The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Day Copedant?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 10:07 am    

Another 'Day' player here.

In my case, my first guitar (a ZB) was set up that way and I knew no different.

Like many others, I find that rolling the ankle on an Emmons set up is more difficult; CBA seems comfortable.

I lower and raise the Es on the left. I agree with the theory that raising the pitch of a string seems intuitively proper pushing to the right; we move our bar to the right to play higher notes.

Consequently, when I started to look more seriously at C6th, I had my central knee-levers arranged in the same way - MKL lowers C, MKR raises the two Cs. RKL lowers my As, RKR raises them. That gives me parity with my E9 neck.

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 19 Nov 2022 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 12:25 pm    

I have played Emmons the 3 years I have been playing until 3 weeks ago bought a new steel set up Day. I decided to try it for a week before changing it over. I actually like it better, it feels much more natural.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 1:10 pm    

Doug Taylor wrote:
I have played Emmons the 3 years I have been playing until 3 weeks ago bought a new steel set up Day. I decided to try it for a week before changing it over. I actually like it better, it feels much more natural.

I know. It's like night and DAY

Sorry... I'll double my Prozac and go back to my room now. 🤪

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2022 8:27 am    

I’ll say this once more then I’ll hush. Day setup( I refuse to use copedent) makes a lot more sense, is easier to play and just forget about the 2 cents cabinet drop, just learn to play in tune. Although I rock my foot both ways, the A pedal alone is used a lot more than the B pedal alone and A pedal is a lot easier with Day. The knee levers are just as easy one way as other, it’s only the pedals that make Emmons set up a little more difficult to do, for me any way. I learned on Emmons and didn’t know at the time there was another way. After playing Jack Matthews Day set up guitar, we changed mine that afternoon. I know some of the best players on planet play Emmons but that doesn’t make it easier, its just because they maybe started that way and are used to it.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2022 4:32 pm    

I started on Day because my first instrument was set up that way and tough to change. Now that I play a universal, having the A pedal next to P5 is really useful - the C pedal would just be in the way.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2022 4:49 pm    

I think a lot of what makes players go Day or Emmons is the area. If there is a person in the area, Who plays steel, Works on Steels or sells Steels, They will set guitars up till They can play and demonstrate the guitar. If you are a Newee, You sort of have to go with the flow. But if you have a knee or foot problem you may want to change pedals and knee levers

The first steel I had, I built, Using a Sho-Bud set up Day as sort of a pattern, A local player had.
Then I bought
One of the most comfortable steels I have ever set down to, It Was a MSA S10 Classic, The C pedal was in the 3rd pedal slot on the pedal bar, B 4th pedal slot, A 5th slot. Was as comfortable as sitting in my desk chair at work.