The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who is this steel player with Charlie Walker?
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 3:32 pm    

Who is the gentleman playing steel in this clip? I can't place him. Sad He plays an interesting solo at 1:02 on a nice old Bud. Looks to be a perm (?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BrBqgLchnA

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 3:52 pm    

I'd like to know who the steel player is, too. He's in this clip too with the same guitar. When they pan away from Seely and Emmons to the band - he's on the right hand side of the stage. When he sees the camera he starts pretending to play but it's still Emmons playing. (Jerry Byrd is playing rhythm).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNLuQF7oVI4

Dale Hampton

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 4:20 pm     Steel player

I believe that Russ Wever told me that was Walter Haynes In the BE video. Maybe he will see this and confirm. If I am wrong, I sincerely apologize. Dale

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 6:09 pm    

Most definitely that is Walter Haynes. He lived in Texas for a few years towards the end of his life, we became friends.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 6:23 pm    

Awesome thanks y'all!

Didn't Buddy Emmons come in right behind him in the Cherokee Cowboys band?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 6:24 pm    

I live in a little dink town in NW PA of 7000 people but we did have a roller skating rink in town that somehow managed to book major Nashville artists. Walter Haynes played here behind Jimmy Dickens one year when I was just a few years old. Walter played on the original "We Could" cut with Dickens and took the time to email me that he listened to my version of the same song. Hard to believe that such a great talent would humbly take time to send me such an email.

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 3 Aug 2017 6:21 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 6:54 pm    

Walter came to my high school with Dickens right after "We Could" came out. He was very kind to me and insisted I sit down behind his Bigsby. I played him a very stripped down version of "We Could". He was very diplomatic.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 7:59 pm    

I think this is Walter playing guitar on the Billy Walker TV show. On this clip with Carl and Pearl Butler. I think the steel player is Bobby Seymour.

https://youtu.be/FFUs820cYqI

RC

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 8:16 pm    

Walt was my best friend the last 15 years of his life. Best friends like two teenagers that ran around town all day looking in music stores, eating hamburgers and talking about musicians and studios. Walt played steel and fiddle in my band for the last 15 years of his life. I use to have an old Dodge cargo van with only 2 seats and Walter would ride between me and my brother on a beer cooler so he could talk to us. This guy use to be the Vice President at MCA and produced artist like Conway Twitty, Loretta Lynn, Mel Tillis and a number one with Cal Smith but yet he was like a teenager going to his first gigs. That's how much great musicians love music. Anything you want to know about Walter just ask me. I knew him pretty well. I wired his home studio 3 times each time he would move. His wife Cindy always cooked for me. Walter and his wife Cindy were the nicest people I believe I have ever met. The cool thing about Walter I could ask him a question about someone like Emmons or Huey and if he didn't know the answer he would say "Let's just call him." He would and if they were unavailable they would return his call. He knew everybody. Buddy Emmons was one of his best friends and he thought Buddy hung the moon. He kept Buddy working in the studio and I would feel safe to say Walter called Buddy to do the show with Jeannie Seely. Here's a few pics of our travels. We also played steel guitar meets together. In one pic I'm playing steel while he fiddles. Walt also played fiddle on the Grand Ole' Opry for 14 years. In one pic we are in my studio. In another we are in my studio and he is sitting watching us practice. In the other pics we are at his other house in Pigeon Forge, Tn. and in another we are at a cabin I rented in the mountains while in Pigeon Forge both looking down at the huge goldfish swimming by a brook. Forgive me for being so long winded but I get excited when someone mentions my best buddy. I miss him everyday and everybody that knew him does too.

I forgot to mention that pic with Walter at the computer. He is telling me about the Steel Guitar Forum. He said "You can find out whatever you want to know here about steel guitars." That was the first I had heard about the forum.

Last edited by David Mitchell on 2 Aug 2017 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Danny Spinks

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 8:20 pm    

The steel player on the Carl & Pearle song is Sonny Burnette, based on the right hand pinkie and the wide shot of the band at the end of the song.

Buddy replaced Walter Haynes in Jimmy Dickens "Country Boys" band.

Danny

Last edited by Danny Spinks on 2 Aug 2017 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 8:27 pm    

That is correct. Walter is playing 6 string guitar on the Carl & Pearl Butler video.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 8:45 pm    

It was Walter that told me about the time him and Pete Drake left after a recording session to go out to a club near Nashville and watch Buddy play. It was the early 60's and Buddy was learning a bunch of hot licks so they decided to go check him out. All three were good friends by then. After the set had finished Walter and Pete walk up to Buddy sitting at his steel and Buddy looked up at Pete and ask "Can you do this?" then he played some smoken' hot licks. Pete pulled out a wad of hundred dollar bills that could choke a horse and spun em' in Buddy's face and asked "Can you do this?"

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 8:50 pm    

Quote:
Didn't Buddy Emmons come in right behind him in the Cherokee Cowboys band?

Tommy, you've probably figured it out from the other posters. But Buddy followed Walter in the Dickens band. There's a story I won't get into. But Walter unknowingly helped Emmons get to Nashville a little quicker. Buddy would have of course made it there with or without the Dickens band. But it never hurts to come in on a fast train.

b.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 3:22 am    

Ah yes that's right. Thanks Bobby!

Thanks for sharing the great memories y'all. I sure wish I had met the man.

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 5:05 am    

I went to see Jimmy Dickens in Tuscaloosa Alabama in 1953. I was attending the University of Alabama and I walked all the way down town to a theater to see him. He had Thumbs Carlisle and Walter Hanes in his band, and I was blown away. After the show I talked to Walter and you could not ask for a musician to be any nicer. I've always rated him as one of the best steel players I've heard in person.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 6:32 am    

More trivia from here:

http://www.route66news.com/2008/03/18/girl-in-the-billboard-was-for-real/

"According to AllMusic.com, “Girl on the Billboard” was written by Walter Haynes and Harry Mills. I’ve be unable to uncover any more information about the song or its inspiration."

"UPDATE: I spoke on the phone to Cindy Haynes, wife of “Girl on the Billboard” co-writer Walter Haynes. She explained that Walter was inspired to write it when he became stuck in traffic in Nashville and saw a pretty girl in a swimsuit on a Coca-Cola billboard. He wrote much of “Girl on the Billboard” in the dust that had collected on his car’s dashboard before he got it down on paper.

Later, in a follow-up e-mail, Walter Haynes told me this about the song’s evolution:

… Hank Mills put in a few lines, the one about Route 66 and two or three more. I wrote it in 1965 and I had Del do the demo and he put in the ‘Doo Doo Doo.’ That one kinda got Del Reeves up and running. Of course a million seller will do that for you. Wish I could write one every year."

Mel Tillis' original version of Heart Over Mind featured Walter on pedal steel. This was before Shorty Lavender's awesome fiddle intro arrangement was created. Great slow pedal drags and some cool 3rd pedal stuff on this cut!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1TCnzuJcj8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 8:27 am    

Thanks to all for a great post.

Here is the complete May 2, 1955 Columbia session that produced "We Could." Here is Tater with Walter Haynes and the Country Boys plus 3 at the Castle Studio. Two months later Buddie Emmons would join the Country Boys Band.

2 May 1955 [19:00-23:00] Castle Studio At The Tulane Hotel, 206 8th Ave. North, Nashville 3, TN - Little Jimmy Dickens (Johnny Johnson [rh gt], Howard Rhoton [el gt], James Wilson [el gt], Walter Haynes [steel], Joel Price [bass], Farris Coursey [drums], Louie Dunn [fiddle], Del Wood [piano]. Producer: Don Law)

083 CO 53376/NASH 1978/JZSP-36204? WE COULD 4-21434/CL 1047 A-24201 BCD-15848
084 CO 53377/NASH 1979/JZSP-36205 HEY WORM! (YOU WANNA WIGGLE) 4-21491/LPS 3007 LP-5130 BCD-15848
085 CO 53378/NASH 1980/JZSP-36206 WHERE DID THE SUNSHINE GO 4-21491/ LP-5130 BCD-15848

“WE COULD”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JmNvEbIEgw

“HEY WORM! (YOU WANNA WIGGLE)”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwjyZPWII0E

“WHERE DID THE SUNSHINE GO”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBU1bXkIPUA

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 11:01 am    

This has turned into a great thread y'all! Wow!

Thanks so much! Glad I asked a dumb question Razz

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 12:27 pm    

Mr. Detamore, sir: Don't be feeling dumb. I met and talked to Walter Haynes in the late 80's couldn't ID him here. That's dumb.