Author Topic:  Eminence eps 15 c
Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 6:54 am    

Anyone using this speaker? What do you think of it?[/code]

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 11:18 am    

I use one and like it a lot. I have it in a 1X15 enclosure that weighs 23lbs total. I power it with a G-K MB200 amp head. It has a very full range type of sound, not peaky or boomy anywhere. That being said, I don't have any other steel amps to compare it with, as I'm still fairly new to this...

Ideally, it would be best to get several amps & speakers together in the same room for A vs. B comparison testing.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 12:39 pm    

I've been using one for several years. I was one of the field testers for Eminence. It needs a break in period, like many new speakers. It was designed to be a direct replacement for a Peavey 1501-4, which in turn was a replacement for a 15" JBL. Thus my first impression when I tested the EPS-15C was "this sounds like the JBL K-130 I had in a Fender Twin Reverb". I've used mine with a GK MB200 and now with a Carvin BX500 amp.

Mine weighs 23lbs, too with cabinet and speaker.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 2:12 pm    

I use the EPS-15C in my old Peavey Session 400. Great speaker.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 6:11 pm    

I'm using one in a NV400. Sounds good and it sure helped on the weight.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 7:26 pm    

Like Keith I've been using the EPS-15C in a Peavey Session 400 for a couple of years now. I tried it out for reducing the weight of that model amp as vs. the weight of the original Black Widow and also because it was getting some pretty positive feedback from many members here on the Forum. It's been a pleasure...no disappointment here.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 9:18 am    

There are some companies, who simply put their name on the Eminence EPS-15C speaker, claiming it is their special speaker. In reality it is the "same" speaker as the EPS-15C, just with a different name on it. Of course you have to pay a huge price increase for the special name.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 12:26 pm    

I've got one that I put in a used open back lite cab that I bought from a nice gent here on the forum. Using a Quilter Tone block 200 and Black Box to power it. Super light and great sound. Love it.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 6:45 pm     Eminence 15 eps

I think the Eps15 is more musical, prettier sounding speaker than 1501. I bought one for my LTD 400 and love it. Gig with it every weekend. Got one for my Session 400 also. Its a great speaker. Makes loading so much easier too. Esp with the LTD.

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 5:36 am    

Keith Hilton wrote:
There are some companies, who simply put their name on the Eminence EPS-15C speaker, claiming it is their special speaker. In reality it is the "same" speaker as the EPS-15C, just with a different name on it. Of course you have to pay a huge price increase for the special name.

Guess the key word here is "some". Rolling Eyes
Not all do that however.

Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 5:37 pm    

Ok thanks everyone. Just curious about the break in period. How many hours?[/quote]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 2:22 am    

I don't know how long the break in period is. I played mine for about 8 hours straight on my stereo system to help it break in. I just used it on jobs and after a short while the "newness" went away.

Stanley Benoit

New Iberia,Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 10:14 am     Eps 15 C

Have one in a Nashville 400 going strong two years now and a lot of hours with no problems.

Jon Smorada

Industry, PA USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 6:13 am    

I've been in a discussion on the Quilter Owners Facebook group regarding the speaker that came with a recently purchased Quilter Steelaire. I discovered that while the speaker is one of theirs it isn't what they are currently putting in the Steelaires. I was sent a link to where I can purchase their custom Eminence speaker, http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/accessories-in-depth/eminence-quilter-custom-15.

I then asked if it was the same as the EPS-15C and was told no. The Eminence version has an aluminum coil and does not have a thermo-acoustic coating on the rear of the aluminum dome. (Which prevents dome splitting.)

I want to replace the existing speaker which has a terrible low end and don't know which speaker to buy; the Eminence or Quilter's custom Eminence. I'm confused Sad The Quilter speaker is a little more expensive than the Eminence. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jon

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 6:36 am     Me too!

I have one in each of my NV400s. I prefer the sound, weight and think they perform better then the originals at lower volume levels.

Jon Smorada

Industry, PA USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 7:25 am    

Dick,
Which speaker are you talking about, the Quilter Eminence or the EPS-15 C?

Jon

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 8:47 am     Off the box...

Eminence EPS-15C #76358-00216
I bought mine early on, took some breaking in.

I play E9th only and of course other opinions may vary.

Jon Smorada

Industry, PA USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 9:10 am    

Thanks, man...I appreciate it!
Jon

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 10:46 am    

You might call Eminence and ask them about the differences. I was able to talk to a helpful tech there about a year ago.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 11:21 am     Eminence eps 15

FWIW, I have a Steelaire rack mount and am using a Telonics cabinet with their stock 15 inch speaker (which is also Eminence) and am very happy with it. Shortly, Eminence will be shipping the Travis Toy TT-15. You might want to hold off and give it a try. This is what I would do.

BTW, how do I join the Steelaire Facebook group?

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 12:48 pm    

I bought a pair of the EPS-15C's mounted in separate cabinets. Revelation with Carvin HT400 stereo rack head. I'm sold on the sound and weight of the speakers. Tighter mids than the 1501. I agree with Jack, they sound similar to a JBL. If you're switching from the 1501 to the 15C, you'll have to tweak your amp setting slightly.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Mike Spaeth

Springdale, Arkansas
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 3:05 pm     re speaker

Did any of you use the Neo Sica 15" before switching to the EPS-15C ? If so, would you please describe the differences you heard ?

Thanks!

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 3:48 pm     Speakers

When the MB 200 amp heads became popular about 8 or 9 years ago I bought a cab from Tommy Huff with a Sica Neo speaker in it. I was very happy with the Sica speaker, but when the Eminence EPS-15 came along I ordered another cab and put the EPS-15 in it. To me, I like the highs better in the EPS-15 over the Sica. Two of my friends still have cabs with Sica speakers in them. Now I have an EPS-15 in one cab and a Telonics 15 in the other. I would have a difficult time choosing between the two. After trying a Carvin BX 500 for a couple of years I am back to a Gallien-Krueger MB200 for pedal steel and a little Quilter Micro Block 45 for lap steel. That little guy is about the size of a reverb pedal and can get plenty loud. I found the Carvin eq too confusing for me to dial in a tone I was happy with. I'm sure others will disagree with some or all of my comments. ha.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 7:56 pm     Eminince EPS-15C

I have a had a EPS-15C laying around since June 1017.
I finished a new cabinet for an amp. about 2 weeks ago, Built out of Birch plywood/covered with trunk liner cloth. I took the electronics out of a small Evans amp. and installed it with the EPS-15C in the new cabinet.
It took a few hours of playing through speaker before it really started to sounding great.
I had it at our weekly jam session Tuesday night and several players came around and said my steel sounded great with better note clearness.
I know when practicing I have to work harder as the sound is cleaner and if not exactly on the fret can be heard.

This old man is glad for the change. With a 7 1/2 lb. speaker, This amp weighs 32 pound with the travel cover on it going out the door to jam.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2018 9:58 am    

I sold an EPS-15C a short time back. I wish I hadn't. I liked it much better than the SICA. To my ears it had better balance across the spectrum, and a much better high end without being ice-picky. Naturally, it's subjective.