requests as the year goes on.

bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZlAdlrRYj0

http://www.reverbnation.com/bobsnelgrove

1978 Crawford Emmons P/P
1976 Tommy White P/P
1986 Franklin D-10

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 2:27 pm    

Hi Bob-

In the video entitled " History of the Standard E9th Floor Pedals", Paul covers exactly that, telling the story of how Buddy called Jimmy about splitting the pedals and Jimmy ending up using 2&3 as opposed to Buddy's 1&2.

The whole video is worth watching, but you can get the gist of it from 1:25 onward.

Thanks,

John

The Paul Franklin Method Team

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 3:59 pm    

John Spaulding wrote:
Hi Bob-

In the video entitled " History of the Standard E9th Floor Pedals", Paul covers exactly that, telling the story of how Buddy called Jimmy about splitting the pedals and Jimmy ending up using 2&3 as opposed to Buddy's 1&2.

The whole video is worth watching, but you can get the gist of it from 1:25 onward.

Thanks,

John

Thanks and Sorry! No more skimming around for me Smile

bob

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 4:15 pm    

Ha! Understood...it's just too tempting not to take a peek!

We expect lots of folks will binge-watch the whole thing, then settle in to studying wherever they feel the need to improve. We believe all of the videos have something of value for players at any level, whether an idea or concept is confirmed or a new insight is gained.

Thanks so much for joining the inaugural class, we are counting on feedback and input from everyone to help us make this an amazing learning experience for all.

You can reach us with any comments or questions or ideas at info@modernmusicmasters.com

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 11:46 am    

Can't believe there has not been more feedback after launch??? Has there not been as much enrollment as anticipated??

Gary Thorsen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 1:04 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Can't believe there has not been more feedback after launch??? Has there not been as much enrollment as anticipated??

I'm thinking a whole bunch of steel players are in the woodshed studying this method. Perhaps, like myself, they are trying to digest what just hit them? If you happen to be one of those sitting on the fence let me say this - don't short yourself, BUY IT!! If you apply what Paul shows you here it WILL make you a better player - today.

Here is why I say that. The course is comprehensive and diverse. There is plenty of shared knowledge here for every skill level and musical interest - on ANY instrument, not just the steel. I've studied (a lot) since I started playing pedal steel in '72 and, IMO, Paul is really doing something monumental here. His focus is to give the student the tools needed to expand their craft. His method includes knowledge, theory, ear-training, technique, study habits (what to practice), soloing, improvisation, understanding of harmony, and maybe most importantly, how to expand your own creativity with overlooked fundamentals and knowledge you already have. Using his approach-note concept will open new doors instantly.

There is so much here it gives me hope for a great revival of the steel guitar. Paul is sharing his vast experience and background with us. He is guiding us in the right direction and teaching us how great musicians like Buddy Emmons, Curly Chalker, Hal Rugg and countless other great players (even Lenny Breau) thought. These were Paul's mentors and now, after decades of work learning from other great players, he's sharing how he thinks.

His approach is practical. He gives guidance to first make sure we've built a solid musical foundation BEFORE starting work on the roof. Then he hands over the tools to develop your own style - build your own roof.

Few teachers have the insight that Mr Franklin has, in fact, only a handful of musicians alive have as much knowledge and experience. I really think Paul has put himself on the road to greatness as a teacher with this course. Like his playing, his approach is pure genius. This course is THE most intelligently focused I have seen. What he does NOT include might be as important as the content and the logical order in which it's presented. Only someone with vast musical resources and instincts could do that. I am extremely thankful to Paul Franklin for sharing so much. In just a few short sessions of study I am already liking my playing much better and can't wait to sit back down behind my steel.

What else can I say? If you're ready to substantially improve your skill level it's the instructional deal of the century. If you haven't already done so - BUY IT!! My feeling is that if you don't, you're going to be left behind by those who do.

How's that for some feedback Sonny?

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2018 6:02 pm    

Is there a chat/communication area or a forum at the site?

Thanks
K

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 8:14 am    

On Test Drive. My Two Cents

On computer I could view video.
I was able to make and save both long notes and short notes and download and print pdf.

On Ipad, I was able to view video. I was able to make a very short note to be saved with the yellow save button. BUT When attempting to make a note several lines long, I was not able to access the yellow save button. So a long note could not be saved on Ipad. Perhaps it was the iPad browser i was using, which was Opera, I haven't had time to try saving longer notes on other iPad browsers. Also, I wasn't able to download a pdf on this browser.
Whether or not it is an iPad glitch or the browser I used is yet to be determined.

Other than that, I like the idea of small nuggets of information being presented. On long videos I would have to hunt around to review a particular topic within the video. Frustrating.. With a short video, you don't have to spend a lot of time looking for some key information within the video.

Will probably sign up as it appears to be the best available source of info for my purpose. (I just hope there is some time covering the universal tuning, but it shouldn't cause me too much heartache, since the band I play in I use the 10 string E9).

K

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 3:54 pm    

Well I must admit, that I was a bit apprehensive about signing up, but sign up I did when it first came out. Also I must say that it has opened a couple of (small) windows that I could not quite see thru.

I've sent in a couple of questions and the one I asked this morning regarding staying within the scale key when improvising was answered promptly and very thoroughly by Paul,,,very much appreciated!!!

I would certainly have to recommend this course for a player of any level!!!

David Pinkston

Hendersonville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 3:27 pm     Pfm

My 2 cents. Paul is a great teacher. Just because you are a great player doesn’t make you a great teacher. I consider Paul both. Yes it is expensive. More than many guitar sites I am a member of like Truefire. There are also many more guitar players than steel players so easier to amortize the production costs. I owned a golf instruction company and did videos with Peter Kostis (Accelerated Learning) and no one is getting rich in this biz. Would be great if you could buy the course and just pay for volumes you wanted like Jeff Newman used to do but the subscription model is becoming more industry standard (Microsoft, Adobe etc.)

Curious why the 5511 isn’t overhead like the others but maybe that’s an oversight. Would be great to have a monthly rate for those that want it and can only afford that.... with a discount if you pay it all upfront. That being said like many products it isn’t for everybody but everyone can learn something from it. Glad it is available and I hope that enough players can afford it so that it continues.

Bottom line is Paul and Bryan have done a great job and wishing them the best as it is top notch quality from a great player/teacher.

Good job guys....

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 4:08 pm    

Just started the course. There's lots of good information on there but I do wish there was a forum for students to share their knowlege or discuss the course. I sent a note to the course with this suggestion. Maybe there is a place already and I'm just not seeing it ? There is a half diminished chord that Paul plays in Danny Boy that I dont know the fingering for. Maybe someone here could help for the time being, but it would be nice if there was a forum specifically for people taking the course. Also perhaps a tab section.
Karen

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 7:33 pm    

I have not yet, been able to figure out, what you have to have to take this course. It is $495.00 for the course, then, all the computer things, to go along with it, in order to take the course. If you figure the cost of the course, then the computer equipment, then your guitar and etc. It would be quit expensive. Then when you have someone like me, who is not able to use all the computer gadgets, for lack of knowledge or money, there out of the picture. I too, wish they could be bought on DVD, with also a place to go, and talk with others, maybe of something, you may not understand. I know with Jeff, he was just a phone call away. I am sure that Paul's is a wonderful course, and is one of the best players, but the age of computers is letting a good many older people, like myself out. Maybe someone could help me figure this out, because I'd love to take the course, but the computer age leave me out.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 8:14 pm    

Looks to me like you have everything there. You obviously have a computer and a guitar. You are set. Just go to the web site and log on. Follow the instructions, if you can log on to SGF you can log on to the instruction site. All you need is the desire. Good Luck.👍

Franklin

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 12:03 am    

Hi Karen,

Its played at the 13th fret....Play group 3 (strings 5, 6, 8 ) with the F lever.
The Danny boy lesson you mentioned is about teaching players how to make their own arrangements.

In a few days the tab for all the harmonies up the neck and across the fretboard will be added to the section where I teach that subject...... I use this method in the studio when asked to create an intro or part for any song...

Paul

Franklin

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 12:15 am    

Thanks Niels,

Jim,
I am 63 and a virtual dinosaur when it comes to doing much with computers..I feel your pain...Once anyone registers they get inside they click on a subject and a video pops up and press play.
No special copedants are required.
All the best!
Paul

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 5:06 am    

Hey guys, If you are on the fence about this course, I cant tell you enough how invaluable it truly is. Paul is a passionate and gifted teacher. This course will certainly improve your understanding and playing and it will grow with you as Paul adds new instruction. You really cant put a dollar amount on that.

Craig