The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hank Thompson
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 6:07 pm    

J R Rose wrote:
Thanks Herb for your last post on this subject. I like the word you used (differentiate). To backup and play for a "Star" does not make you a band member. But bragging rights maybe?? To wear the uniform and ride the bus is a whole different ballgame. To record with that person would be the icing on the cake. You Sir have been their and done that. I pat you on the back. J.R. Rose

Okay so I played for Hank Thompson two or three times in 93 or 94. The guys and I were once introduced by the rodeo announcer in Sidney Iowa as Hank Thompson and The Brazos Valley Boys. So was I or wasn't I?

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 1:04 am    

Fred, thanks for the comments and stories. I talked to you once at the Steel Convention in St. Louis about Whit Taylor. I had heard that he had played with Hank Thompson from some of the local players that knew him in my hometown, but I'm sure that you would know better than anyone if he had since you two were such good friends. I would like to elaborate a little on the story I told earlier. I was playing at a bar in Pueblo Colorado in the early 1990's at a place that I believe was called Mrs. C's. It was on the outskirts of town, near the fairgrounds and the State Fair was going on. I was tuning up and this older guy comes up and starts talking to me about pedal steels. He said the only steel player that he had ever known worked for Hank Thompson. I asked him what his name was and he said Whit Taylor. I got a huge kick out of this guy mentioning a steel player from back home. Perhaps Hank Thompson had sat in with a band he was playing with, or he had played in a band that had opened for Hank. I know that he was a character, as I have heard lots of stories with similar stage antics as you described. Mitch, thanks for posting the pictures. Its cool that he played a Bigsby, that's something I didn't know. I'm sure Hank had some great steel players who knew a lot of jazz chords, his music lent itself to that style of playing.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 7:29 am    

Quote:
The guys and I were once introduced by the rodeo announcer in Sidney Iowa as Hank Thompson and The Brazos Valley Boys. So was I or wasn't I?

IMO, you were when you were playing for him..

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 4:05 pm     Hank

I have heard it said that one job qualilifys. I think it could be argumentative but whatever you say. In conversations I have said I worked with ....... maybe only once, maybe twice.

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 4:07 pm     Whit

Yes, Bob, I do remember you. Also talked a couple times on here.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 1:36 am    

Fred, there is a "Stories" section on the Forum now. I'd love to hear more Whit Taylor stories from you, or any other ones that come to mind. I love hearing road stories from the past, especially from the early days when pedals were just starting to be used in the late 50's and early 60's. A friend of mine told me a great Whit Taylor story where they were in a club in a small town in Illinois and someone wanted to hear a classical song, I can't recall which one, but my friend said that the guy told Whit he'd give him $100 to play it and Whit wound up with the money. To get back on the original topic, I would also love to hear some stories about the Hank Thompson band from back in the day, if anyone has any. Smile

Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2017 5:22 pm    

In another thread on Whit Taylor, he came to a tragic end. While in Galesburg Illinois in 1974 I believe, he was visiting friends. He I think his name was Nelson, and Whit were hit head on by a drunken dope head who survived the collision. Whit was killed instantly and Nelson ended up in the hospital for 6 weeks. The dope head received little time in jail and later on killed a family of four in Nebraska.This was all related to me by Nelson's wife in Galesburg maybe 10 years ago.

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 8:15 am    

All I can add is I've been on a Hank Thompson listening kick lately and Bob Garrett's work on the 'live' albums (Texas State Fair, Cheyenne Rodeo, Golden Nugget) from the early 60's is off the hook! Very much an under-rated steeler! A nice bonus on those records is the inclusion of Merle Travis on guitar! I had no idea.....and I just love Hank's vocal tone and delivery!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Mark Moseley

Brady,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2017 3:51 pm    

Wow,. lets not forget Curly Chalker, Bert Rivera, and Jim Murphy!

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2017 7:34 pm    

I heard that Hank had both Bobby Black & Bob White playing twin steels at one time.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 7:23 am    

Tony Glassman wrote:
I heard that Hank had both Bobby Black & Bob White playing twin steels at one time.

I think that's a gray area.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 9:18 am    

Good one, Herb.. Laughing

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 6:30 pm     I had that record

Tony Glassman wrote:

Not a myth, I had that record, but don't remember the name of it.
It's very western swing and they both sounded great on it.
Gave my vinyl record collection to my younger brother when I moved overseas.
I'd bet Joe Goldmark would know the details and I'd bet he has a copy.

MY ERROR;
Not sure what I was thinking of when I wrote that. The album I had was with Curly Chalker and Bob White together on a Hank Thompson record. My brain must be disintegrating from age and too much fun? But I do remember that it was a very good vinyl record.

Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 24 Feb 2018 5:09 am; edited 2 times in total

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 6:27 am    

Bob Watson wrote:

>I was playing at a bar in Pueblo Colorado in the early 1990's at a place that I believe was called Mrs. C's. It was on the outskirts of town, near the fairgrounds . . .

Bob, could it have been known as Mrs. G's? Real name the Silver Saddle or Golden Saddle, something like that?

I played there in early 80s with Montana Skyline.

Chris Brooks

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 10:31 am    

I just had breakfast with Bobby Black, who assured me that although he was offered the job with Thompson, he didn't accept it and never recorded with Bob White. His pal from high school, Pee Wee Whitewing was the player that filled that gig.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?