The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ol' Blue is coming along!
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2019 3:59 pm    

Looks like it's time for paint... Junior has chosen blue. I was pulling for old-timey Fender sunburst. Big Red is still missing.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2019 5:13 pm    

I never knew you were the guy who made them. Will the new one be a clone or does Jr. want some options?
When I was a young man starting my Tool and Die maker apprenticeship I bought one of those Optivisors. After I bought it, I thought, why did I spend the money on this.............52 years later I now know why!
Crying or Very sad

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2019 7:38 pm    

Bill Groner wrote:
I never knew you were the guy who made them. Will the new one be a clone or does Jr. want some options?
When I was a young man starting my Tool and Die maker apprenticeship I bought one of those Optivisors. After I bought it, I thought, why did I spend the money on this.............52 years later I now know why!
Crying or Very sad

Oh man, that's not me! Most folks should know Michael Stevens when they see him... started the Fender Custom Shop, an amazing person to know. His shop is in the town I was born in... that's how I met him, when he moved to west Texas.

Just got off a nice long phone call with him... he's got many irons in the fire, the latest (besides building Ol' Blue) is working with Fender and Eric Johnson on a line of sassafras-bodied custom shop Strats. He makes very fine guitars that you and I can't afford, most likely.

Big Red had a Sho-Bud pickup installed, but Ol' Blue is getting the real-deal NOS Stringmaster pickup treatment (rat-holed from his time there)... so it's basically a normal Guit-Steel, aside from whatever parts Junior gives him to use. He'll be at NAMM hanging out at the Fender booth with Eric etc... that would be a cool one to make!

www.stevensguitars.com

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2020 1:18 am    

Stephen Cowell wrote:
Bill Groner wrote:
Crying or Very sad

Oh man, that's not me! Most folks should know Michael Stevens when they see him... started the Fender Custom Shop, an amazing person to know. His shop is in the town I was born in... that's how I met him, when he moved to west Texas

Well don't I feel embarrassed! Now that I put my optivisor on, I see that guy looks nothing like your Avatar! You have to forgive me, even after 3 years since my first build and joining SGF I am still a newbie and learning a lot. Thanks for the clarification.

Just got off a nice long phone call with him... he's got many irons in the fire, the latest (besides building Ol' Blue) is working with Fender and Eric Johnson on a line of sassafras-bodied custom shop Strats. He makes very fine guitars that you and I can't afford, most likely.

Big Red had a Sho-Bud pickup installed, but Ol' Blue is getting the real-deal NOS Stringmaster pickup treatment (rat-holed from his time there)... so it's basically a normal Guit-Steel, aside from whatever parts Junior gives him to use. He'll be at NAMM hanging out at the Fender booth with Eric etc... that would be a cool one to make!

www.stevensguitars.com

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2020 7:22 am    

Bill Groner wrote:

[color=blue]Well don't I feel embarrassed! Now that I put my optivisor on, I see that guy looks nothing like your Avatar!

Laughing

Dan Yeago

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2020 2:29 pm    

Thanks for posting this. What a great connection...did he mention what p/u's are going on the round neck side? I recall seeing a famous pic of Leo Fender wearing one of those magnifiers. Maybe from the G&L days?

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2020 11:10 am    

Dan Yeago wrote:
Thanks for posting this. What a great connection...did he mention what p/u's are going on the round neck side? I recall seeing a famous pic of Leo Fender wearing one of those magnifiers. Maybe from the G&L days?

The pickups for the guitar side are normally Duo-Sonics... they came RWRP* already, and that's the most interesting thing about Junior's tone, the Stringmaster-type humbucking pair on the bridge. That was my first Fender, a Duo-Sonic II that I found under my uncle's bed after he left home. Stolen! I eventually paid him back.

Michael is now selling off his Stringmaster parts stash... you can get a NOS in-the-paper tuning pan for 200$... SM diamonds are 50$ a pair, one big/one little.

*RWRP... reverse-wound, reverse-polarity.