C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 1:51 pm    

Smile

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 1:57 pm     Re: One of the all time greatest

C Dixon wrote:
Kayton had refused for 25 yrs to play at any of the Steel Guitar Conventions. Scotty literally begged him to, but Kayton's reply was always,

"I don't play them damned pedals. People don't want to hear a player that does not play them damned pedals; and I do NOT play them damned pedals. People will not come to see a NON pedal player. And I don't play....Etc, etc, and ETC.

I did not know about any of this. So when Hal Rugg and Larry Sasser asked me to produced the Steel Guitar Extravaganza show in Atlanta in '97; I called him up and asked him to play at the show; because I wanted him more than words could say.

Of course he came unglued. "I don't play them damned pedals. NO one wants to hear non pedal steel so I AINT coming! The answer is NO! I don't play them damned pedals".

So I continued to ask him to play. Finally I said, "Kayton, I really wish with all my heart that you would play. They will love you brother. Please reconsider".

He paused for a moment and said, "Well aint NO body ever told me that before. So I guess I'll come, but them people AINT gonna like it."

I said "thank you so much", and he was booked.

Lo and behold, when he had finished playing at his designated time, the fans went absolutely crazy. He got 4 "encores". People were screaming for more and more.

I walked over to Kayton with my mic and said, "Kayton, IF I asked you to play next year, would you come?"

He yelled into that mic, "You would have to DRIVE me away!" And the fans screamed even louder. What an unbelievable show he put on. Then, Bobby Caldwell started picking the intro to "I'm Movin ON". The fans screamed even louder. Kayton, smiling from here to eternity, sat down and played the entire song and the fans went crazy again. It was truly one of the all time "joys" of my life.

He and I became very close friends after that. May Jesus rest his precious soul. One of the greatest SG players I have ever heard; and had the pleasure to watch his incredible dexterity. His talents can NOT be described I believe. There was nothing he could not play and play beautifully.

I shall take to Heaven his playing.

Love you Kayton

I believe that was the first time I saw Kayton play. He always blew me away - a true master of the instrument. Thanks for sharing that story, Carl.

Bob Farlow

Marietta,GA,
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2018 7:59 am    

Carl, it's great to see you on the forum again. Man!!! what a performance that was Kayton did on that show. Love ya brother.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2018 8:22 am     One of the all time greatest

Yes AND if it had not been for you Bob; and our other "brothers" AND Jesus; the show would have been a flop; IF it ever got off the ground.

You could not have been better for that show. I cherish all you did my dear friend.

May Jesus richly bless you and yours always Bob.