The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Endless Summer - Video ^^^
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2017 3:20 pm    

Summer's here, surf's up! D9 tuning. 6 strings. Thanks for listening.

---click---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W82dYp-odi4

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2017 6:42 pm    

Wo! Freakin' awesome, Doug.

A master does his thing.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2017 7:02 pm    

Thanks, Andrew!

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2017 8:10 pm     Nice !!!!

Doug, that's freekin fantastic.

As a So. California surfer that has grown up with sand in my shorts and kelp in my ears, this just makes my day. Love that tuning you are using.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2017 8:28 pm    

Thanks, Tom! I'm glad you like it. I wish I could say I was a surfer, but the closest I ever got was a boogie board on Cape Cod! Cool

Einar Baldursson

Stockholm, Sweden
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2017 10:13 pm    

Sounds beautiful as always! I like that tuning as well.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 3:53 am    

Cool tuning, relaxed phrasing and killer tone for Surf music from that old Valco, Doug. I wasn't familiar with that tune. I like it! You should do a CD of similar tunes. I'd buy it. Smile

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 7:49 am    

Thanks guys, the song was written and recorded by The Sandals for the 1966 documentary "The Endless Summer". It's about surfers who travel around the world in search of the perfect wave. I had never heard of the song until a few months ago when one of my guitar students asked me about it. The movie cost $50,000 to make and the Box office was $20 million!

Here's the original song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg4FvOi-N18

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 10:19 am    

Nice one as usual, I could smell the Coppertone.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 10:47 am    

Miserlou is another tune that would suit the tone you get from that guitar, Doug. Worked it out years ago in A6th but never wrote it down so I can't recall a lick of it now. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLUex-lNB9g

Bosse Engzell

�ppelbo, SWEDEN
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 11:02 am    

As always a nice tune and well played, I Think it was NEW strings on the steel to!!!

Bosse in Sweden

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 11:03 am    

I think I have the sheet music for Miserlou, but it's the basic melody, not the fast tremolo picking Dick Dale style.

A couple of guys have asked me if C6 can be tuned down to this D9. Yes, except that string 6 will be pretty floppy when tuned down to A (from C). I changed string 6 to a .042 for this song. Strings 4 and 5 will work fine when tuned down;

Tab:

C6     D9       

E      E 
C      C
A      A
G      F#
E      D
C      A

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 5:01 pm    

Love it, Doug. Like you, I'm a fan of the l950-60s instrumentals.The lap steel with some reverb/ delay rules!
Chuck

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 8:32 pm    

Thanks, Chuck. I think we're about the same age, and we both heard a lot of surf-spy-western guitar twang in our youth. Some sounds just stay with you for life!

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 8:54 pm     Endless Summer

My friend, Earl, was on the film crew that made the film. They traveled all over the world. His job was to paddle out at an unknown spot, try the waves, map out where the rocks were and determine if the surf spot was "sharky". If all was good, he would come in and the stars would paddle out with the cameras rolling. I must have seen this film about 50 times.

Here in San Diego county, most of the steel players also surf. Not sure why.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 9:20 pm    

The movie is highly rated by critics. I've never seen it, but I hope to someday.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2017 7:37 am    

Doug, as always nice playing and great sounds ! I think I am a little older than you guys, but the Ventures were my idols of guitar and I learned a bunch of their music on 6 string electric guitar...it was easy to play and sounded good...my two most important requirements for a tune ! haha
It would be interesting to work up a bunch of Ventures style tunes on the steel...I remember I learned "Yellow Jacket" and taught it to my guitar teacher and he liked it so well he taught it to others as well.

When I was in a high school rock band, we played Miserlou, and kids always liked to dance to it.

Thanks for the posts Doug...I always enjoy them !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2017 7:41 am    

Thanks, Larry. I grew up hearing the Ventures music too. One of the first albums I bought was The Ventures, Live in Japan. Great stuff.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 2:14 pm    

Think Summer! I thought this would be a good time to bump this thread! December 27th... knee deep in snow. -4 degrees every night this week.

James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 2:52 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Thanks guys, the song was written and recorded by The Sandals for the 1966 documentary "The Endless Summer". It's about surfers who travel around the world in search of the perfect wave. I had never heard of the song until a few months ago when one of my guitar students asked me about it. The movie cost $50,000 to make and the Box office was $20 million!

Here's the original song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg4FvOi-N18

I used to have that movie poster on my bedroom wall. Was an avid surfer in my teens, probably inspired by seeing that film when it first ran (I was 11 at the time).

Cool tune. As usual, you did a really nice job with the steel arrangement.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 6:09 am    

Definitely a cool poster. I spent the summers of my youth on Cape Cod. Too young for surfing, but I was hell on a boogie board!

Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2017 6:25 am    

That's some amount of snow you have there Doug. If we have a couple of inches in the UK we are paralysed! Maybe your next steel tune should be called "Endless Winter".

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 6:31 pm    

Great rendition, Doug. I'm a long-time surf guitar player. Yeah, the New England waves aren't exactly surf-worthy, but I grew up doing the Nantasket/Cape Cod boogie board thing myself. But did a little bit while living in Pacific Beach in the 70s - off the Scripps Pier in La Jolla. I was the ultimate gremmie, but it was fun.

Now that I'm retired from full-time teaching, my surf band, The Delverados (formerly the Four Horsemen of the Oppossum Lips), is back playing again. One of these days, I need to take the plunge to play some of this stuff on steel. There's been some resistance, trying to keep my guitar/amp rig from getting too complex. But I think a lot of the more vibey surf stuff lays out great on steel. OK, I'm probably gonna stick with guitar on stuff like Misirlou and Flight of the Surf Guitar. Around here, at least, everybody expects insanely fast and furious tremelo picking on that kind of stuff.

Also of note - Endless Summer filmmaker Bruce Brown died on Dec 10, 2017:

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/iconic-california-surf-filmmaker-passes-away-rip-bruce-brown-1937-2017_150881/

I think that was a transformational movie in terms of sporting documentaries. Sometimes in the dead of winter, I'll loop that movie all night long with a projector and soak in the faux UV rays. In fact, that sounds like a good idea tonight. It's cold enough to freeze the nipples off a boar hog.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 6:55 pm    

Thanks Dave, it's great to hear that you're into surf guitar. Guys of our generation grew up hearing surf on the radio, and for me, it's the first stuff I learned on guitar. Sad news about Bruce Brown passing away. Oddly enough, on the day he died I was teaching a guitar lesson to the student who turned me on to the song "The Endless Summer". He sent me an email a couple of days after the lesson to tell me about the coincidence. During the lesson we played "The Endless Summer" and a couple of other surf tunes.

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 8:23 pm    

That was great! Your intonation is spot on, as usual.