The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buzzy Steel
Ron Cote

Braintree, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 4:17 pm    

Does anybody have jim palencar phone number? MY SHOBUD HAS SOME BUZZY STRING'S UNLESS I PUSH DOWN HARD ON THE BAR, AND SOUNDS LIKE A SITTAR. I FEEL THAT EACH ROLLER SHOULD BE A DIFFERENT DEPH FOR EACH STRING. I HEARD HE MAKES PARTS FOR STEELS.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 6:51 am    

I know someone who does- 760-754-2120 Tues-Fri-10-5 PDT- email steelguitars@cox.net

Bobby Bonds Sr.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 12:02 pm     diferent depths

If the rollers had different depth of grooves to handle the different diameters of the strings, wouldn't all of the strings be at different heights? Like the separate bridges on a guitar? Works fine on a guitar because you're using fingers to press the strings down. But on a steel the bar has to make contact with more than one string at a time. Just asking.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 12:36 pm    

Using different groove depths is what allows the string TOPs to be level.

Bobby Bonds Sr.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 8:27 am     Buzzy steel

I understand what you're saying Dave. It only seems to be a problem up on the first or second fret, after that it doesn't make any difference. My G2 has to be pressed harder on the low end and it has rollers. But my new GFI has a solid bar for the nut, and it's sweet all the way down. Go figure!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 10:07 am     Re: Buzzy steel

Bobby Bonds Sr. wrote:
I understand what you're saying Dave. It only seems to be a problem up on the first or second fret, after that it doesn't make any difference. My G2 has to be pressed harder on the low end and it has rollers. But my new GFI has a solid bar for the nut, and it's sweet all the way down. Go figure!

+1 on this. Different widths makes more sense than different depths for the roller grooves. Since the gauges gradually decrease from low to high string, the strings are going to basically be flat across the top anyway, though not exactly parallel with the fretboard.

The buzzing strings may instead be the dreaded string groove wear on top of the changer finger.

Nathan Guilford

Oklahoma City
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 1:57 pm     Dreaded string groove

"dreaded string groove" I think I've got this problem on my MSA Classic. Well, more like a bur than a groove. Is it "dreaded" because you have to replace the finger or is it possible to carefully sand it down?

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 3:06 pm    

I was noticing that I have to use more downward pressure on my bar hand to keep the strings from buzzing near the nut too. Is this normal or do some makers make the strings flush on top with help of a gauged nut?
"Buzz Begone"
This product won't help Ron at the nut. But it might help Nathan with the grooves on the changer fingers.
It uses a real fine emory cloth attached to two thin sticks that allow you to sand the grooves out.
I've used it successfully on my P/P Emmons, but I am not real comfortable with what the long term affects might be.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pedal-Steel-Guitar-Buzz-Begone-Groove-Remover-PPs/281794886440?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 3:21 pm    

I've often wondered if Bell Bronze might be a better choice for changer fingers. It's considered to be "THE" musical metal. I've spoken to James Morehead(RIP) and Bent Rommes about this.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Bobby Bonds Sr.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 3:40 pm     Buzzy Steel

I believe GFI has solved the problem of the fingers getting grooves worn in them. They're made from a powered metal material and pressed under high temp and pressure. I haven't checked the hardness of mine, but I bet they're well over 65 on the Rockwell Hardness Scale. Which means you can't file or sand them. And the strings won't wear a groove in them.