The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cube 80 vs Katana 100
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 10:23 am    

At rehearsal the other night, I finally heard the noise gate issue on the Cube 80 (gx) that many have mentioned. This was pretty low volume playing, not gig worthy, but it really started to bug me. Generally I like the amp. I moved up from the Cube 60x recently, and I think this is noticeably better. But that noise gate "thing".....

So, Has anyone directly AB'd the Cube 80 and the Boss Katana 100-112? Last time someone asked on a post, no one chimed in. I'm thinking of just buying the Katana and doing it myself, but I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who already has.

Curiously, a couple of months ago I played through an Ampeg BA-112, which is what I sold when I moved on to the Cube 60 several years ago, and I think I liked it as much as the cube 80. So maybe I need to try that amp again. Okay: I have to stop now; I'm getting dizzy from chasing my own tail.

Alan Cannell

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 12:15 pm     Cube vs Katana

Dan , I have the Roland Cube 80x and the Katana 100 and I have always been unhappy with the Cube noise gate problem. The Katana is not the same technology and does not have that problem but they do sound different so you're best to try them side by side. Personally I prefer the Katana to the Cube but I play guitar through it more than the Pedal & Lap Steel. I have found that the Katana sounds bad from behind but the Cube is fine , whether it's due to the Cubes closed cab and the Katanas open back I don't know.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 2:43 pm    

I have a Cube 80 that I play Steel through. It seems to get hashy if I pick to hard or push it. My local music store just got some of the new Katanas in. I think I'll try one.
I'm also trading for a Fender Performer 1000 100 watt. Does anyone know anything about them.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2017 5:02 am    

I have a Cube 80 and I went in a local music store to check out the Katana. Obviously not a side by side comparison but I really was not so impressed with the tones I dialed in on the 6 string I was playing through the Katana. Nothing wrong with it, just nothing unique, impressive, etc. Nice control layout and just a neat panel.
Difference IMHO came in the construction. My Cube 80 is built like a tank. Everything is wrapped up tight and looks like it could go out into the field. Looking into the back of the Katana, I was surprised to see glue squeezed out of all joints, no visible screws, just glued in cletes. It looked cheap and sloppy. I know that may or may not affect sound but it was not impressive. Also, the Katana 100 that I played was surprisingly heavy and I wasn't sure why - magnet was not that big, solid state.
So at this point, even at $329, I was not moved to get a Katana 100.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2017 5:06 am    

Dan: Bought a Katana 100 last week, if your in Wells stop by and you can check it out on my Justice Pro Lite or lug your gear here.
Bruce Bjork

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2017 5:10 am    

Hey Bruce,

that's great. What is a good day/time for you this week?

Thanks!

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2017 5:15 am    

Friday late morning on is good, I'll PM my location.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2017 8:25 pm    

My friend at our local music store allowed me to take the Katana 100 home to try it on Steel. It was OK on my Tele but wasn't impressed on steel. Compared to my Cube 80 it's a poor imitation. IMHO
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

W. J. Copeland

Palestine, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 4:34 am     Settings for the Cube 80

I have a new Cube 80 GX I am tring on pedal steel. I may or may not keep it, depending on what it sounds like. For those using the Cube 80, can you share which settings you have found to be adequate. Thanks in advance.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2017 2:53 am    

I don't understand why the Roland Cube 80 got so popular with pedal steel players. I have been playing a Cube 60, the first rendition of the amp modeling series put out by Roland, since it came out. I really like it a lot. I never have gigged with a Cube 80 or any of the models that have come out since, but I did play through one at a music store and I didn't like what I heard near as much as I do my Cube 60. Go figure???? Roland Cube 60's rule!

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2017 4:16 am    

Bob Watson wrote:
I don't understand why the Roland Cube 80 got so popular with pedal steel players. I have been playing a Cube 60, the first rendition of the amp modeling series put out by Roland, since it came out. I really like it a lot. I never have gigged with a Cube 80 or any of the models that have come out since, but I did play through one at a music store and I didn't like what I heard near as much as I do my Cube 60. Go figure???? Roland Cube 60's rule!

Yes!!
I have two, and play in stereo... Very Happy
IMHO (and others agree!) the 60 always was best...
..and the 80XL was better than the 80GX.

Not the first time that Roland dumbed things down as time went on... Confused

Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2017 7:26 am    

If you have the Katana Boss 100; and you don't like it; you haven't got it dialed in. Stick with it. Best amp I've played!
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 11:49 am    

I ordered a Katana 100 head, and also bought a Line6 single 12" (8 ohm Celestion) cab. Line6 website can give you the freq. specs on their speaker. The cab is closed back, but with front facing ports on the baffle.

I was looking for an in-between amp, my two other work horses are a modified Mustang I (replaced the 8 inch stock speaker with a 10" Celestion "blues" speaker).... very lightweight, but only 20 watts... and of course my Quilter Steelaire....

I have found the Katana Head/Line6 cab a really nice combination... lots of tight bottom when I want it, nice clear highs as well... a plus is you can select wattage at 5; 50; or 100 watts.... and 4 channels to store user programmed tone/FX settings.

I'll post more later after a few months of road testing... but so far very nice.