The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tascam 788 Video ?
Jimmie Miller

Dothan, Alabama
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2018 3:51 pm    

Is there an instruction video on the 788 ? I know it's outdated, but so am I !

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 8:45 am    

Long time 788 user here (since 2002).

Years ago, when I first got mine, there was a video that showed all of the road maps and routing and how to's for the 788.
I'm sure it's long gone.
Did you try a:
- Google search
- Tascam web site
- Youtube
- The forum at homerecording dot com

I just have to ask: Why are you inquiring about this long dead/obsolete machine?

Mine is still working, although some buttons are intermittent from time to time.
I know that it's old and only 8 tracks and all, but if Tascam reissued it I'd buy another.
It works, I know how to work it, and that's all that matters.

I have seen several used ones for cheap, and I would have snagged one, except that they were not upgraded to the latest firmware.

To do thst, you need the long out of production programmed EPROM from Tascam. If you had the equipment to copy existing EPROMS, you could probably sell them like hotcakes. AFAIK, all of the discs and whatnot are still available as downloads, but you need the EPROM programmed from Tascam to make a jump from one of the early versions to the next.

Another problem is that the 788 is pretty much useless without the stand alone CD drive.

It has been discussed here and other places before: Tascam is basically getting out of the home portastudio business.
They have IMO made some extremely dumb and head scratching moves in that area with their machines.

For that matter, Tascam and Cakewalk are both owned by Gibson, and there have been several discussions about where Gibson seems to be headed.