The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Scale length list?
Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 4:51 pm    

Stu Schulman wrote:
My Desert Rose guitars are 241/4"my GFI Is 24"wondering what others are using and why?
My Desert Rose is 24". (vintage pro)

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 8:32 pm    

Jim Palenscar wrote:
Stu- you are now the official compiler and purveyor of all things scale related on the pedal steel Smile

I started a spreadsheet a while back just to catalog dimensions of various guitars I've owned or come across as well as info from various forum threads, so it has columns for other dimensions and info besides just the scale lengths.

I just combined it with some of the numbers from this thread and uploaded it to a Google spreadsheet. It's one that everyone can edit (which probably means it will be a scrambled mess in no time but...)

Everyone feel free to fill in missing dimensions and other info, edit/correct info if your are certain it is incorrect, or add another row if there are multiple dimension for the same make/model, add new rows for additional guitars, etc. It's just info to share.

Stu - perhaps you could edit your OP to include the link so that everyone sees it

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 8:42 pm    

In the mid '60s, the earliest Baldwin era Sho-Buds had a roller nut in front of the changer and the scale was shorter, 23" I believe. When they changed to the more modern all-pull changer design shortly thereafter the production guitars were all 24" AFAIK. Before then it was the wild, wild, west so who knows.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 6:40 am    

Mullen D10 pre RP 24 1/4
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 11:25 am    

Stu, Being from Alaska, I would think you, of all people, would know that the scale length is proportionate to the size of the fish. Winking

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2017 1:08 am    

Ron,I'm not from Alaska,I was just in lockdown there for 35 years...I'm back in New Yawk!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Billy Morgan

Talladega, Alabama
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 7:11 am     Scale Length List

Jerry Jones posted that he is would like to know if there were other Sho-Buds with a 241/2" scale. I have a D-10 Pro II with a 241/2" scale. It looks like it stated out green but has faded to a golden brown color. The tone is amazing. I have never heard a another Bud that sounded any better. It also plays good and does not break many strings.

Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 8:56 am    

Well, that makes two guitars. Billy, if you have the serial number for your guitar, Gene Haugh may be able to provide some insight.